National Anthem

The General

QUOTE(ladyliondad14 @ Nov 8 2005 - 12:10 AM)

I have noticed that when the National Anthem is played before games there is a very big LACK of respect for our Nation's official hymn. People are expected to stand still and look at our Flag while the Anthem is being played, but I've noticed that instead players, cheerleaders and fans (young and old) tend to do everything but. Nobody get offended because I'm not saying its everyone but its not just one or two either. I've noticed that people laugh, talk, play around, drink their soda, pick their nose and even blow bubbles with their gum. When you are standing looking at the Flag and in your peripheral vision you see things like this going on its a total distraction. I realize that alot of the younger kids don't know any better but Jr High and High School students and especially adults should know better. Maybe its because I spent so many years in the Army serving my country and I still take patritosim and things that go on with our military and our country very seriously, especially since 9-11 with so many of our military soldiers risking and giving their lives to make sure we are safe and giving us the freedom to hold sporting events. I'd just like to know how everyone else feels about this because I myself with everthing that I've given to the military and our fine country feel saddened and personally disrespected because people take too much for granted what has been handed to them and cann't give a minutes respect for our Nations Hymn. Sorry for such a long post but I just don't see what's so hard about this especially since my four year old will be still and hold her hand over her heart for most of the National Anthem before her curious attention span takes over so why cann't much older kids and adults do it. With all my complaining aside I'd like to wish all teams and players in the great state of Tennessee the best of luck this season and hope everyone finished the season injury free.

Saw this on the girls message board and thought it was good.

It's good that it's brought up and worded so well, but it's pretty darn sad that any veterans have to see this type of behavior. Last year in the student section I would be embarrassed to be there during the Anthem because of the lack of respect shown. Granted it's not just teenagers doing this, but I'd say more than 75% of it is.

I guess if we went through a world war like our grandfathers, where 80,000 men are still MIA, it would be more respected. Well I'll get off the soapbox now. Good luck to GC.

I've noticed the same thing. I agree with you guys.

I have also noticed that during school, some students are not respectful toward the flag. I have seen with my own eyes a girl that would not stand during the pledge, and then when asked...she would stand and turn her back. Where did this behavior come from?

It probably comes from spoiled brats given the right of free speech with a twist of ignorance of the function of a stable government.(aka-French) Last year there was a guy that refused to stand for the pledge in my class too, and he was to say the least, ignorant.... really he's stupid, but that's not very politically correct is it? :thumb:

Not sure whether to say fortunately or unfortunately....but they have that right....that choice------BECAUSE OF OUR VETERANS! Too bad they don't get it! Perhaps they would get it if their daddy was gone for over 12 months to a violent filled country like my children's daddy has been. I'm not a veteran, but my husband is...as this is his 2nd tour and I have to tell you it offends me when people do not at least stand to honor our flag...........OUR COUNTRY. It also offends my children. Just this year some guys were cutting up and laughing during the National Anthem at a football game....my daughter heard them and afterwards she marched down there and told them she would appreciate it if they would stand quietly while that song is being played! You go GIRL!!!!

So for those of you who do not stand..........you have that right, but stop and think how and why!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!