Rankings

werazzlin

Am I the only person that thinks rankings are taken WAAAAY too seriously? Rankings are done for fun and recognition. When a person is ranked, that doesn't exactly mean that is what they will place in the state. Lets do our talking on the mats guys. I have seen several wrestlers that aren't ranked come in and place at the state tournament. I've also seen several ranked wrestlers fail to place. Also on a side note, John Vadergriff (not picking on him because I think he IS a fine young man) was the #1 ranked heavyweight going into the state tournament last year, and he failed to make neither the finals nor the consolation finals. And the list is deeper than just John. Billy Plunk from Harpeth was the 2nd ranked 119 pounder for most of last season and he failed to medal. Cole Geren was not even ranked, but came into last years tournament and defeated the #6 and #3 guys in route to a runnerup finish. Those are just a few examples. There are several more that can be brought up. I'm not picking on these guys, I'm just proving my poing which is: Being ranked doesn't make you unbeatable, untouchable or even a "WHOO WHOO" wrecking train. Being ranked is a double edged sword at times because it puts a bullseye on your for the guys that aren't ranked. It puts and even bigger bullseye on you when you get on the message boards and brag about how well you did this summer, and your current ranking.

Edited by Hamm

Am I the only person that thinks rankings are taken WAAAAY too seriously? Rankings are done for fun and recognition. When a person is ranked, that doesn't exactly mean that is what they will place in the state. Lets do our talking on the mats guys. I have seen several wrestlers that aren't ranked come in and place at the state tournament. I've also seen several ranked wrestlers fail to place. Also on a side note, John Vadergriff (not picking on him because I think he IS a fine young man) was the #1 ranked heavyweight going into the state tournament last year, and he failed to make neither the finals nor the consolation finals. And the list is deeper than just John. Billy Plunk from Harpeth was the 2nd ranked 119 pounder for most of last season and he failed to medal. Cole Geren was not even ranked, but came into last years tournament and defeated the #6 and #3 guys in route to a runnerup finish. Those are just a few examples. There are several more that can be brought up. I'm not picking on these guys, I'm just proving my poing which is: Being ranked doesn't make you unbeatable, untouchable or even a "WHOO WHOO" wrecking train. Being ranked is a double edged sword at times because it puts a bullseye on your for the guys that aren't ranked. It puts and even bigger bullseye on you when you get on the message boards and brag about how well you did this summer, and your current ranking.

You're not the only one. But, ironically, I think the fact that so many folks take this too seriously IS the fun of the ranking process.

You're not the only one. But, ironically, I think the fact that so many folks take this too seriously IS the fun of the ranking process.

I think it's an honor for the kids that have been hard at work to get on the list. We've all seen kids move in from out of state and kids who had to lay out a year for different reasons come in and shake things up and medal. Thats why we all love this sport. You have a chance if you have the heart!

BTW- What did ND finish last year in D-II?

They must be loaded! Who are some of their top kids?

I know about the 215lb but what about the rest?

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

Hamm,

The previous post on this topic was not me, John Vandergriff, it was one of my friends who likes to get on here and talk trash. Please do not think that i believe i am unbeatable or a whoo train or whatever. I am just a regular high school kid who has to work hard just like everyone else. And thank you for giving me the privledge of being ranked and i will try not to let you down again this year.

We all appreciate everything you do

John Vandergriff