Black Horse Invitational

HoustonCoach

Did anybody catch your attention? Who were the surprise performers?

did anybody catch my attention....roadrunner ronnie making a fashion statement for the finals. sitting in the corner sporting a shirt, tie and..........get this........cargo shorts.

dragon baby rogers at 89, making it to the finals and having a close match. demetrius 12 from munford/brighton, a beast against a reigning state champ in the finals. 160 from bm making the top o' the list of the all name wrestling teams, and won the gold. the name - will stahl.

peachtree ridge taking fifth with ten wrestlers. harding placing high from the left side. will think of others later..... :P

Edited by usfjim

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we were updating team scores after each weight class during the finals and it was changing after just about every match. as close a bh as i can remember.

I witnessed a confrontation in the consolation semis between referee David Marking and MBA coach Frank Simpson that resulted in the threatened loss of one team point. I don't know if it was actually deducted, but if so it cost MBA the tournament title. Usfjim, can you or Coach Delgado confirm the deduction?

I witnessed a confrontation in the consolation semis between referee David Marking and MBA coach Frank Simpson that resulted in the threatened loss of one team point. I don't know if it was actually deducted, but if so it cost MBA the tournament title. Usfjim, can you or Coach Delgado confirm the deduction?

saw the bout sheet come through, just a warning.

bartlettdad quote; 125 I Believe had the most seeded wrestlers,Wynn,Fink both placed D-2.Tisdale and Craig both state qualifiers,Shields B.M. 2ND in state last year at 112,maybe you question the competition, top to bottom might have been toughest weight class

might have had the most seeds but both the bm wrestler and albert's road to the finals was relatively smooth. maybe they just outclassed their comp.

the wrestlers that albert wrestled at bh; the first kid was two and out, second was craig, who was 2-3 for 8th, and tisdale snuck into the 3/4 match and lost it. the bm kid had two pins, decent semi match and lost in the finals.

albert being a soph is impressive, i just thought his teammate looked better this weekend, which may or may not have been due to the comp. B)

Brother Martin wrestler did not have a smooth road to the finals, he barely defeated taylor wynn in an overtime match where i thought taylor actually had the first takedown, but was called out of bounds.

Allright now that I am out of work it is time for me to weigh in... I am not going to bother quoting all the comments I would like to say something about so just scan the headers.

On the tournament as a whole:

Excellent! The best BlackHorse I have been at since porbably 1997 I think when Grissom, Deer Creek (OK) and Western Heights (OK) were all there. This year might have been tougher. Had a nice conversation with Coach Holmes and Coach Pfeifer about it.

On the team race:

What a race, unfortunately I didn't get to see the conclusion because I was stuck at a MS tournament ALL DAY Saturday. However, MBA knew they were in it from the start... can't forget the eruptions from their crowd (great bunch) especially when they got the back to back pins against Brother Martin.

On the team scores:

Very impressed by Harding from the Left Side.

On CBHS vs. MBA:

I would absolutely love to see that dual. Let's also remember that while CBHS did have a solid 152 lber in there, they were missing Dede... I really had been looking forward to seeing him back on the mat.

On the 125 weight:

Jim I think you are underestimating the competition there. As already stated there were several quality wrestlers in that bracket. And I don't think the BM kid would say he had a smooth road to the finals considering as how he went into OT in the semi's with Taylor. I can't comment on how the match went because I haven't watched the film yet but I am sure it was no smooth road. I would really say that was one of the best weights at the tournament along with 112 and 152.

On Dragon baby Rogers:

Very good showing. Knew he had it in him since Middle School. Should develop quite nicely under big brother's watch.

On PeachTree Ridge's coach:

Very impressed with their team. Funny story but I actually know their coach. He helped out at SBA back when I was wrestling there. Great guy, very influential for a few of us. I think he also helped out at Cordova for a while. That should explain how they knew to come to BlackHorse. He said it was weird to see kids he coached coaching but it was nice to talk with him for a little while.

On PeachTree Ridge's 125 Kendall Alberts:

Good looking kid, especially considering his age. Wish we could have met him in the finals but didn't quite make it. I love his style. Very hard-nosed. Noticed that from several of their wrestlers, must have something to do with the coaching :thumb: .

On Son, PeachTree Ridge's 171:

Nice kid. His coach introduced him to me during one of the breaks. Seemed very intelligent and very nice. Only got to see him wrestle one match but I can definitely understand why he was picked as OW... very impressive.

Whew ok that is enough for now... I am sure there is more but all I can come up with.

ok, panther b...uh...er...bartlettdad, wrestler 101 and g-man are right, 125 was the toughest weight class at bh, or possibly any other tournament i've ever witnessed. two pins, a 12-0 win and a decent semi (as previously stated) do not make for a smooth road to the finals. :lol:

i am scum, you guys are gods, i am ignorant, you are knowledgable, i am uninformed, you are all knowing, i should have no opinion because reading it will only make the person lose iq points, my being alive only creates a vaccuum of space to use up oxygen. please someone out there, save me....... :thumb:

Edited by usfjim

ok, panther b...uh...er...bartlettdad, wrestler 101 and g-man are right, 125 was the toughest weight class at bh, or possibly any other tournament i've ever witnessed. two pins, a 12-0 win and a decent semi (as previously stated) do not make for a smooth road to the finals. :thumb:

i am scum, you guys are gods, i am ignorant, you are knowledgable, i am uninformed, you are all knowing, i should have no opinion because reading it will only make the person lose iq points, my being alive only creates a vaccuum of space to use up oxygen. please someone out there, save me....... :lol:

Relax usfjim....you can't take this stuff personal.

:lol:

not saying 125 was the hardest weight class, that would probably be the 119 weight class, but there were 4 state placers, 2 from tennessee, one from georgia, one from louisiana, and also 2 more state qualifiers, although the peachtree wrestler did seem to dominate the bracket

Busted wrestler 101, get back to class

not saying 125 was the hardest weight class, that would probably be the 119 weight class, but there were 4 state placers, 2 from tennessee, one from georgia, one from louisiana, and also 2 more state qualifiers, although the peachtree wrestler did seem to dominate the bracket

busted wrestler 101, get back to class