5A Mr. Football

TankTalk

Smo from smyrna is the most overrated lineman in tennessee, just b/c his combine timings are good doesnt mean nothing b/c when me and some friends went to watch him play, he didnt spark my eye one bit.

Lineman only spark coaches eyes. I would rather see a lineman drive a man downfied to open holes that a cute back benefitting from that block. You need good backs but any coach will tell you that you are going nowhere without a line.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a 5A guy, we play in 4A but I figured Miller lost it Saturday night at Oak Ridge. Although not his fault isn't that the way things usually work out. Heisman doesn't go to the best athlete is goes to the media darling at one of the best schools. These awards are and always will be biased, they should do away with them and just have All-State teams. How can any of these voters know that one player is any better that any other player in the state?

You may be right about the bias. Just depends on who's voting from year to year.

Not to say that Gaston or any of the other winners didn't deserve it,cause I think he did.

I may be wrong though,but I think the voting is done after the regular season is finished. They didn't know then that OR was gonna whip up on Riverdale in the semi's.

THE SQUAD :thumb:

Obviously, you read my comments the way you wanted to read them.

This doesn't come from this year's decision, but from years of obvious bias to the eastern part of the state. I, personally, would love to find a corporate sponsor and begin handing out a couple of East Tennessee awards alone, using an actual fair and KNOWN panel to choose the winners.

Gaston Miller's numbers speak for themselves. Riverdale's dominance in the Mr. Football awards speaks volumes about that outstanding program, but there is no way since 1993 that no East Tennessee player doesn't deserve that award as well.

For you to accuse me of trying to diminish a young man's accomplishments without knowing what I do for a living, or the time-consuming effort I have put forth to make sure student-athletes get what they deserve, is not fair at all. Is it arrogance on your part? I don't know ... I don't make judgements about people I don't know personally.

I was simply saying to me personally, the award is a joke. I should have said process, I give you that much. To let so many pick the finalist is one thing, by the way, I know of some 14-year old webmasters who are able to pick the Mr. Football finalist, because they have taken the painstakingly long five minutes to fill out the form on the TSSAA website. What I want ... is to KNOW who makes up the final portion of the selection committee.

I will find out, because I want to truly see if it is a body of the media that is well represented by ALL parts of the state. It wouldn't hurt to let the public know those facts.

you are 150% right i am all for a east tn mr football i will spomser it myself lets give these kids the credit that they deserve we need to boycott the mr. football deal untill they tell us how they come to the conclussion of a middle state winner every year and how can they give a award to someone that has been ejected from playing sports for the rest of the year???

For those of you who have not seen the G-Man run click the Spencer Gulmire runs tag.

BTW- These are the runs that broke the ORHS rushing records and ranked 3rd in the state records. Thats against one of the top 5 defensive teams in the state.

I'm sure they all deserve the award. However, it's according to what type of runner you like. If it's power and speed than G if it's quickness, flash and speed than it's Gaston.

It's the differance between a Walter Payton or a John Riggins Both great at what they did and brought championships to their teams.

phf-aafx028.gifriggins.jpgSpencer Gulmire Runs

Tank, What was the final stats among these backs at the end of the regular season?

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

The key phrase there is that you and your friends went to watch him play. So who was on the field and who wasn't? :blink:

we play 2a ball and it was a off week. i've seen him play and yeh he's a athlete i've been to combines with him and his times are good . but on the the field ive heard from SMYRNA players that he is overrated.

Heck, I don't really know ... perhaps the percentages of 5A teams is so much greater outside of the East.

What I can report, is after MANY attempts to call, e-mail or just send smoke signals to, officials with the TSSAA, I got pretty much squat. I was told, that they can't give me the names of the nine people that make up the final selection committee. They also guaranteed me that there were three from each region.

I would like to know what their regional boundries are. Anyway, I have whined about this for 12 years and nothing will ever change. I just love high school sports and a bunch of out-of-touch, greedy people will never put an end to that.

Tank, since this seams to be a trend in 5A, Why doesn't it happen in the other divisions? I know that Alcoa, and Webb brought home Mr Footballs. Do you think it's only a 5A or what. Or is it Sour Grapes for our area and 5A? :thumb: