mccallie--Ooltewah

Raider76

McCallie has a wonderful wrestling tradition and put a very talented team on the mat last night (including 3 of 4 returning wrestlers placing first or second in the state last year and 6 of 8 wrestlers currently ranked this season). Ooltewah won the match with no returning state place finishers and only one wrestler currently ranked this season. Informing the CoachT audience with respect to who was unable to wrestle for McCallie does three things:

1. it discredits an Ooltewah program that is clearly improving

2. it disrespects the young men from McCallie that put forth their best effort last night

3. it taints the aforementioned wonderful wrestling tradition of a highly respected institution

This may be the classiest and most respectale post I have ever read on CoachT. Congratulations to the Owls on a fine victory. Well said, jakesdad!

Edited by kdxdude

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jakesdad and other coacht memebers who have viewed this thread --

I want to extend my most sincere apologies. I really had no intention of taking away from Ooltewah's big win on Wednesday night by saying that McCallie was missing a lot of starters. And obviously I wasn't trying to down play the job that the McCallie wrestlers did either. I said what I did because the results that someone posted on here had a lot of boys wrestling from McCallie that some people had never heard of. I was trying to clear up some confusion. I want to say congratulations to the coaches and boys from Ooltewah. Starters or no starters, they beat McCallie fair and square. It was a great match and it came down to the wire and Ooltewah pulled through in the end with the win. Please don't taint what I said earlier, and I hope that you all can accept my apology...

McCallie was missing a lot of starters.

well a wins a win and even if mccallie had all their starters,there is no definite way of knowing that mccallie would have won, after all charles green a returning state champ got pinned, and zach goss another returning state champ only won by 4-1

give the ooltewah team props for beating a team that last year beat them 54-11,and dont make excuses

they have definitely improved and are now one of the best teams in the area

Edited by 119wrestler

All of us who have been around the sport know that losses have many factors when a great program like McCallie is involved. So I did not see nothing wrong with any of the post and it never crossed my mind that the poster was trying to take away form the Owls win. :unsure:

All I was thinking was "great another team to deal with out of Chattanogga Area" :ph34r:

I remember reading about the coaches at Ooltewah when they had the change. Congrats on the big win, now take to the next level and win your region! :lol:

All of us who have been around the sport know that losses have many factors when a great program like McCallie is involved. :

I've been around the sport a long time, and you lost me on this one. How is a loss by a "great program" team any different then a loss by any other team? Injuries, weight, illness, and now hydration are factors that all teams deal with each season. If anything, shouldn't a "great program" team have greater depth and be able to absorb these obsticles more easily then the regular teams? The Owls were missing some valuable players also, but they competed with their best available and didn't bemoan the ones absent. Maybe the Owls have entered "great program" status?

I've been around the sport a long time, and you lost me on this one. How is a loss by a "great program" team any different then a loss by any other team? Injuries, weight, illness, and now hydration are factors that all teams deal with each season. If anything, shouldn't a "great program" team have greater depth and be able to absorb these obsticles more easily then the regular teams? The Owls were missing some valuable players also, but they competed with their best available and didn't bemoan the ones absent. Maybe the Owls have entered "great program" status?

WV-I don't want to get into the battle of defending the blue. Not my fight. I understand U have some issues with them but the way I was looking at it was when I've seen matches where smaller programs have had 4 or 5 kids out because of injuries, it destroyed the team’s chances in a normal dual match.

If the 2003-04 McCallie team had been missing 3 or 4 of that great line up (Spencer, Scott, Blair, Smith or Cleveland) they would have been hard pressed to beat a good team.

I not saying or implying that the Owls are not a good team. I'm glad to see that side of Chattanooga getting a big win. Maybe some of those kids came from the Harrison youth wrestling programs that folks who loved the sport spent time in. :D

Congrats to Spencer at Navy! He's making those of us who met him very confindent and proud that the USA's future and safety will be safe guarded in young men of his character.

BTW-What kid of sport were those valuable players from the Owls going to compete in. LOL

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

MB - The Blue is not in need of defense for they are not under attack. Don't think its the Blue coaches or wrestlers making the excuses on the CoachT anyway.

Your post made reference to "great program" losses somehow being different then non-"great program" losses which lost me. Maybe I just read your post wrong?

MB - The Blue is not in need of defense for they are not under attack. Don't think its the Blue coaches or wrestlers making the excuses on the CoachT anyway.

Your post made reference to "great program" losses somehow being different then non-"great program" losses which lost me. Maybe I just read your post wrong?

Yep- I could have worded it better! :D

Just for the record, once again, they weren't excuses... read the earlier post. Thanks!