Great Job Stevens and staff

bombsaway

Tina,

Nice post.

Ole Dad

It is WAY past time to stop criticizing the players. The night before the State Championship a friend shared the following with me. He has a son who plays for a high school in another state. After losing in the semifinals these are the words his coach had to share: (the following is quoted...not my words)

"On Friday Nights, early in November, something special happens on football fields all across the nation. Lights cast down shadows of great, monumental warriors, and young men, with the guidance of coaches and staff, prepare to go into battle, in arms with their teammates, their brothers. There is nothing geater in life than the feeling that overcomes you when you step onto the football field during the playoffs. The crisp, cool air; the frost-dampened field; the echo of the band; and the fans, in a wave of colors united in support for their team. Chills, hair-raising emotions overcome every inch of their body, begging to explode, escape with the first hit. For 48 minutes, nothing else matters, this mere glimpse in time is eternity, is heaven. Before the eyes of thousands, young boys become men, graduating into a brotherhood that only a few have the opportunity to be a part of. They become legends, heroes of their towns, and front page stories. Then, in a moment, without notice, or hesitation, their time ends. Their 48 minutes is over. Whether that time is today, or tomorrow, or a month from now...whether it's with a win, a loss, or a championship, it doesn't matter. High school football is a game that can never be conquered, it's a battle that will never be won. Because no matter the greatness of any coach, player, or team, at the end of 48 minutes, it's over. This past Friday, in ****** County, I stepped on the field as a coach for the **** of ***** High School, and all I could think about was the feelings of when I played for the orange and black, memories of greatness long forgotten came rushing back, excitement engulfed my body, and then, in an instant it was over. 48 minutes had once again come and gone. That night I had to watch some of the greatest kids I have ever known walk off the field in tears, overcome with emotion, because that night would be the last time they would put on the pads and battle arm in arm with their brothers. Yes, many of the them, and seniors from around the nation will go on to play collegiate football and perhaps even don an NFL jersey, but nothing compares with the greatness, the purity of high school football. In an instant, boys become men, and even quicker, they once again become boys. That night I watched some of the greatest kids a coach could have struggle to take their shoulder pads off, struggle to unlace their cleats. Choking back tears myself, I watched the greatest high school player I have ever seen, distraught with emotion, refuse to take his pads off for the last time. Next to him I saw a kid that never played do the same. That night, after 48 minutes had come and gone, after the bright lights had been put out, I saw boys become men, and in embracing players, I left them with something that had taken me until that very moment to figure out for myself...you don't have to wear pads, to be a high school football player...For all high school senior football players, I say job well done, you have made your coaches, your schools, your parents, and your towns proud. Go Team!!! - Coach ******"

Let's give these two great teams the respect they BOTH deserve.

Wildcats: thanks for the memories!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raven,

Are you really naive enough to discount the coaching impact on a games outcome? Do you really actually believe that the team with the most talented players is victorious in all instances? The OR coaches had a great year, but on the final night they were not prepared. I disagree with you and your belief that the OR players were not the best in the state this year. It is unfortunate that one team must always loose in the game of football. Both teams had outstanding seasons. I was on the sideline in 75' when OR was outmanned to the player and kicked some tail despite the fact. It was all about coaching that night and it still is. Alcoa has 3-4 D1 scholarship players this year and Maryville thumped them by 21 with none. In most cases the most prepared and best coached team wins, especially in championship games. You can out-athlete teams in some cases even with poor coaching, and I am not saying OR had poor coaching this season, but against great teams you need great coaching. On the final night our players played their hearts out but our play calling and game plan wasn't sound in my opinion. But, as I have said on here before, Stevens will be back and will be better prepared from the experience of this game....count on it.

Ole Dad

Not at all OD...I don't discount the impact of a good game plan or a well coached team.....I saw very little wrong with the OR coaching.....I think both staffs did some things well...and some things not so well...! Both made their share of mistakes. Ravenwood knew OR would run a trick play in the first series....they planned for a bubble screen...and got beat deep....OOPS!

You just need to get rid of those blinders...the cats weren't even close to the most talented team in the state...which actually 'top to bottom' was Ridgeway....and yes...they were out coached by the Ravenwood staff......by a lot!

I've asked the AD for Ravenwood to try to get the cats on their non conference schedule...that would be fun....hope she can work it out in the near future.

We can only hope Stanton and associates gets another opportunity in 07....I still would like to get some thoughts on where the kids are.....and if that was the senior players on the field for the toss....my gosh...that was over half of a pretty small group of kids.....what's left for next year....there was only about 20 kids left that weren't seniors.....hopefully the ninth grade class will turn out in big numbers next year....

Not at all OD...I don't discount the impact of a good game plan or a well coached team.....I saw very little wrong with the OR coaching.....I think both staffs did some things well...and some things not so well...! Both made their share of mistakes. Ravenwood knew OR would run a trick play in the first series....they planned for a bubble screen...and got beat deep....OOPS!

You just need to get rid of those blinders...the cats weren't even close to the most talented team in the state...which actually 'top to bottom' was Ridgeway....and yes...they were out coached by the Ravenwood staff......by a lot!

I've asked the AD for Ravenwood to try to get the cats on their non conference schedule...that would be fun....hope she can work it out in the near future.

We can only hope Stanton and associates gets another opportunity in 07....I still would like to get some thoughts on where the kids are.....and if that was the senior players on the field for the toss....my gosh...that was over half of a pretty small group of kids.....what's left for next year....there was only about 20 kids left that weren't seniors.....hopefully the ninth grade class will turn out in big numbers next year....

It was the seniors on the field.

28 seniors

19 juniors

16 sophomores

Freshman season ended with 49 on roster.

Please just let's move on. Everyone could spend days arguing about this game and these teams. But as the quote said, those 48 minutes are over. The game is over. Those teams are over.

The seniors' high school football journey is over.

I'll miss football season so much; being a senior is really hard in that regard. But there are plenty of good things ahead this season. That's why you'll find me on the basketball forums cheering on our Lady Cats and boy's basketball team. :thumb:

Hmmm... too bad there's not a band/orchestra forum. Senior clinic's coming up and I wanna cheer them on too! :lol:

Agreed,

Done.

Ole Dad

Please just let's move on. Everyone could spend days arguing about this game and these teams. But as the quote said, those 48 minutes are over. The game is over. Those teams are over.

The seniors' high school football journey is over.

I'll miss football season so much; being a senior is really hard in that regard. But there are plenty of good things ahead this season. That's why you'll find me on the basketball forums cheering on our Lady Cats and boy's basketball team. :lol:

Hmmm... too bad there's not a band/orchestra forum. Senior clinic's coming up and I wanna cheer them on too! :thumb:

There's always been other sports....and I understand that the school numbers are up.....when I graduated in 67...there was about 1,800 kids....#1 son graduated in 89...I believe there was about 1,100 kids...#2 son graduated in 92 and there was about 1,000 kids....the TSSAA site listed OR at about 1,450 kids this year...in 92 they had several kids with duplicate numbers...every year....I was really shocked to see so few kids in Cardinal & Gray

Regarding coaching....I guess no will agree that the cats players weren't the best....and they lost because of poor coaching only....One example: #4 son is the Raptors RT (number 60)..his point to me after the film breakdown...he was credited for 7 pancakes...12 between him and the RG (#52)...the most they've had any one game this year...he was shocked actually...he said we hit them and they just went down...his point was that the cats weren't very athletic up front.......that has little to do with coaching ...maybe the last coaching staff...this cats team wasn't very fast...or very strong...they were in the correct position...just couldn't do anything when they got there.....the Ravenwood kids thought the Cats would be more athletic.....outside of #1...he's a player

My only point of view came from the kids on the field

You have to remember that when we went to Oak Ridge, the ninth grade was still in the Jr High, now its part of the high school, and the numbers reflect those kids. What I meant about other sports, is that, it seems to me, that today, kids will concentrate on one sport if he/she feels that its their best shot at a playing college ball, and kids today seem to have alot more outside interest than just sports, I hope Stanton can bring back the excitement of being a part of High school football for Oak Ridge again, these are just my observations, maybe I'm wrong. But, I will tell you this, Stanton has made every attempt to include the Boys Club kids, and middle school kids in his schedule, trying to make sure they know they are a part of the "Program". I think (hope) this will pay off in the long run. Edited by catback

You have to remember that when we went to Oak Ridge, the ninth grade was still in the Jr High, now its part of the high school, and the numbers reflect those kids. What I meant about other sports, is that, it seems to me, that today, kids will concentrate on one sport if he/she feels that its their best shot at a playing college ball, and kids today seem to have alot more outside interest than just sports, I hope Stanton can bring back the excitement of being a part of High school football for Oak Ridge again, these are just my observations, maybe I'm wrong. But, I will tell you this, Stanton has made every attempt to include the Boys Club kids, and middle school kids in his schedule, trying to make sure they know they are a part of the "Program". I think (hope) this will pay off in the long run.

Didn't know the ninth grade moved to the high school....that would explain the numbers....seems like that would also have a negative impact on the Jr high competition....maybe that's part of the problem with the interest level. Those were some great games...over the years.

I think the boys club connection with this staff will work.....I think nearly all of this staff played there.....I hope it works....appreciate the thoughts!

• 2 weeks later...

The Ravenwood loss was a tough one. First, I got to give a lot of credit to Ravenwood's defense. They were always in position, even when Spencer appeared to get past the line, and have one to beat, that guy always made the tackle. Oak Ridge could never get the big play to jump start them, and Ravenwood was a team that you did not want to play from behind against. Oak Ridge's best drive of the night started at their own 1 foot line, field position worked against OR all night. I thought the defense adjusted well the second half and did a better job against the Ravenwood offense, keeping the Wildcats in striking distance, but the O just could not get it done. Another factor I think was that Oak Ridge really was up for Riverdale and played a tremendous game against them, and seemed to not be as intense as Ravenwood. Ravenwoood on the other hand, was focused and ready to play, that makes a lot of difference, with the teams basically being close in talent. Another thing that was a factor, was the wind and the rain limited both teams in the passing game, but Ravenwood ran the ball early to get the margin of victory. I see there was a lot of second guessing on coaching and play calling, and you can do that with any game, but you only get one 30 second shot to call plays and then you have to hope that it is executed properly on the field, does the right guy get blocked etc. Anyway, its past now and both teams have massive rebuilding jobs ahead of them, being senior laden teams. So, we will see how good these coaches are as they go about that task. Its up to the new Wildcats to hit the weight room and off season work hard, and avoid a 1986, 1992 or 2001....instead, make it like 2004, when they lost 20 starters and still returned to the semifinals...so we shall see!!