'05/'06 ELIZABETHTON BASKETBALL

GLee

The last two games have been very exciting. It appears that Coach Wilson is allowing the players to run a bit and they are having fun. The SG game was a tough loss to a very atletic bunch. The CD win was a good win, but half court execution was the pits for the Cyclones. Street ball is a good description. Run the floor, but if it's not there execute your half court offense. Poor shot making decisions. CD had tons of heart and played tough with two starters out with injuries, which should bode well for them once they get those guys back.

What's your take?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coachh17,

I agree that the boys are not very exciting to watch right now. A lot of this can be traced back to the summer when the boys had no coach, no practice, no team camps. Wilson still has a very limited offensive scheme and most of that offense is focused toward the guards. With the posts coming out to set the high screen, the opportunities for rebounds and put-backs by the posts have been cut significantly. Therefore, there have been few points spread out among the baseline players.

In the best two outings of the year, Sullivan East and Crockett, the ball was distributed well and Nave still had a bunch of open looks. Without a better distribution, the main offensive threat has been covered completely by the opposing defenses and he has had to work hard to score.

I don't know if these limitations are because of the summer of politics or if Coach Wilson is still figuring out what kind of team he has. Maybe when the heart of the conference games get going, the team will start to play like a team. There is too much talent on this team for them to continue to struggle to score.

The bottom line has to be that team has to do a better job spreading the ball around the court. When that happens, I truly believe that we will be very successful.

Thanks for the information. I have not seen them play this season. I know they have good guard talent and are a bit limited inside. I don't think expectations were real high for this team. If they finish in the upper half of the conference and make the region, I think you have to call the season a success. I do know the freshman team is playing well, which could bode well for the future. How has the JV done?

The team relies totally on Callie and Nave but the last time I saw them, which has been a few games ago, they had no offense. It was like a 'back yard' pick up game and it wasn't very pretty. Kinda out of control. I agree that they have to get some looks from some other people and they have to get the ball inside more. That is the only thing that will help open up the outside game, otherwise, 'Katie bar the door'. If they can finish in the middle of the pack they have had a successful season. Too high expectations were not kind to this team early because they don't have the talent that is needed to be in the top echelon of the conference. Had Wilson been given more time the team could possibly have become more diversified but having watched his girls last year, he's not big on multiple options from his offensive set. Hopefully thru the holidays more offense can be put in place. They have looked sharp at times and looked to have promise vs. So. Greene early, but that loss apparently cut them deep. If anything, Wilson needs to make sure that discipline is in place for the future of the program.

Hey coachh,

There is a reason the freshmen are being successful. Talent will take you so far but if the players are not taught, they will not continue to win. Dugger teaches team basketball. I truly believe Coach Len Dugger is one of the best coaches in Tennessee. He is a huge asset to the overall program. He preaches and teaches defense, rebounds, and discipline. The varsity could use his experience in practice and on the bench. I hope Wilson asks him to help out a little more with the big boys.

Hey coachh,

There is a reason the freshmen are being successful. Talent will take you so far but if the players are not taught, they will not continue to win. Dugger teaches team basketball. I truly believe Coach Len Dugger is one of the best coaches in Tennessee. He is a huge asset to the overall program. He preaches and teaches defense, rebounds, and discipline. The varsity could use his experience in practice and on the bench. I hope Wilson asks him to help out a little more with the big boys.

I have nothing but respect for Coach Dugger. I taught with him for ten years at T.A. Dugger. We ate lunch at the same time and I regularly sought out his advice on nearly all aspects of basketball. I incorporated many of his ideas and teaching philosophies into my teams at T.A. Dugger and at EHS. I count him as a trusted friend and am glad to see his freshman team doing well. He is an outstanding coach and his presence will certainly strengthen the program.

This team has no discipline. They look terrible out there playing. I feel sorry for the kids that hate to lose and aren't used to losing. There is nobody in charge and you can tell from the way they play. Nave and Callie do whatever they want with the ball. They rarely make 3 or 4 passes before a shot is taken and there is not any offensive rebounding. They run crazy on the defensive end and there is no rebounding there either. You have a 6'5 post that is not even one of the best rebounders. This team has a lot of talent and it looks like it will go to waste. The best coach at the school doesn't have a word with this team. I'm sure everyone out there knows who the coach is that should be coaching this team. I honestly believe if he were the coach of this team, they would be 7-3 or possibly 8-2, not 5-5.

You sound like you know what you are talking about and you also sound mad like most of the other fans. Also, I agree with most of what you said. But we also have to be careful as adults not to negatively single out players by name. They are too young to handle the grief. Coaches are adults and taking grief goes with the job. Players will only do what they want to do or are told to do. Some of the players on this team fall into the first category and others are from the second category.

Discipline is not natural for teenagers, you know that. It has to be taught/learned. When a player is out of control, it is the responsibility of the coach to control that player. Wilson has not asserted enough discipline and there is plenty that needs to be asserted. I also don’t think he would put it in the right direction.

I overheard Norman’s dad talking after the game vs. Boone and he brought out two good points. Wilson has Norman coming out to set screens on offense 20 feet from the goal; therefore he is out of position for offensive rebounds. Norman also comes out to the perimeter on defense to try to stop the three pointers. So, he is out of position to get defensive boards. Against the Bahamas team, Wilson had Norman guarding the point guard 25 feet from the goal. Again, he is out of his natural position. That is dumb basketball coming from the bench.

According to the Star, Norman had twenty rebounds in two Arby’s games. Given the poor coaching, that was pretty good. I don’t think that it is fair for you to label him as a poor rebounder, he is the best board man on the team, by far, most every game. I like the Norman kid. With a little coaching, he could be a huge asset. He should get the ball more near the goal.

Put the blame where it belongs. Coacherdude called it a summer of politics. He was right. Wilson was the choice, from on the hill, to ruffle the fewest feathers. Look at the feathers now. The summer of politics has cost us this year of basketball. I hope it doesn't cost us any more.

Edited by old cyclone

Face it, disipline at this school has been a very big problem the last several years. It is being addressed by a few of the new coaches..........new, as in, they were not at Eliz last year. And there are a couple who have been there who put their foot down when allowed. Disipline was a major problem with the football team, and as I said, a couple will put their foot down if allowed. I know Dugger is a disiplinarian when coaching and I trully thought he had the head job, but........... Wilson is the man and is getting his shot. Surely, by now, he has to know that the 'law' has to be laid down and hopefully it is not too late. I still feel that as a team, they are capable of being upper middle of the pack in this conference with their current players and coaches. They must generate some sort of inside game immediately to be successful. Good luck :lol: