halls vs oak ridge

hhsheftylefty10

On the subject of players possibly being able to go D-1, besides Cameron who has the potential in this district to be a D-1 player?Chris Connor?Matt Hargis?Dowdell from Oak Ridge?Jordan Dixon? Any other players? What are some thoughts about some of the other players in this district?

Its too early to tell about Dowdell since he's just a sophomore. If he doesn't grow much more he will need to improve on his outside shooting. If he grows then he has a shot at it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its too early to tell about Dowdell since he's just a sophomore. If he doesn't grow much more he will need to improve on his outside shooting. If he grows then he has a shot at it.

I don't really think that I will comment on anymore players, especially my players, although I do think that Lee Smith is a D1 football player. :thumb: There are quite a few very talented players in our district and I will just leave it at that.

Prepwatcher:

You know, it's kind of funny if you think about it. I did sit on the bench at Powell quite a bit. Now, twelve years later, I'm right back on the bench at Powell. Of course, growing four inches and gaining thirty pounds after my Senior year helped me realize my dream of playing D1 ball, even if it was as a walk on. A thirty-four inch vertical leap helped as well. The fact is, in the course of my life I have played basketball with some of the best players in the world, including Kevin Garnett and Alan Houston, among others who have gone on to play professionally. I received a substantial amount scholarship money at UTC for academics, so being on "scholarship" was never an issue for me. I lettered three years out of four and I became as good a player as I could be. I don't feel as though I have anything to prove to anyone as far as whether I could play or not. Ask my teammates. The fact that you would try to call me out here on a message board means that you are probably chicken crap and I will probably never get to meet you face to face. You are probably someone who never quite reached their potential and takes joy in trying to bring others down. I think that is pathetic, but I understand it. I also understand what a D1 player looks like whether you like it or not.

Now, in referring to Sharp, I've stated my opinion. Time will bear witness to whether I am correct or not. When he signs that letter of intent, I won't even get on here and say I told you so.

Well said Moc. Some folks don't understand that there is no shame in being a walk on. Playing on the D I level is a great accomplishment whether it be by scholarship or walk on. They also don't understand the hard work and comitment that goes into playing on the college level.

I too was a college walk on, in another sport. I didn't even make my high school team. I was a late bloomer but through hard work, presistence, and encouragement form other I was able to realize my dream and play on the college level. Eventually I earned a scholarship.

Back to Sharp. He has some work to do as it relates to his physical development but he indeed has the skills to play D I.

mocs30,

I hope you are correct about Cameron Sharp. I wish him the best, however, I have seen tons of talent come down the pipeline and right now Cameron is not any better then Alex Oliver from Beardon. Alex was quicker, stronger and a better shooter. He could get to the basket whenever he wanted and would elevate over everyone and score. Right now Cameron cannot do that. Put a guy on him two inches taller with some quickness and Cameron struggles, hence his numbers against Central.

In fact, I would put him two levels below Chris Wiley from Fulton and where did he end up? Roane State and then Knoxville College. Only time will tell but there are a lot of holes in Cameron's game that need to be fixed.

I don't agree. The only time I've seen Sharp this year was at the Central game and he was a non factor until free throw shooting time at the end of the game and he DID knock down those free throws. He lost his composure a couple of times when coach set him down and by my count he had 3 shots blocked and made two baskets. I believe I would take Alex Oliver over Sharp. I just don't think he has the body for D1.

But then again, I was the one who said Dane Bradshaw would never play meaningful minutes at Tenn.

And you were right about Dane Bradshaw as well, he is playing minutes because they have no one else that can play.

mocs30,

I hope you are correct about Cameron Sharp. I wish him the best, however, I have seen tons of talent come down the pipeline and right now Cameron is not any better then Alex Oliver from Beardon. Alex was quicker, stronger and a better shooter. He could get to the basket whenever he wanted and would elevate over everyone and score. Right now Cameron cannot do that. Put a guy on him two inches taller with some quickness and Cameron struggles, hence his numbers against Central.

In fact, I would put him two levels below Chris Wiley from Fulton and where did he end up? Roane State and then Knoxville College. Only time will tell but there are a lot of holes in Cameron's game that need to be fixed.

Wasnt Wiley going to go to Wake Forest but didnt because of grades or some other issue? I heard about him when he was at Fulton and saw him play in a small leauge and I am pretty sure talent wise he was a lot better than Roane State.

Edited by hhsbball12