Brooke Tanumijaya - 6 pts, 2 rebs

Morgan Thomas - 5 pts (1 three), 4 rebs, 1 blk, 4 assts

Annie Kelly - 2 pts (2 of 4 FTs), 4 rebs, 2 blks

Laura Shipley - 2 pts

Jenny Hall - 1 of 2 FTs, 4 rebs, 1 asst

Rachel Luna - 2 rebs

Liz Chastain - 1 asst

Team Stats:

Free Throws: Page 3 of 6 (50%), Centennial 3 of 6 (50%)

Rebounds: Page 33, Centennial 22

Assists: Page 8, Centennial 6

Fouls: Page 7, Centennial 8

Turnovers: Page 22, Centennial 19

The game was tied at 5 all at the end of the 1st qtr. as Page's Barker hit a three and Spencer had 2 while Cent's Thomas hit a three and Davis had 2. In the 2nd qtr, Cent outscored Page, 4-2, as both Thomas and Shipley had 2 each and Page's Spencer had 2 as Cent led at the half, 9-7. In the 3rd qtr, Page outscored Cent, 14-9, as Spencer and Morton had 4 each, and K. Young, L. Young, and Ford had 2 each while Cent's Tamumijaya had 6, Davis had 2, and Hall added a FT as Page led after 3 qtrs, 21-18. In the 4th qtr, Page outscored Cent, 7-4, as Spencer had 5 and K. Young hit 2 FTs while Cent's Kelly had 2 FT's and Davis had 2 as Page won 28-22.

I guess one could say it was a defensive struggle, but it certainly was ugly with all the turnovers. Page's Spencer shut down Cent's Kelly with 2 blocks in the 1st qtr, but there were several missed shots underneath by both teams. Both threes of the night came from Page's Barker and Cent's Thomas in the 1st qtr. The teams played better in the 3 qtr, but offense dropped off in the 4th. Page's Barker had a good night passing with 5 assists and Thomas led Cent with 4. A win is a win, but I sure would have liked to have seen fewer mistakes and more scoring.

Edited by PageMan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Page.............5..2....14..7.....28

Centennial.....5..4.....9...4.....22

Page Player Stats:

Jessica Spencer - 13 pts (1 of 2 FTs), 10 rebs, 3 blks, 1 asst

Anna Morton - 4 pts, 6 rebs, 1 asst

Kayla Young - 4 pts (2 of 2 FTs), 4 rebs

Libby Barker - 3 pts (1 three), 7 rebs, 5 assts

Katelin Ford - 2 pts, 3 rebs

Leslie Young - 2 pts

Kayla Bowling - 2 rebs, 1 blk, 1 asst

Courtney Campbell 0 of 2 FTs, 1 reb

Centennial Player Stats:

Carolynn Davis - 6 pts, 6 rebs,

Brooke Tanumijaya - 6 pts, 2 rebs

Morgan Thomas - 5 pts (1 three), 4 rebs, 1 blk, 4 assts

Annie Kelly - 2 pts (2 of 4 FTs), 4 rebs, 2 blks

Laura Shipley - 2 pts

Jenny Hall - 1 of 2 FTs, 4 rebs, 1 asst

Rachel Luna - 2 rebs

Liz Chastain - 1 asst

Team Stats:

Free Throws: Page 3 of 6 (50%), Centennial 3 of 6 (50%)

Rebounds: Page 31, Centennial 22

Assists: Page 8, Centennial 6

Fouls: Page 7, Centennial 8

Turnovers: Page 22, Centennial 19

The game was tied at 5 all at the end of the 1st qtr. as Page's Barker hit a three and Spencer had 2 while Cent's Thomas hit a three and Davis had 2. In the 2nd qtr, Cent outscored Page, 4-2, as both Thomas and Shipley had 2 each and Page's Spencer had 2 as Cent led at the half, 9-7. In the 3rd qtr, Page outscored Cent, 14-9, as Spencer and Morton had 4 each, and K. Young, L. Young, and Ford had 2 each while Cent's Tamumijaya had 6, Davis had 2, and Hall added a FT as Page led after 3 qtrs, 21-18. In the 4th qtr, Page outscored Cent, 7-4, as Spencer had 5 and K. Young hit 2 FTs while Cent's Kelly had 2 FT's and Davis had 2 as Page won 28-22.

I guess one could say it was a defensive struggle, but it certainly was ugly with all the turnovers. Page's Spencer shut down Cent's Kelly with 2 blocks in the 1st qtr, but there were several missed shots underneath by both teams. Both threes of the night came from Page's Barker and Cent's Thomas in the 1st qtr. The teams played better in the 3 qtr, but offense dropped off in the 4th. Page's Barker had a good night passing with 5 assists and Thomas led Cent with 4. A win is a win, but I sure would have liked to have seen fewer mistakes and more scoring.

I've noticed Anna Fisher has not been in the box scores the last 2 Centennial games. Is she injured or what?

Fisher is not on Centennials team anymore since Monday nights game vs. BGA. She has chosen to concentrate on soccer.

I'm sorry to hear about Anna, she is a very good athlete and fun to watch. Given the recent performance of the Centennial girls & boys do you think Coach Kelley might decide to concentrate on only one team? Neither team seems to be hitting on all cylinders, maybe they each need the full attention of one coach.

Anna Fisher is a great athlete and will be sorely missed by the Centennial basketball team. No doubt she will play at the next level in soccer. However, it is highly unusual for a player like Anna to quit a sport midway through a season regardless of her intentions with regard to soccer in the future. I imagine her high school basketball coach must be disappointed she is no longer with the team.

Centennial Coach Brian Kelly has had a hard time with players leaving. In addition to Anna Fisher, Christine Ware decided not to play basketball as well. Since he also coaches the boys' team, he has lost a player or maybe two from that team. I don't know how he keeps his sanity - especially dealing with two teams and the problems that go along with dealing with players' attitudes and with teens in general during this growing up period of their lives.

This is just what i heard.. so...(it is from a pretty reliable source)

I heard that Anna was being looked at by University of Tennessee at Knoxville for soccer. Being smart, next year after her soccer season ends she will hope to sign to play somewhere. To risk being hurt, she decided she wasnt going to play basketball her senior year. Coach kelly heard of this... words were said.. feelings were hurt... she made the decision with resonable claims!

This is just what i heard.. so...(it is from a pretty reliable source)

I heard that Anna was being looked at by University of Tennessee at Knoxville for soccer. Being smart, next year after her soccer season ends she will hope to sign to play somewhere. To risk being hurt, she decided she wasnt going to play basketball her senior year. Coach kelly heard of this... words were said.. feelings were hurt... she made the decision with resonable claims!

If what you have heard is true, it is very regrettable for both Anna and this year's team, particularly the seniors. It she were to get a scholarship offer from UT or any college next year, it would be hard to blame her for not playing her senior year. In the meantime, she could definitely help this year's team. I cannot understand a coach taking such a position. Thus, I hope your information is not true.

If what you have heard is true, it is very regrettable for both Anna and this year's team, particularly the seniors. It she were to get a scholarship offer from UT or any college next year, it would be hard to blame her for not playing her senior year. In the meantime, she could definitely help this year's team. I cannot understand a coach taking such a position. Thus, I hope your information is not true.

It's been reported that Anna has accepted a soccer scholarship offer to play at UT in 2007. The report that Coach Kelly voiced his disappointment to her after he found out that Anna did not want to play HS basketball next season is true. However in his defense Anna was putting her travel soccer team, and her personal goals, ahead of her classmates on the Bball team. Missing games because of travel soccer and then letting it be known that she wouldn't play basketball next season is a bit much to ask a coach to accept. Besides, he didn't kick her off the team, she quit. It's too bad for the Cougar team that Anna didn't want to make the basketball team priority #1 after she had committed to UT. You can't worry about getting injured. She could just as easily get injured this winter on the soccer field. Besides, colleges don't rescend scholarship offers because of an injury. It's in bad faith and they don't want future recruits to know that they won't stand behind them. It's too bad for the Centennial seniors that she quit. The team was short on talent to begin with.

It's been reported that Anna has accepted a soccer scholarship offer to play at UT in 2007. The report that Coach Kelly voiced his disappointment to her after he found out that Anna did not want to play HS basketball next season is true. However in his defense Anna was putting her travel soccer team, and her personal goals, ahead of her classmates on the Bball team. Missing games because of travel soccer and then letting it be known that she wouldn't play basketball next season is a bit much to ask a coach to accept. Besides, he didn't kick her off the team, she quit. It's too bad for the Cougar team that Anna didn't want to make the basketball team priority #1 after she had committed to UT. You can't worry about getting injured. She could just as easily get injured this winter on the soccer field. Besides, colleges don't rescend scholarship offers because of an injury. It's in bad faith and they don't want future recruits to know that they won't stand behind them. It's too bad for the Centennial seniors that she quit. The team was short on talent to begin with.

Short on coaching, too. The boys and girls basketball players at a school of 1500 plus each deserve a head coach that will give them 100% of his attention. There are juniors that were better players when they were freshmen than they are now. It demonstrates a lack of commitment from the school's administration and a personal selfishness on the part of the current head coach.

Short on coaching, too. The boys and girls basketball players at a school of 1500 plus each deserve a head coach that will give them 100% of his attention. There are juniors that were better players when they were freshmen than they are now. It demonstrates a lack of commitment from the school's administration and a personal selfishness on the part of the current head coach.

CHEAP SHOT! As far as the girls are concerned, everyone around the Franklin area knows that it's a soccer town 1st and everything else is a distant 2nd. The proof is in the number of state championships the city has won and the Division 1 athletes that are produced each year in soccer. Centennial is lucky to find anyone to coach the girls bball team considering the lack of interest among the youth. These aren't AAU basketball players we are talking about. The best athletes play soccer. They always have and it won't change in the near future. Those of us who have been around the Cougar program the past 10 years are satisfied that the girls have the coach they need, although I don't think he'll put up with the lack of basketball interest among the girls in this area much longer. As far as the junior class goes, it is a relatively weak class for both the boys and girls. I've been watching them play since they were in middle school, so I have no idea what you are talking about when you say they were better as freshman than they are now. The current group of juniors were average then and they'll struggle to win as seniors next season, unless this year's freshman and sophomore classes make a big impact, which for the boys, they will thanks mainly to Coach Kelly's son, Drew, who will dominate Williamson Co basketball in the very near future. I don't know why people are always blaming the coaches when the teams don't perform well. It's not the coach who wins and loses games, it's the players. You can't win basketball games with kids who don't make the sport a priority. Coach Kelly is doing Centennial a favor by coaching both teams. He loves the sport and the kids. It has nothing to do with being selfish. Besides, you won't find Rick Insell or any other great coach knocking on the Centennial doors looking for a coaching job. Coach Kelly has proven in the past that when he has good talent his teams win. When he has average talent, he's like every other coach, he doesn't win as often.