Talk at Powell

wild rooster

HIV,

Shocked to not see the name of Lee Smith on the TSWA All-State team. Bet UT is shocked also. I do think the kid has talent, but he carries a lot of baggage.

Sat down over the weekend to read The Shopper and the Powell News. Saw where Lee and Darryl gave Fulmer the thunms up for hiring Coach Cut. I think they both said that sealed the deal for them in going to UT.

By the way, I guess everything's good in Clarksville. I will call down there to find out and get you information on how everything is going if you want.

Gotta go fix the hub some breakfast - I let him sleep in this morning.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HIV,

Shocked to not see the name of Lee Smith on the TSWA All-State team. Bet UT is shocked also. I do think the kid has talent, but he carries a lot of baggage.

Sat down over the weekend to read The Shopper and the Powell News. Saw where Lee and Darryl gave Fulmer the thunms up for hiring Coach Cut. I think they both said that sealed the deal for them in going to UT.

I wasn't shocked. Lee didn't have an all state year from a numbers standpoint. I haven't seen the entire list yet, but I understand that Justin Galyon made the team and deservedly so. He had an outstanding year.

Yep, Coach Cut and Matt Luke sealed the deal with Lee and Daryle. He is a talented player and has a chance to prove what he can or can't do on the field next fall.

What about the all-american all-star game? How do 3 kids go to the all-american game when they did not even make all-state? Is this chosen before the season? The biggest question is how does D. Smith get to Coach in it? He is a good line coach but he has never had any awards for his coaching. I thought they reserved the coaching spots for head coaches. Another question has recently come to my attention is that Smith is interested in being the head coach when Stevens gets out, will this cause a problem with Lowe? I also heard that Stevens is not going to run for public office next term, good move on his part.

What about the all-american all-star game? How do 3 kids go to the all-american game when they did not even make all-state? Is this chosen before the season? The biggest question is how does D. Smith get to Coach in it? He is a good line coach but he has never had any awards for his coaching. I thought they reserved the coaching spots for head coaches. Another question has recently come to my attention is that Smith is interested in being the head coach when Stevens gets out, will this cause a problem with Lowe? I also heard that Stevens is not going to run for public office next term, good move on his part.

It's simple, really. They were invivted to play in the game. It's a very good opportunity for all three area players - Smith, Watts, and Tallent.

When Emfinger got the confirmation from Lee that he was going to play he asked Daryle if he would help out. Like him or not, Daryle is a very good offensive line coach.

Daryle has not given me any indication that he is interested in being a head coach.

Coach Stephens has made it known that he is not going to run for re-election to the county commission. He wants to be the football coach at Powell.

The better question might be is there an NCAA rule on how many all-star games an individual can play? I have never heard of this game until I read it in the News-Sentinel. I wonder how Max Emfinger decides who to invite to play in this game?

Emfinger's game is in its second year. When I was researching the game for a story Max told me that he gets imput from college and high school coaches as to what players deserve consideration to be invited. There are some pretty good players there this year - players who have already committed to Tennessee, Texas, South Carolina, California, Florida, F$U - among others.

One of the good things is that the week of practice and the game give players who have not yet committed (like Tallent and Watts) to be exposed to college coaches one last time before signing day.

The NCAA has no policy on how many all star games a high school senior can play in. In fact, the NCAA has no jurisdiction over the student/athletes until they actually enroll in an NCAA member school.

Emfinger's game is in its second year. When I was researching the game for a story Max told me that he gets imput from college and high school coaches as to what players deserve consideration to be invited. There are some pretty good players there this year - players who have already committed to Tennessee, Texas, South Carolina, California, Florida, F$U - among others.

One of the good things is that the week of practice and the game give players who have not yet committed (like Tallent and Watts) to be exposed to college coaches one last time before signing day.

The NCAA has no policy on how many all star games a high school senior can play in. In fact, the NCAA has no jurisdiction over the student/athletes until they actually enroll in an NCAA member school.

I would have to disagree slightly with the last part of your statement there. If the NCAA didn't have any jurisdiction over high school kids then there wouldn't be any clearinghouse or close eyes on boosters who interact with college prospects. Another instance might be where a kid decides to go to the NBA instead of college...he never made it to college, but the NCAA clearly has rules against him playing college basketball if at a certain time he changes his mind on going pro instead of collegiate. But my point is that there is jursidiction to an extent overall. Like recruiting can only be done at certain times for certain different stages of recruiting. To me, those things are jurisdiction.

I would have to disagree slightly with the last part of your statement there. If the NCAA didn't have any jurisdiction over high school kids then there wouldn't be any clearinghouse or close eyes on boosters who interact with college prospects. Another instance might be where a kid decides to go to the NBA instead of college...he never made it to college, but the NCAA clearly has rules against him playing college basketball if at a certain time he changes his mind on going pro instead of collegiate. But my point is that there is jursidiction to an extent overall. Like recruiting can only be done at certain times for certain different stages of recruiting. To me, those things are jurisdiction.

You can dissagree all you want, but that doesn't make it so. The NCAA has no jurisdiction until a student/athlete enrolls in a member school. Initial eligibility is determined by the Clearinghouse, which is an independent organization from the NCAA. The organization that administers the National Letter of Intent program is also an independent orgranizaion. The NCAA recognizes and works with those two administrative organizations.

The rules the NCAA has for recruiting apply to the universities/colleges and their representatives, including boosters. The NCAA provides prospective student/athletes a booklet telling them what a school that is recruiting them can and can't do or provide to them.

A player who opts to go pro and either signs with an agent or signs a pro contract is no longer an amateur athlete. Professionals aren't eligible to play for an NCAA member school. That's not even part of this discussion.

The NCAA can't tell a high school player what to do until he enrolls. They can and do tell their member institutions what they can and can't do.

Ok, points well taken and noted. To be quite honest I don't know a lot about the ncaa and really could care less. that subject of jurisdiction was pretty neat to me so I figured heck, why not throw something out there and see what the response is. Anyways, I read in the news sentinel earlier in the week where the Colorado QB lashed out at the NCAA which I'm pretty sure that article would've been an AP article since KNS doesn't write much of their own stuff but that's beside the point...would you care to voice an opinion on that? I kinda think the QB has a point to an extent, but again, I could care less about the NCAA...they don't have a playoff in D1 football so that within itself is enough of a joke for me.