WILL HUMBOLDT GO ALL THE WAY?

dollar1906

Humboldt and Union City should go deep into post season play since the tssaa in all their wisdom gave them unfair advantage over other district foes for the near future! want proof ? check the numbers and try to explain the discrepancies in the ratios and the obvious edge these schools were awarded in this 10 team district !

Dist 14a pop. sch. enrollment

Gleason 1452 207

Bradford 1113 176

Greenfield 2133 161 (city pop. from epodunk.com)

Tiptonville 2439 224 ( school enrollment from tssaa.org)

Halls 2291 361

So. Fulton 2800 288

Trenton 4700 428

Dresden 2755 384

Union City 10800 442

Humboldt 9339 534

Does this appear to be a level playing field ? I think not ! If the Vikings or Tornadoes lose in district play to anyone but each other it will surprise me .

There is strength in numbers unless you have good players transfer in to these small towns.(

Union City has more than that enrolled in their school they arent counting their Freshmen in the enrollment anymore!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stating the facts? We have played three AA teams so far.... Gibson Co - beat them by 21, Crockett Co - beat them by 17, Milan (Dyersburg, which was AAA last year only beat them by 2) - beat them by 42. The only teams we have beat are not in 1A. It's hard to tell much from scrimmages, but we did beat Liberty by 1 in a pre-season scrimmage. Bolivar beat us by 1 this summer. We beat Middleton this summer without Rose and Sain. The games we beat people by a bunch, is because of our Sophomore and Freshman class which plays over 1/2 the game because the starters are sitting on the bench.

We're lucky enough to have a bunch of kids that love to play basketball. There's an old gym that's open everyday all year around where they can go play together anytime they want. They are used to playing with each other and know what each other's next move is. When kids have somewhere they can play all the time, tehy are going to be better than the kids that don't. There are also kids in our school not playing basketball that could be starting for most teams in our District. Not bragging, just a couple facts and opinions :angry:

Ok, just go back and read what I said. I said that I was refering to Union City and NOT Humboldt. I said that I was not talking talking about Humboldt, because they don't get on here and brag. Just go back and read it.

Edited by LakeCountyFan142311

I fully agree...at our talent level this year, we should be playing 2A ball, but there's nothing Humboldt nor Union City can do about that...I mean, Middleton drills 1A teams night after night and no one is saying that they should be playing 2A ball...I guess we should have a stronger non-district schedule but with so many district games, it's not that easy...I do wish Humboldt would play in an out-of-state tournament or something similar just to see how they stack up against talented teams that we aren't familiar with...but another thing to consider is the fact that Humboldt just has a much better team than usual...The group of seniors are talented and the younger guys are contributing...so that explains why they haven't played an actual close game...as far as after Christmas, we'll see how good Humboldt is...they have Lake Co. and Union City twice each...I think Lake Co. we'll struggle w/ Lake Co. just because of the fact that they have a great coach and they play great defense...those games could go either way...as far as the Union City games, I think these will be very exciting games with lots of running and very physical play...this game will come down to who hits their free throws, hits the open shots, and takes advantage of turnovers....also who's bench contributes the most...but we'll see when 2006 comes along...Have a Merry Christmas everyone...

i have read enough about union city being double a school .and as far as enrollment you are wrong. we have 391 not 442 . call the school we don' t have to cheat to win and i am sorry you all are trying to justify getting beat by saying they are a double a team . quit whinning and play better. and i am from south fulton not union city :angry:

how is it a town with 10000+ population has only 391 students (according to GoUC from So. Fulton?) in 4 classes ! How can this be and why ? Are all the people in Union City above the age of 30 with no children ? Did they all drop out of school ? Are they home schooled ? What happenened to the kids ,alien abductions in UC ? I saw this Happen when Mitchell High was allowed to compete in 1A classification until last year with unfair tactics by coach Johnson and open enrollment in Memphis. With 10000 pop. ratios say you should have at least 700 students in school unless there is a sterility problem in that community ! by the way Middleton has a pop.of 623 and enrollment of 339 , I cant figure that out either!! UC & Humbolt are not to blame unless they monkeyed with their numbers , but hey when i played ball there was no classification at all !!! Good luck to all 14a sshools even if it is unfair. The numbers i present are from the tssaa website.

how is it a town with 10000+ population has only 391 students (according to GoUC from So. Fulton?) in 4 classes ! How can this be and why ? Are all the people in Union City above the age of 30 with no children ? Did they all drop out of school ? Are they home schooled ? What happenened to the kids ,alien abductions in UC ? I saw this Happen when Mitchell High was allowed to compete in 1A classification until last year with unfair tactics by coach Johnson and open enrollment in Memphis. With 10000 pop. ratios say you should have at least 700 students in school unless there is a sterility problem in that community ! by the way Middleton has a pop.of 623 and enrollment of 339 , I cant figure that out either!! UC & Humbolt are not to blame unless they monkeyed with their numbers , but hey when i played ball there was no classification at all !!! Good luck to all 14a sshools even if it is unfair. The numbers i present are from the tssaa website.

Several of UC's kids go to OCC.

how is it a town with 10000+ population has only 391 students (according to GoUC from So. Fulton?) in 4 classes ! How can this be and why ? Are all the people in Union City above the age of 30 with no children ? Did they all drop out of school ? Are they home schooled ? What happenened to the kids ,alien abductions in UC ?

Thats Because most of them go to Obion Co.

Here we go again with they shouldn't be in 1A crap...If they weren't supposed to be in 1A then the freaking T$$AA wouldnt have classified them as a single-a school.....All this is doing is making an excuse for your team when you lose to either Humboldt or Union City....

Thats Because most of them go to Obion Co.

Here we go again with they shouldn't be in 1A crap...If they weren't supposed to be in 1A then the freaking T$$AA wouldnt have classified them as a single-a school.....All this is doing is making an excuse for your team when you lose to either Humboldt or Union City....

TSSAA prolly classified them in 1a b/c UC didnt count their Freshmen as part of their school this year and probably won't since they're beating all the weak 1a schools!!

hey 350 ,why do most kids go to OCC if they live in UC ? Troy is in southern Obion co. Are students allowed to go where they want ? also, no excuses here,small schools have defeated large schools before and Middleton will handle both Hum. & UC this year. Peabody,LC&Halls could all upset them too! If the underdogs win its meaningful , if the big dogs win it just something that shoud happen anyway and nothing out of the ordinary . do you really think Gleason and Bradford shoud have to compete with Hum. & UC . i remember Huntington girls defeating Carroll Acad. 115- 10 or so (Huntington is real proud of that one ! )