Weekly Carter County --- Top 5

osubrutus

Hey Sunny Smith, I detect a wee note of the highlands in you. It's nice to see I'll have some help in my support of the 'Landers! The username and your rankings are a dead giveaway.

I was able to make it to the game yesterday, so here is my report: the 'Landers freshman team played the Lady Bulldogs yesterday in Roan Mountain. This one was a little lopsided at first, the 'Landers had a 13-0 lead before Hampton finally scored at 6:15 in the 2nd quarter. Went on to a 45-34 win to follow up their 50-37 win over the same team at Hampton a few weeks ago.

We have four games against Johnson Co. today, I'll try to get the scores up in the morning.

Good luck to all the Carter Co. teams playing in the x-mas tournaments. Well, except for Eton if they wind up playing the 'Landers of course!

The Highlander

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Izi,

You are close, the varsity game saw the Lady 'Landers win 78-44, again playing the entire bench. Dominating defense by the 'Landers, good game.

The JV game was the same with the 'Landers winning 52-22.

Cloudland is playing very good defense on both teams right now. I'm looking forward to the Lees-Macrae tournament and Haysi.

The Highlander

Hey Izi,

I enjoyed them even if it wasn't close!

Jessica Mathis had a great first quarter in particular, playing like she is capable of. Santana Clawson drained a three, and looked more comfortable also. Harrell made a couple of really nice passes in the game, and added some scoring. All in all, I thought we showed a balanced attack on offense and on defense.

Johnson County has a really good young player in Jill South (22). She was used in the jv game, and played most of the varsity. She is every bit as good as any other point guards we will face this year. Our defense handled her very well. She didn't score much, but she is still an impact player with her passing ability.

To brag on our freshman a little bit, I watched their game against Hampton on Monday, and we shut them down well also. Miller (23) stuck to Mikki Oliver like glue and kept her in single digit scoring both games this year I think. Miller is also the one that got the Jill South assignment yesterday. I think Jill may have had four points.

This year's 'Lander team is living by the "Offense Thrills, Defense Kills" motto!

The Highlander