Mat Girls, Mat Maids etc

MasterBlaster 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not against them just wondering why some areas have them and most don't.

We had them in high school and it was great until I married one. :lol::P

Just joking. Seams like everytime I talk to a mom from the Nashville area that is at a Tourney they were Mat Girls in HS.

Would be nice to have them in the Knoxville Area.

I guess it is another extra curricular activity from high school girls to join.

But I agree having Matt maids go with us every where was nice. when my team did not have a huge crowd to support us they made me feel a little more confidence because I feel like I had some support behind me, and plus they are great to have on bus rides because ours used to sing show tunes. lo :P:P:D

I suppose you are talking about wrestling "cheerleaders"? We have girls who are like team managers - they keep the books, clock, clean the mat after practice and also encourage and support the boys. Unlike cheerleaders from basketball and football who attempt to get the crowd into cheering and rallying the team, I think wrestling "cheerleaders" are more a distraction than a help. I've heard boys comment that they can't hear their coaches because of the girls. Sure, the girls are nice to look at, but are they helping? They pound on the mat, are not facing the crowd nor are they attempting to rally the crowd's support. Now, there will be multitudes of "cheerleaders" who will disagree - that is ok. To each their own. This is just my opinion.

I suppose you are talking about wrestling "cheerleaders"? We have girls who are like team managers - they keep the books, clock, clean the mat after practice and also encourage and support the boys. Unlike cheerleaders from basketball and football who attempt to get the crowd into cheering and rallying the team, I think wrestling "cheerleaders" are more a distraction than a help. I've heard boys comment that they can't hear their coaches because of the girls. Sure, the girls are nice to look at, but are they helping? They pound on the mat, are not facing the crowd nor are they attempting to rally the crowd's support. Now, there will be multitudes of "cheerleaders" who will disagree - that is ok. To each their own. This is just my opinion.

Please allow me to go on the record as saying... Wrestling cheerleaders are a GOOD thing.

HT

Please allow me to go on the record as saying... Wrestling cheerleaders are a GOOD thing.

HT

Wrestling cheerleaders do not like to be called mat maids.

I guess most women do not like to be called anything with the word maid in it.

Our wrestling cheerleaders helped us out and we made them feel welcome and feel like they were apart of our team. Ours wrestling cheerleaders do not beat on the mats. They would beat on the floor close to the mat.

At tournaments, the "cheerleaders" are allowed next to the mats cheering. At most tournaments, team members are not allowed next to the mats, "only 2 coaches in the corner". I'm sure everyone has heard that. My question then is, since cheerleaders are "offically" team members, why are they allowed next to the mats?

Trite as it may be, it seems logical to me that if cheerleaders are allowed next to the mats, other team members should be allowed too. And before anyone says it, no they shouldn't have to put on a cheerleading uniform to cheer encouragement to a fellow team member.

Sorry, but my vote is no team member should be allowed next to the mat. That includes cheerleaders. It is very annoying to the opposing coaches that they are sitting next to.

We have 20 - 30 wrestlerettes and 5 trainers at Collins Hill and we couldn't do without them.

The wrestlerettes score, keep the book, run clocks, clean the mats, update brackets and keep Coach Ramos straight. I've heard several refs tell coaches to check the score the Collins Hill wrestlerettes have, because it will be right.

The trainers, for the most part, are all certified in CPR and the use of difibulators. The trainers can handle cuts, bloody noses, bruises, sprains, breaks and even supervise rehab. The great thing about our trainers is they don't care what color your singlet is they're ready to help.

I'm proud of our girls and proud of the fact that they are so efficient they've been asked to run the 5A state tournament in Georgia for the past several years.

Edited by RMC

At tournaments, the "cheerleaders" are allowed next to the mats cheering. At most tournaments, team members are not allowed next to the mats, "only 2 coaches in the corner". I'm sure everyone has heard that. My question then is, since cheerleaders are "offically" team members, why are they allowed next to the mats?

Trite as it may be, it seems logical to me that if cheerleaders are allowed next to the mats, other team members should be allowed too. And before anyone says it, no they shouldn't have to put on a cheerleading uniform to cheer encouragement to a fellow team member.

Sorry, but my vote is no team member should be allowed next to the mat. That includes cheerleaders. It is very annoying to the opposing coaches that they are sitting next to.

Zzzzzzzzzz

Well I think the reason they let wrestling cheerleaders near a mat during a tournament rather than the team mates of the wrestler that is wrestling because team mates would be yelling instructions to their team mate, which would be considered coaching and a team is only allowed two coaches near the mat. Wrestling cheerleaders just cheer and most of them do not know the names of the moves, but the team mates of the wrestlers would like I said be telling their friend instructions through his/her match.

Mat maids/trainers/managers/wrestlerettes/little sisters or whatever you call them seem to take a load off the coaches' shoulders by taking care of a lot of mundane but very important tasks.

Cheerleaders, on the other hand, and their "PICK HIM UP AND PUT HIM DOWN. PIN HIS SHOULDERS TO THE GROUND" cheers are a distracting annoyance.