McNair, Volek, Mauck, Lienart, Young and Cutler

I won't bore you with a copy and paste of the Tennessean article this New Years morning but I will post the link and beg you to read it. Many of the very issues that have been raised on this board has been addressed, though vaguely, by this printing.

McNair Hopes to be Back......The Tennessean.com

In my opinion, we cannot bank our future on a QB that does not practice. His injuries has taken it's toll not only on McNair, but the team too. It shows every time he steps on the field. If he starts next year, we will have the equivalent of a Chris Chandler at the helm, worrying whether the next hit will put him out for the season at the price of $50 million or some negotiated figure of catastrophic cap proportions. Steve should negotiate for the backup position for the Titans IF he wants to remain a Titan. He should receive the highest pay given to backups in this league because I believe he is that invaluable to this team. The fans and players respect him. The problem is his body doesn't. As a starter, his stock will fall like Black Monday in the stock market. The time has come to sit in the wings and train the new kids, let his body rest and heal and come into the game when needed. I think that is the perfect scenario for Steve now. Remaining a Titan, being smart enough to step down and give his knowledge to the future of this organization is the best we can hope for the future security of this club. Anything else as a Titan, will be nothing short of cronyism and lunacy, two traits shown by this administration in the past.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catfish-hunter

When you said Chris Chandler you used the perfect name, HOWEVER unlike you I am thinking of Chandler for an entirely different reason.

In the 1995 NFL Draft the Tennessee Titans (then Houston Oilers) drafted a strong armed mobile quarterback named Steve McNair from Alcorn State. During McNair's rookie season (the team's final year in Houston) he sat and learned behind a veteran quarterback named Chris Chandler. The next year when the team moved to Memphis and they became the Tennessee Oilers they drafted a stud tailback from Ohio State University named Eddie George. With one year of experience under his belt and the stud power running back behind him in the backfield it was finally time for McNair to take over for the Oilers (Titans) because that was what they needed to do to build what ultimately became one of the top franchises in the NFL during the late-90's through the 2003 season, which was the final year that the team was together before the salary cap issues really took a toll on this team.

It is now 2006 and April's NFL Draft will be here before we know it. The Tennessee Titans have the 3rd pick in the entire draft, behind the Texans and the Saints, and this is the pick that could realistically make or break this franchise for years to come. The Houston Texans are going to take Reggie Bush with the first pick in the draft. The key for the Titans is what will the Saints do with the second pick. It is no secret that the Saints need a quarterback because Aaron Brooks has worn out his welcome in the Big Easy and Todd Bauman is hardly the future for a team that needs something that their fans can rally around for the future. The problem for the Saints, as Solomon pointed out last week, is that the owner (Tom Benson) is an idiot and he'll in all likelyhood trade out of that pick to garner other picks as well as $$$$. In all likelyhood the team tha will trade for that pick will be a team that needs a great young quarterback (ie Matt Leinert) for "the future" of the franchise. The Raiders, Cowboys, and Jets are all good examples. With the #3 pick the Titans would absolutely love for Leinert to fall into their lap. Either way the fact is that they need a quarterback to build for "the future".

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THIS QUARTERBACK OF "THE FUTURE"??????

I say you do exactly what you did a decade ago because that seemed to work out pretty good. The Titans are a bad team yes but the good news is that they aren't far away from being a really good team once again. Young players must improve and at other positions additions, either through the draft or through free agency, is a must. After McNair sat for a year and watched Chandler play he became one of the top quarterbacks in the league and accomplished many great achievments (such as winning the MVP award and leading the team to the Super Bowl). I say the quarterback that is added must sit and learn behind a player like McNair for a year before you "hand the young man the keys to the corvette".

Two years ago the Cincinnati Bengals took the exact same route as Tennessee (then Houston) did nearly a decade earlier. They drafted Heisman Trophy Winner Carson Palmer with the first overall pick in the draft and he sat behind an experienced veteran quarterback in John Kitna. After sitting behind Kitna for a season and learning the system head coach Marvin Lewis named Palmer the starter the next year, despite the fact that Kitna had a Pro Bowl caliber season the year that Palmer sat and watched him learn. Within two years Palmer has led the Bengals to a division title (the franchise's first since 1990).

If Steve McNair has a great season next year that's terrific, HOWEVER he will have to hand the job over to whatever quarterback the team decides will be "the future" before the 2007 NFL regular season kicks off. I personally do not believe it will be that big of an issue. Kitna has been great for Palmer in Cincy. Chandler taught McNair as a youngster and he went on to take the Atlanta Falcons to a Super Bowl two years later. McNair is a classy professional that has not only the respect of his team and coaching staff but that holds true all around the league. He would be a valueable part to a young player's career.

Here is one choice worth the thought do you trade the #3 pick to the Charger for Philip Rivers and possibly the Chargers 2nd rd. pick?

If McNair is back (I think he will be with a big salary reduction) do you do the above for Rivers to be the starter and McNair being the backup? or Do you trade Volek and a 2nd or 3rd rd. pick or a pick next season to the saints for the #2 pick?

I don't see Billy Volek being in a Titans uniform next year. If none of the above is possible I don't see any qb in the draft worth taking as the #3 pick other than Matt Leinart or if he comes out Vince Young. Jay Cutler is a good QB but a lot of draft boards don't think he is a top 10 pick and I agree.

If they can't get Bush or Leinart.

I say get the #1 player any position and that would be....

D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT (6'5, 294) Virginia

Mario Williams DE (6'6, 285) NC State (If he comes out)

A.J. Hawk LB (6'1, 243) Ohio State

Jimmy Williams CB (6'2, 205) Virginia Tech (Titans could become one of the best secondarys in the league in few years with this pick!)

• 4 weeks later...

McNair has asked for $9 million as a minimum. Duh....I knew he couldn't hold back. BUT, this tells me one thing, he had mentioned weeks ago he would take a big cut. Now, he's changed his tune. This tells me he believes for whatever reason that Vince Young won't be coming to the Titans and he's demanding more money. Sounds as if Cutler is in the crosshairs of the Titans front office......just speculating B)

McNair has asked for $9 million as a minimum. Duh....I knew he couldn't hold back. BUT, this tells me one thing, he had mentioned weeks ago he would take a big cut. Now, he's changed his tune. This tells me he believes for whatever reason that Vince Young won't be coming to the Titans and he's demanding more money. Sounds as if Cutler is in the crosshairs of the Titans front office......just speculating :thumb:

I hope that Cutler is not the choice.

• 3 weeks later...