Raleigh Egypt Basketball

Jumpshot

This past week, Raleigh Egypt H.S. participated in the former "Slam-Dunk-on-the-Beach" Tournament (now called The Beachball Classic) in Lewes, Delaware.

This is one of the premier national tournaments held over the holidays, and 33 teams participated in it this year from all over the nation. Some of the the teams were nationally ranked and the elite prep school division featured South Kent and Patterson who will play on national television January 15th in the Hall of Fame Game on ESPN. Florida Prep (which features former Ridgeway star Pierre Niles) also played.

The Pharaohs opened with undefeated Nansemond River H.S. from Suffolk, VA. The Pharaohs won in a hard-fought game by a score of 61-55.

The semi-final game was against Gonzaga H.S. from Washington, D.C. who had defeated Paul Robeson H.S. from New York in their opener. Robeson had just defeated Rice (the #3 team in the nation) the week before. The Pharaohs defeated Gonzaga 63-50 to advance to the championship.

The Championship game was against Bishop Ireton H.S. out of Alexaandria. VA. They featured a lineup of 7'0", 6'10", 6'8", 6'8", 6'2". They also had substitutes 6'9, 6'8" and 6'6". Their head coach was Chuck Driesell, son of legendary coach Lefty Driesell who was in attendance at the game. The Pharaohs controlled the game and the game tempo from start to finish and won the championship 48-36.

Junior Maurice Miller was selected to the five man all-tournament team. Seniors Nathaniel Calhoun and Marcus Hunter played well for the Pharaohs as did juniors Derrick Edwards and Caleb Brown. This Pharaoh squad may not be exceptionally big, and they are young, but they impressed everyone at the tournament.

This brings the Pharaohs' overall record to 14-1 entering district play following the holidays. The only loss was to Sparkman H.S. in the championship game of the SportsMed Tournament, on a last-second tip in at the buzzer. Since the Pharaohs lost four starters and the sixth man off last year's state final team, this year's team was supposed to be down. (All five of last year's seniors are playing college ball so that attests to their departed abilities.)

The Pharaohs already own quality wins over Ridgeway, White Station, Overton, Wooddale and Kirby this season, and if they win against Craigmont and Cordova, will play Hamilton for the city championship.

Edited by Jumpshot

This past week, Raleigh Egypt H.S. participated in the former "Slam-Dunk-on-the-Beach" Tournament (now called The Beachball Classic) in Lewes, Delaware...The Championship game was against Bishop Ireton H.S. out of Alexaandria. VA. They featured a lineup of 7'0", 6'10", 6'8", 6'8", 6'2". They also had substitutes 6'9, 6'8" and 6'6". Their head coach was Chuck Driesell, son of legendary coach Lefty Driesell who was in attendance at the game. The Pharaohs controlled the game and the game tempo from start to finish and won the championship 48-36...

This Pharaoh squad may not be exceptionally big, and they are young, but they impressed everyone at the tournament...

This brings the Pharaohs' overall record to 14-1 entering district play following the holidays. The only loss was to Sparkman H.S. in the championship game of the SportsMed Tournament, on a last-second tip in at the buzzer. Since the Pharaohs lost four starters and the sixth man off last year's state final team, this year's team was supposed to be down. (All five of last year's seniors are playing college ball so that attests to their departed abilities.)

The Pharaohs already own quality wins over Ridgeway, White Station, Overton, Wooddale and Kirby this season, and if they win against Craigmont and Cordova, will play Hamilton for the city championship.

When is the City Championship game, Jumpshot?

Go ahead and book a Raleigh-Egypt vs Hamilton City Championship game...

While I'm picking Hamilton to beat R.E, I wouldn't be surprised should R.E. beat Hamilton. The reason: superior coaching.

Congratulatons to Raleigh Egypt on its upstart season, so far.

TraderB

Thanks for the congratulations.

The city championship game will be Saturday, February 18th. It will probably be in the Coliseum since I don't think the Pyramid is an option any longer. Hamilton is definitely having a great year and I don't see anyone upsetting them but we all know that Memphis is a minefield, and it's tough for any team to go undefeated. (Last one I can recall was the Melrose team with William Bedford.)

There are several AAA teams this year capable of making it to the state, but I think Hamilton will definitely be one. The other could come from Ral-Egypt, Ridgeway, White Station, Overton, Houston, Bolton, or upset teams like Kirby or Wooddale. Don't count out a young Fairley team either. Should get interesting come tournament time.

This brings the Pharaohs' overall record to 14-1 entering district play following the holidays. The only loss was to Sparkman H.S. in the championship game of the SportsMed Tournament, on a last-second tip in at the buzzer.

Raleigh Egypt also LOST to Liberty High School, at Liberty, on Friday, November 18. The score of that game was Liberty 73 Raleigh Egypt 67.

Reitz

It's true that Ral-Egypt lost to Liberty in the exhibition Hall-of-Fame game the first game of the year. Liberty has an excellent team and played very well in that game. It was however a very subpar performance by Ral-Egypt. Marcus Hunter was injured early in that game and Nathaniel Calhoun, just coming off the football field, sat the bench in early foul trouble. The young players on the team have now grown up and Hunter is healthy.

Wish there could be a rematch but I guess we will have to just live with the outcome. Best of luck to Liberty the rest of the year. Bring home the gold ball and make us proud. The championship should be between you, Mitchell, or Bolivar. Don't overlook Fayette Ware...they have some impressive wins so far and Haywood could be an upset team.

Reitz

It's true that Ral-Egypt lost to Liberty in the exhibition Hall-of-Fame game the first game of the year. Liberty has an excellent team and played very well in that game. It was however a very subpar performance by Ral-Egypt. Marcus Hunter was injured early in that game and Nathaniel Calhoun, just coming off the football field, sat the bench in early foul trouble. The young players on the team have now grown up and Hunter is healthy.

Wish there could be a rematch but I guess we will have to just live with the outcome. Best of luck to Liberty the rest of the year. Bring home the gold ball and make us proud. The championship should be between you, Mitchell, or Bolivar. Don't overlook Fayette Ware...they have some impressive wins so far and Haywood could be an upset team.

Isn't it true that the Hall of Fame games don't count towards a team's

official record? Congratulations to Raleigh-Egypt on a quality performance

at a quality tournament. Tennessee schools have made a great showing

in the major tournaments during this Christmas season.

Jumpshot,

Hall of Fame games CAN count towards a teams official record if the school chooses to count it per the TSSAA. Every team who wins a Hall of Fame game counts it on their record. Unfortunately, I have never seen a team who lost a Hall of Fame game count the game.

In my opinion, if the teams wore their game jerseys, if fans had to buy a ticket to watch the game, and if officials were hired, then in it was a game that should count on BOTH teams records.

I wish the TSSAA would declare one way or another if Hall of Fame games count towards a teams official record. The wishy washy way it works now is unacceptable.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

Hall of Fame games CAN count towards a teams official record if the school chooses to count it per the TSSAA. Every team who wins a Hall of Fame game counts it on their record. Unfortunately, I have never seen a team who lost a Hall of Fame game count the game.

In my opinion, if the teams wore their game jerseys, if fans had to buy a ticket to watch the game, and if officials were hired, then in it was a game that should count on BOTH teams records.

I wish the TSSAA would declare one way or another if Hall of Fame games count towards a teams official record. The wishy washy way it works now is unacceptable.

ReitzFan,

I agree 100%!!!

Questions:

1) What's supposed to be the darn point of allowing a team the OPTION of counting the results of a Hall of Fame game?

2) How and when did this rediculous TSSAA rule get implemented?

(There must be some sort of politics involved in such sensless policy)

3) What's it gonna take to get this stupid rule changed?

Edited by TraderB

I think Patterson is the team we scrimaged, they are loaded with talent and Devon Jefferson...some say he's going pro. That is very impressive if they beat teams like Patterson. I saw Raleigh Egypt play Bolivar last year for the AA state championship and I saw alot of talent, who did they return from last year's team? "Of all the positions, the small forward spot is the one that has the most high-level talent still available. Leading the way is Davon Jefferson, the No. 6 rated player overall in the country by Unapproved Website. There are still a number of talented players at the three spot that are looking for a home at the next level." (Unapproved Website) here's the link Unapproved Website