Tennessee High @ Central

Cap1

Central and THS are tied with seconds left in the game… Johnson (THS) puts up a desperation shot that misses the mark. The ball comes off the rim and players from both teams attempt to rebound. As the buzzer goes off an official blows his whistle and signals foul. He asks that both teams assume their positions around the lane and that 1 tenth of a second be put back on the clock (which of course isn’t possible) for the ensuing free throw. Buchanan makes the free throw and the game ends with a 1 point Cougars victory.

Not trying to take anything away from Central because they clearly outplayed the Vikings the entire first half of play but the roles where reversed in the second half. Overtime would have been a good deciding factor but the ref decided to take things into his own hands. Of course … Buchanan could have missed the shot but I don’t think anyone in the gym thought that was going to happen. Good call by the ref…or was this a classic case of a bad official making a Retaliatory call because of a rowdy fan(s)?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central and THS are tied with seconds left in the game… Johnson (THS) puts up a desperation shot that misses the mark. The ball comes off the rim and players from both teams attempt to rebound. As the buzzer goes off an official blows his whistle and signals foul. He asks that both teams assume their positions around the lane and that 1 tenth of a second be put back on the clock (which of course isn’t possible) for the ensuing free throw. Buchanan makes the free throw and the game ends with a 1 point Cougars victory.

Not trying to take anything away from Central because they clearly outplayed the Vikings the entire first half of play but the roles where reversed in the second half. Overtime would have been a good deciding factor but the ref decided to take things into his own hands. Of course … Buchanan could have missed the shot but I don’t think anyone in the gym thought that was going to happen. Good call by the ref…or was this a classic case of a bad official making a Retaliatory call because of a rowdy fan(s)?

here is the way i seen it... Buchanan already had the rebound when he was fouled. so dont try to make it sound like they were going for rebound, he already had the ball. buchanan did get fouled. maybe they should have called it maybe not. it was not a desperation shot that Johnson put up, he had 18 sec. to get a good shot and he did, it was a 8 or 10 foot jumper. a desperation shot is the one from half court THS hit at halftime.... take that shot away and the refs call at the end dosent matter. they were rowdy fans on both sides. central beat ths at its own game, slow tempo good defense.

I had a feeling there was going to be excuses. Gabe really got hammered. Johnson tried to lean in and get a foul. If the player shooting initiates the contact it isn't a foul, and that's exactly what he did. There should have been no time left though, but having everyone on the line I think, helped ease the pressure for Gabe.

I had a feeling there was going to be excuses. Gabe really got hammered. Johnson tried to lean in and get a foul. If the player shooting initiates the contact it isn't a foul, and that's exactly what he did. There should have been no time left though, but having everyone on the line I think, helped ease the pressure for Gabe.

I didn’t make this statement to be an excuse. With the exception of a second half surge (and Phil not being able to guard DeShaud at the end of the game when he got the green light) the Cougars were the better team last night. I’m just saying…I overheard a one sided exchange between a Viking parent and that same ref as he went into the locker room and again when he came out. They must know each other because he called the ref by name. In the second half you have to admit that he made several questionable calls or should I say “no calls”. My guess is that had it not been for this exchange we would have had overtime. My question is who do the refs have to answer too? Are they allowed to continue to make questionable call after call or are there repercussions for not being a fare and impartial judge! All of these games are on film if proof was necessary.

Isn't this one of the good old boys who travels to ref with TN High south each year and now they turn against him go figure.

What do you mean “good old boys who travels to ref with TN High south each year”? Please explain…If you know what you’re talking about. I’ve heard that accusation before and have been a close follower of THS sports for a long while and I don’t know where that comes from.

And if you know which ref that I’m referring to then you must have been at the game. So you should know he must not be a “good old boy” of THS to make the game deciding call that he did with no time on the clock.

My guess is that had it not been for this exchange we would have had overtime. My question is who do the refs have to answer too? Are they allowed to continue to make questionable call after call or are there repercussions for not being a fare and impartial judge! All of these games are on film if proof was necessary.

Referees, at least the good ones, don't let personal "grudges" get in the way of their impartiality. But they are human. I bet if you ask any coach of any high school team in TN if there is a ref who they think has something against them or their team, I would be surprised if they would say no. But as far as films of games as proof, remember most of the calls that referees make are judgement calls. Very few calls in basketball are correctable. Therefore, very few of a referees decisions would ever be reviewed by anyone. The only things TSSAA would begin to look at are procedural in nature (the same few kind of calls that are correctable). My theme for this year going to watch any high school game is "The refs take all the fun out of the game for everybody". So if I accept that, its a wash, and I focus on the quality of play of the team I am cheering for, and hope the refs don't spoil the game for the kids playing their hearts out. :o

Referees, at least the good ones, don't let personal "grudges" get in the way of their impartiality. But they are human. I bet if you ask any coach of any high school team in TN if there is a ref who they think has something against them or their team, I would be surprised if they would say no. :lol:

Who compensates the refs and makes out their schedules?

Believe me I give credit where credit is due…but I do see were you’re coming from. The city vs county thing isn’t even a factor for me. I could care less whether a team is from the city or the county…that argument is very petty if you ask me. Truth be known I was very proud of Central for the season that they had last year and was in full support of them throughout the playoffs. The bottom line is Central hasn’t been able to win the big games this year YET. If or when they do I will be one of the first to give them their props…even if it’s against THS.

Back to subject…Tennessee High does deserve a top ten look and I think they will be one of the teams to represent the East this year.

Give Central credit and move on, just like you said.

I doubt that a ref would make a call just because of some rowdy TN High fans. I would say Central probably has some of the rowdiest fans around.

Give Central credit and move on, just like you said.

I doubt that a ref would make a call just because of some rowdy TN High fans. I would say Central probably has some of the rowdiest fans around.

I’m a man of my word brock. Read post #4 on this thread.

And do us all a favor and ask you kids to help you when you get ready to post next time. :D;)

Sorry brock…you’re just such an easy target!! :P

I’m a man of my word brock. Read post #4 on this thread.

And do us all a favor and ask you kids to help you when you get ready to post next time. ;):D

Sorry brock…you’re just such an easy target!! :P

Yeah you and one of your buddies were easy targets too after the game leaning over the rails and yelling at the refs. Too bad Coach T doesn't track how many times someone puts their foot in their mouth.

Isn't it about time for you to change your name on here again?

Yeah you and one of your buddies were easy targets too after the game leaning over the rails and yelling at the refs. Too bad Coach T doesn't track how many times someone puts their foot in their mouth.

Isn't it about time for you to change your name on here again?

hey brock, i would say cap1/it shelly is out with the boys turning up a few cold ones after the big win over d. crockett.... he is thinking of a few more excuses for the loss to central, first the refs then a parent made the ref mad, what is next? let him sleep the latenight outing off and i am sure we will here the new excuse. but he still says he is a man of his word.....