Loretto 51, Giles Co. 44 - Nikki Reed 12 pts.

PageMan

Loretto........9...12....17..13....51

Giles Co.....15...8.....14...7.....44

Loretto Player Stats:

Nikki Reed - 12 pts (1 three, 1 of 1 FTs), 3 rebs, 1 asst

Leah Stone - 9 pts (1 three, 2 of 2 FTs), 8 rebs, 1 blk, 1 asst

Dava Dickson - 9 pts (5 of 8 FTs), 10 rebs, 6 blks

Sara Brewer - 7 pts (3 of 6 FTs), 5 rebs, 2 blks

Heather Duncan - 6 pts (0 of 1 FTs), 2 rebs

Jessica Green - 5 pts (3 of 4 FTs), 3 rebs, 5 assts

Mandy Cross - 3 pts (1 of 2 FTs)

Giles Co. Player Stats:

Nikki Lewellyn - 12 pts (2 threes), 2 rebs, 3 assts

Vee Young - 8 pts (0 of 2 FTs), 6 rebs, 3 blks, 3 assts

Marquessia Davidson - 8 pts (0 of 2 FTs), 6 rebs

Aljanise Ewing - 8 pts (2 of 4 FTs), 3 rebs, 3 assts

Nikkita Hightower - 4 pts (2 of 4 FTs), 4 rebs

Jenny Brewer - 2 pts, 1 reb

Monique Wong - 2 pts (0 of 1 FTs),

Hope Garrett - 2 rebs, 3 assts

Akoya Nelson - 2 rebs

Omega Garrett - 1 reb

Team Stats:

Free Throws: Loretto 15 of 24 (62.5%), GC 6 of 15 (40%)

Rebounds: Loretto 31, GC 27

Assists: Loretto 7, GC 12

Fouls: Loretto 16, GC 19

Turnovers: Loretto 17, GC 18

Loretto looked a little shaky in the 1st half as Giles led 23-21 at the break, but came on in the 2nd half outscoring Giles 30-21 to take the win to move to 6-0 in district play. Loretto went with their taller lineup including both Dickson and Brewer who combined for 16 pts, 15 rebs, and 8 blocks. Loretto's Reed scored 10 of 12 pts in the 2nd half and Duncan came off the bench to end up with 6 pts. Stone hit her three in the 1st qtr and also rebounded well with 8. Giles was led by Lewellyn who hit her threes in the 1st half, but failed to score in the 4th qtr. Young had her 8 pts in 3 qtrs of play and also failed to score in the 4th qtr along with Davidson who also had 8 in 3 qtrs. Ewing had 8 with only 1 pt in the 4th qtr. Hightower came off the bench to score her 4 pts in the 4th qtr.

Loretto's Jana Cross sat on the bench in street clothes, but appeared to be moving well on her injured ankle and I think she could play by sometime next week as Loretto travels to Wayne Co. on Tuesday and returns to district play on Friday as they host Spring Hill.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CONGRATULATIONS to the Lady Mustangs on a BIG District win tonight in Giles County. I guess tonight put a few people in their place who were as I like to call them, "doubting toms". I couldn't be more proud of a team, several things went against the Lady Mustangs tonight to give them reason to lay down and die, but in the end the HEART and GUTS prevailed. Congrats to all, and GOOD LUCK the rest of the way. Hopes for a speedy recovery JANA!! :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS to the Lady Mustangs on a BIG District win tonight in Giles County. I guess tonight put a few people in their place who were as I like to call them, "doubting toms". I couldn't be more proud of a team, several things went against the Lady Mustangs tonight to give them reason to lay down and die, but in the end the HEART and GUTS prevailed. Congrats to all, and GOOD LUCK the rest of the way. Hopes for a speedy recovery JANA!! :lol:

Boy it proved me wrong didn't it.

Beating a district opponent by seven that got whalloped by Shelbyville

last weekend by 61 wouldn't get me too excited, with or without my best player.

Loretto is still the best team in this district by far, everybody else is playing

for second. But in my eyes it's a very beatable team especially if that team

can matchup with Cross down low. I liked the Birdyshaw, Hannah, Cross, Stone,

etc etc bunch much better.

That said, until some team out there proves me right, the folks at Loretto have

every right to crow as loud as they want. They're still the best in AA around

these parts.

Loretto is still the best team in this district by far, everybody else is playing

these parts.

Thanks for the compliment. I agree Loretto has had great teams the last 2 years. Here is some interesting stats not just opinions on this year's team compared to the last 2 years through their first 16 games each of these 3 years:

win-loss record point deficet average per game

This year: 15-1 +22

Last year: 12-4 +10

2003-2004: 12-4 +5

This year has had alot more bench play as well making for a more experienced team as a whole with 5 seniors.

Tigerman, I wasn't referring to you in anyway about you being wrong, actually I don't even remember you posting anything...but since you chose to throw yourself into it I may as well go ahead and comment. In regards to your Shelbyville beating Giles County 61 last week..well, why don't we try and compare apples and oranges. It really doesn't make since to throw Loretto, or even Giles County for that matter into the same category..SHELBYVILLE is AAA and have tons more to choose from than does Loretto or Giles County. Alright, got that part off my chest. Now for the next comment about liking a combination of players that are long gone. That doesn't make for a very competent remark either. I'm sure if everyone sat back and looked at old players from their high school that they could mix and match, and go back in time and conglomerate one well of a team, but by gones are by gones, and those ladies are in college now. The ones you named were great athletes and I'm in NO way putting them down, but if you are referring to last years team, they made it to the SEMI-FINALS of the REGION tournament. Several teams have done that. If you were referring to the team that went to the State Tournament two years ago, well yeah, I'll give you that, anybody would be more impressed with a group of girls who made it to the State Tournament, regardless of how the rest of the season played out. That's pretty obvious. Last, but not least, your comment about "in your eyes" Loretto being a BEATABLE team..well, that doesn't take a lot of brain power to figure either seeing how they lost the 2nd game of the season to the Lady Wildcats of Wayne County. Bad night, and we didn't play well. Every team has those nights, therefore every team is BEATABLE at some point. Well, with all that being said, good luck in your playing for 2nd in the district. Hey, don't get mad, you said that, I didn't.

these parts.

Tigerman,

First of all Shelbyville won by 52 not 61. Second, if you want to compare different teams in different games there is always two ways to look at things. Here is another way using the teams you chose. Shelbyville got beat by Lincoln County 56-51 then Lincoln County got beat by Giles County 46-41 and then Giles County got beat by Loretto 51-44 (Without Jana Cross who score 39-points the last time they played Giles County.) I guess that means if Jana had played the other night Loretto would have scored 51+39=90 and Giles County probably wouldn't have scored as much 44-6=38. Making the final score 90-38=52-point difference which is the same as Shelbyville 91-39=52-point difference win over Giles County. Or we could look at it a third way. Loretto beat Giles County by 7-points. Giles County beat Lincoln County by 5-points. Lincoln County beat Shelbyville by 5-points. Therefore 7+5+5=17 which means Loretto could beat Shelbyville by 17-points without using Jana Cross.

Lets face the facts, all of these theories (yours and mine) are pretty stupid and every game has a different outcome even when the same two teams play twice, that's why the score is never the same the second time around. This is why I know any team can win or lose to any other team on any given night. A good example of this would be Loretto's boy's. They've managed to win two games this year and for the life of me, i don't know how?

Edited by odds maker

Tigerman,

First of all Shelbyville won by 52 not 61. Second, if you want to compare different teams in different games there is always two ways to look at things. Here is another way using the teams you chose. Shelbyville got beat by Lincoln County 56-51 then Lincoln County got beat by Giles County 46-41 and then Giles County got beat by Loretto 51-44 (Without Jana Cross who score 39-points the last time they played Giles County.) I guess that means if Jana had played the other night Loretto would have scored 51+39=90 and Giles County probably wouldn't have scored as much 44-6=38. Making the final score 90-38=52-point difference which is the same as Shelbyville 91-39=52-point difference win over Giles County. Or we could look at it a third way. Loretto beat Giles County by 7-points. Giles County beat Lincoln County by 5-points. Lincoln County beat Shelbyville by 5-points. Therefore 7+5+5=17 which means Loretto could beat Shelbyville by 17-points without using Jana Cross.

Lets face the facts, all of these theories (yours and mine) are pretty stupid and every game has a different outcome even when the same two teams play twice, that's why the score is never the same the second time around. This is why I know any team can win or lose to any other team on any given night. A good example of this would be Loretto's boy's. They've managed to win two games this year and for the life of me, i don't know how?

Wow what a formula!

Does anyone know forsure yet if Cross will return for the Wayne County game? I was thinking of making the trip down to see that one, but If Jana is not playing, I will probably go somewhere else Tuesday night.

ptguard12,

The word in Vegas is that she'll be out until Friday.

Some people think she might play but only if Loretto 100% has to have her.

Although she seemed to be walking fine at the Giles County game, I think the Vegas odds are probably right because I heard her mother tell somebody that Jana wasn't going to play until Friday and you know as well as I do that Mothers have the final say.

ptguard12,

The word in Vegas is that she'll be out until Friday.

Some people think she might play but only if Loretto 100% has to have her.

Although she seemed to be walking fine at the Giles County game, I think the Vegas odds are probably right because I heard her mother tell somebody that Jana wasn't going to play until Friday and you know as well as I do that Mothers have the final say.

Thanks. If anything changes before Tuesday let me know.