Wrestling Officials

powerhouse1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL...... :lol:

how would listing the top 5 address the issue that started this thread? LOL.....funniest thing I have read today. :lol:

Exactly, My point! You are here to put down officials not better the sport. If you want things to get better the write to Ronnie Carter at TSSAA with legitimate complaints and documented wrongs, not just post on a board anonymously.

Have you ever worn the black and white shirt in any sport? I doubt it.

The officials that are selected to do the State tournament are the best in Tennessee.

We are all human and therfore prone to mistakes. I know there are things in my officiating that I need to work on and I try to work on those points every time I hit the mat. I also realize that there are some officals that don't try as hard as others. And that's fine because we all know that there are some kids out there who are happy with being as good as they are and not working to get better.

I agree with most of what you said except the above. Comparing a ref that doesn't try as hard to a kid that doesn't try as hard is not a good comparison. Compare the ref to a coach that doesn't try as hard and that is OK. Refs and coaches get paid (for the most part). The safety and fairness of the wrestlers depends on refs and coaches busting their tails to do the best job they can.

Exactly, My point! You are here to put down officials not better the sport. If you want things to get better the write to Ronnie Carter at TSSAA with legitimate complaints and documented wrongs, not just post on a board anonymously.

Have you ever worn the black and white shirt in any sport? I doubt it.

The officials that are selected to do the State tournament are the best in Tennessee.

Again,,,LOL.....please come in from La La Land. :rolleyes:

talking about the issues of officials could certainly be seen/said to be "making the sport better".

I am confused why being anonymous has anything thing to do with the credibility of anything posted on here so far.

I am always amazed with the comment on "who wears the stripes", or "get out there yourself" , or insert your favorite phrase that follows that thought process. It has not one thing to do with legitimate observation of the state of ref-ing in the state of Tn.

And finally, you may be right about the officials that are selected to do the State Tourney are the best the State has to offer, but that does not say anything about how good they are or are not. With that comment, it could be the best we have to offer and still be below acceptable. (although I believe those refs do a fine job!)

After reading your post.....it is apparent you have very a little understanding of the

purpose of an official and what is being complained about.

As a coach, my kids drill and condition in a manner that not only is demanding, it

requires a great degree of selflessness and sacrifice. Keep this in mind as you read the rest of this.

A referee is there to insure that the "rules of the sport" are enforced in an effort

to produce an accurate result and to protect the wrestlers.

It took over half of the season before referees began to penalize an illegal wing, most continued to call potentially dangerous if called at all.......however if one of

my guys leg touched the butt of the other wrestler in the referees position it consistently cautioned. This is only one example of many that could be given.

To me it is a symptom of a lack of experience or majoring in the minors and minoring in the majors. Illegal holds are not readily identified by over half

of the refs. A small number of refs cannot clearly see the weigh in sheets.

Over half are not in position to make a timely/accurate call. I have actually

counted to one thousand four before a few get down on the mat......numerous pins

have been missed because of.........simple laziness?

If my kid goes on the mat and does something similar, he gets beat. He has

an immediate result that he experiences.

A referee should be assessed by experienced referees and they should have to

pass an eye exam and a physical in addition to experiencing regular assessments.

I don't like to complain about refs, however it's the only form of real feedback that

an assignor gets. I pick my battles according to the real danger and that is generally limited to those referees who show a total disregard to understanding

of illegal holds or flagrant violations.

You might be able to feel comfortable with throwing verbal stones at a spectator

or even a coach for expressing concern..........try telling a parent why their son

is on the way to the hospital......when the ref says he didn't see the illegal headlock or neck wrench.......you think I'll get excited on sideline when I see it

happening again.......you bet I will.... as a coach I have a right and a duty to question or obtain an explanation in a respectful manner and expect that same

level of respect from an official......generally the weaker officials show very little

respect to the kids or the coaches, it is unfortunate.

Again the purpose of a ref is ............

reftn,

As long as they are doing one the other should be happening..........an illegal "anything" that is not seen is due to either lack of knowlege or being out of

position to view the critical elements of the hold.

I am just stating some facts and attempting to address observations and assumptions being made with regard to why a coach communicates with an official.

The rules are augmented by illustrations in the back of the book.

I have respect for many officials, but especially those that are honest enough to

admit a mistake and or those that are respectful of the wrestlers and the coaches.

Regular observation, assessment, and feedback are proven methods of enhancing performance at an individual level or even at a group level.

It is a very real issue and unfortunate for the ones that work hard at being the best they can be.......both the officials and the wrestlers.

Again,,,LOL.....please come in from La La Land. :huh:

talking about the issues of officials could certainly be seen/said to be "making the sport better".

I am confused why being anonymous has anything thing to do with the credibility of anything posted on here so far.

I am always amazed with the comment on "who wears the stripes", or "get out there yourself" , or insert your favorite phrase that follows that thought process. It has not one thing to do with legitimate observation of the state of ref-ing in the state of Tn.

And finally, you may be right about the officials that are selected to do the State Tourney are the best the State has to offer, but that does not say anything about how good they are or are not. With that comment, it could be the best we have to offer and still be below acceptable. (although I believe those refs do a fine job!)

Then if you think they are so below acceptable, why don't you "put on the stripes" and show us how it is done!

Edited by oneblindref

Oneblindref, reftn, tnsmokediver, and whoever else that is on here that is a referee:

I endorse the earlier comment that tnsmokediver made about respect. In my opinion, no one should address a referee (or hardly anyone else, for that matter) in a disrespectful manner. (Although some may consider my tendency to point out the rules from the stands to be disrespectful, I do not intend it to be disrespectful, just informative…I don’t call the referees names just because they didn’t recall a particular rule at the time).

I do not think any of the referees would cheat for one wrestler against another, nor do I believe that they would consciously favor one school against another (with the exception of the halo effect some coaches may subconsciously have on some referees).

However, this year alone I've witnessed many erroneous calls that were avoidable.*

With this in mind, I ask you as referees, how should we in the wrestling community provide feedback to the referees?

V/R,

Hardly Anonymous.

*I didn't list details here because I assume each of you would agree with the general statement that there are referees that make avoidable erroneous calls. Although I wouldn't name names (see point one, above), I can give you situations I've observed and let you decide if they were avoidable erroneous calls.

Then if you think they are so below acceptable, why don't you "put on the stripes" and show us how it is done!

A guy who has been around able guitar players for a period of time may very competently critique guitar performance without ever performing himself or without ever holding a guitar in his hand. By the same token, a guy who has been around good wrestling officials for a period of time may very well critique an official's performance on the mat without ever officiating himself or without ever needing to "put on the stripes."

The general concern comes from observation (constructive criticism) that there are some officials who may benefit from continuing education in the understanding of and interpretation of rules/practice/science/art* of officiating.

*delaWarr's Higher Order of Progression for Wrestling Officials

Edited by delaWarr

reftn,

Regarding your earlier response to my example.....see the following in the rule

book.

Rule 7 Section 2, Article 1-page 36 .......if the offensive wrestler causes a potentially dangerous hold to become illegal, the offender shall be penalized

according to the penalty chart........

Rule 7 Section 2, Article 2 (a list of potent. dang. holds) (includes a chicken wing)

Now see the photos page 74, #81 (illegal chicken wing)

page 76, #92 and 93 (legal wings, but potentially dangerous)

Hope this helps you.

please re-read my exact words. I do not think that, and I stated it. funny, but I choose my words carefully so that I can be understood.

I was challenging the manner in which he stated his case. That is why I used the would "could" and then put my compliment of them doing a good job right behind it.

Is that not clear enough?

As an official, in our area I think our group does a great job overall. It seems that they’re a lot of good officials in the stands. Because they always seem to tell you how much better they saw it from the stands. But they are always afraid to pay their money to the State and get out there and help us out. PAY YOUR FEE, PUT ON THE STRIPES AND GET OUT THERE! AND THEN TELL US HOW EASY IT IS TO MAKE THAT CALL.

LEARN WHAT THE MEANING OF THE WORDS ARE----SLAM / POTENTIALITY DANGEROUS/STALLING/PIN/NEAR-FALL.

THE ONLY STRIPES SOME OF YOU NEED TO PUT ON ARE THE ONES YOU PUT ON IN PRISON.

It is people like you who get spectators like me angry. You are quick to see a bad call from the seats. The refs are on the mat. Meaning they see things you and I can't see from the bleachers. I remember a match I attended a few weeks back and the coaches along with some of the spectators were horrible. Maybe there are a shortage in refs because all the heckling and other stupid things coaches and spectators say and/or do causes them say "the heck with this, it's not worth the time nor gas to be scrutinized." Remember this , the refs are on the mat, they see better from the mat than in the stands, they pay a fee and take the test to be on the mat and you have not. If you had, you would not be on CoachT knocking on their ability to referee a match. " To err is human." Are you perfect? Why are you expecting them to be? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And everyone is entitled to make mistakes. Some new refs may need a little more training, but that does not make them incompetent at what they do. 9 out 10 refs are former wrestlers, so stop stomping on their ability.

MAYBE THEY SHOULD HAVE JOINED THE ARMY INSTEAD OF BEING A REF. .

So your kid got screwed and you blame the official?

And it appears you signed up for Coach T just to rant on this topic. Nice.

WAIT UNTILL YOUR KID GETS SCREWED.