Wrestling Officials

powerhouse1

The officials in Tennessee are not that good. They just don't have the necessary training. When schools like UT Martin, Middle Tennessee State University, Maryville College, Tennessee Tech, & The University of Tennessee disbanded their programs the number of good wrestlers that want to become an official took a dive. Wrestling varsity in college for four years does not make you a good official but it does give you a foundation that most other officials do not have. How many of the Tennessee officials have ever been to one of the NCAA wrestling officials seminars where they work on mechanics? What happened to the mechanics clinic that the TSSAA was going to conduct every year? Folks, being an official is like being a wrestler; if you want to become the best you have to work at your craft. How may of the Tennessee officials work outside of officiating matches during the high school season at becoming a better official?

Edited by cbg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, my favorite topic.....the Official....I know middle Tennessee prides itself on producing quality officials. They only have to work with who is REGISTERED, willing and able to call a high school wrestling match. At the begining of every season they looking for new members....it's never to late in life to return to the sport!!! I know of a few guys that won't call anymore because of coach's....now is there anything that coach's are required to do prior to the wrestling season??? Like taking a class on the proper way to "not call a match" or stick to coaching and not doing the officials job????

I agree, I think a class for coaches would'nt hurt either. What I was trying to say is that it seems to me that bad calls are accepted in this area and more training would ease this problem. Just my opinion.

Another teacher has been busted for texting little high school girls inapproriate sexual messages. Look at the Tennessean's website.

Back on topic, I thought the Tennessee refs had to go to some kind of clinic or rules meetings??? Dont they take a test and get evaluated by someone?

Edited by stovepipe

How close was the Knapp/Manson match a month or so ago? Did the ref play any part in the outcome?

not sure,,,,since you asked, you tell me. But what I can say is this, what was the Ben Johnson (Baylor) v. Garrison Goins Ringold match score, 3-2.

Here is my point, you can give many as many exceptions as you want (and there are many out there) but an evenly fought match of equals, requires a good/reasonable calls from the ref. A bad call can raise the hand of the other guy in those kind of situations. It does not need to be the best wrestlers in the state, just evenly matched (in talent) wrestlers who would not be able to build a 6 point or greater lead.

The bottom line, wrestlers and coaches depend on good calls. just saying to a wrestler , "wrestle better", is (in my opinion) not being realistic with your team. With that said, I understand where that poster was coming from. Now you know where I am coming from as well.

not sure,,,,since you asked, you tell me. But what I can say is this, what was the Ben Johnson (Baylor) v. Garrison Goins Ringold match score, 3-2.

Here is my point, you can give many as many exceptions as you want (and there are many out there) but an evenly fought match of equals, requires a good/reasonable calls from the ref. A bad call can raise the hand of the other guy in those kind of situations. It does not need to be the best wrestlers in the state, just evenly matched (in talent) wrestlers who would not be able to build a 6 point or greater lead.

The bottom line, wrestlers and coaches depend on good calls. just saying to a wrestler , "wrestle better", is (in my opinion) not being realistic with your team. With that said, I understand where that poster was coming from. Now you know where I am coming from as well.

AMEN

No my kid did not get screwed! Have you ever watched wrestling in any other state? You have to join sometime!

We attended a tournament in KY. this weekend and it made me appreciate the jobs the officials do here. One was very new and indecisive. The other did a pretty good job for not doing a match in over 10 years. We've been lucky so far to get some pretty good officials. The good ones don't get paid enough.

There is not only a shortage of wrestling officials there's is a shortage of good officials. I have never seen so many bad calls in all my life as I have in the past few weeks. I think there is a new hand signal in Tennessee where you cross your hands over each other and shake your head no. This means...I made a bad call and i'm taking back the points I awarded. MORE TRAINING IS CRITICAL.

It is people like you who get spectators like me angry. You are quick to see a bad call from the seats. The refs are on the mat. Meaning they see things you and I can't see from the bleachers. I remember a match I attended a few weeks back and the coaches along with some of the spectators were horrible. Maybe there are a shortage in refs because all the heckling and other stupid things coaches and spectators say and/or do causes them say "the heck with this, it's not worth the time nor gas to be scrutinized." Remember this , the refs are on the mat, they see better from the mat than in the stands, they pay a fee and take the test to be on the mat and you have not. If you had, you would not be on CoachT knocking on their ability to referee a match. " To err is human." Are you perfect? Why are you expecting them to be? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And everyone is entitled to make mistakes. Some new refs may need a little more training, but that does not make them incompetent at what they do. 9 out 10 refs are former wrestlers, so stop stomping on their ability.

It is people like you who get spectators like me angry. You are quick to see a bad call from the seats. The refs are on the mat. Meaning they see things you and I can't see from the bleachers. I remember a match I attended a few weeks back and the coaches along with some of the spectators were horrible. Maybe there are a shortage in refs because all the heckling and other stupid things coaches and spectators say and/or do causes them say "the heck with this, it's not worth the time nor gas to be scrutinized." Remember this , the refs are on the mat, they see better from the mat than in the stands, they pay a fee and take the test to be on the mat and you have not. If you had, you would not be on CoachT knocking on their ability to referee a match. " To err is human." Are you perfect? Why are you expecting them to be? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And everyone is entitled to make mistakes. Some new refs may need a little more training, but that does not make them incompetent at what they do. 9 out 10 refs are former wrestlers, so stop stomping on their ability.

they way you describe this sport, it is not made for spectators, since they can not determine the action from their seats. No wonder the sport seems to be losing fans, they can not follow the action and now should not cheer or jeer like any other sport they know........

as a former official in IL my opinion is some officials in the middle tennessee area need more training. Take a trip to the Midwest things are done much differently.