Liberty @ Bolivar Jan. 20th

baseballa28

Yes, let me just start off by saying this was an awesome game. It lived up to all the hype. I found myself upset that it ended the way it did though. The last 17 seconds were crazy. Liberty was up by 4! And yes I totally agree that Willie Kemp should have been called for a charge. I really thought that Liberty deserved to win this game. The refs weren't very good at all in my opinion, esp. the one that looks like prince charles. I will admit that the refs made some fairly bad calls for Bolivar as well, but at crunch time the calls went against Liberty. I do say that both teams deserve a pat on the back, all of the kids played their hearts out. Hats off to Willie for stepping it up at the end. These two teams are for real, and I look for them to possibly play for the district championship, and both should venture DEEP into the playoffs.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Liberty fans if Evans made that last second shot would you still be crying about the refs face it the better team won when you are a superstar in your own back yard you will get the call 99% of the time good teams know how to win down the strench and thats what Bolivar did all those close games they played prepared them for games like this one Willie has that killer instinct untill Evans and Co gets it they will fall short everytime against Bolivar just like the 04 Southside team

One good thing to remember is that when these two teams get it on for the third time this year in district play, the game will take place in a bigger arena over in Chester County. More people will get the chance to see these two beasts of AA basketball duke it out again in the third chapter of what just might end up being a five chapter epic.

The game was taken from Liberty by the refs in the final 17 seconds. Willie Kemp ran full speed down the court and ran smooth over Devon Jones who was set up for a perfect charge and made the basket and Jones was called for the block. Willie missed the free throw and Wayne grabbed the rebound fell over which you would think they would call a travel. Of course not it is almighty Bolivar that can do no wrong. Willie picks it up and scores the deuce and gets the foul, makes the free throw, puts Bolivar up 75-74. Brandon Evans took the last shot and came up short. Bolivar played good and so did Liberty but I think it should have turned out a little different. The assistant coaches at Bolivar told the guys that the call was horrible and we deserved this one. I know that I'm going to get a lot of "Bolivar won straight up" talk but anyone that is in their right mind knows the game was not fair in those last seconds.

Ok. I can see alot of what you are saying. But first of all, anyone in their "right mind" also knows that the refs also gave Liberty some pretty nice calls too earlier in the game! That's a fact and anoyone who saw it knows it. After all, ALL of the points add up at the end, as do all of the calls-both ways. I think both teams about came out equal on calls in the entire game.

Now, that being said, I was never one of those Bolivar fans who thought it'd be a blow-out. Understand flat out that Bolivar had some big leads early (when was it...2nd Quarter-something like that) and let them slip away! I'm sure the guys realize that. The few that don't better ask somebody!

They could have had it earlier on...but like Rudesill said-their own mistake hurt them and they MUST learn to avoid those. But Chism really played hard last night. With quite a bit of time on the bench. All of the players went for it-both teams, no doubt. But Wayne...that's why you're headed to U.T. man. And Willie Kemp...as I've said before, hardest working H.S. athlete I've ever seen. And you made a great choice w/ U of M.

Liberty is hungry. Most, if not all, of the fans/players at Bolivar know it. I didn't expect anything less than what it was...a tough game. No one at Bolivar is taking the Crusaders for granted...you can be sure of that!

But a win is a win. We've lost some tough one's this year for lots of reasons.

But I do see some of your points. But there were a lot of what I'd say were bad calls/confusing calls on both sides last night. You can't really blame it all on the last 17 seconds.

And Tigers...you can't be giving up points and making mistakes like those as the year draws to a close. You know what to do and how to do it..so do it! You sure as heck know what to do better than I could ever say. Do your best and go with Rudesill and the coaching staff. I believe you'll get there.

Congrats to you guys! :lol:

And Liberty, if we'd lost, I'd call that like it was too. I expect we'll see each other again-you never know-but I'd almost bet on it! And I dread it already You have a fine team. No one is taking you for granted down here.

baseballa28, hey man, I don't know about what others think down here, but NO ONE on this team OR the coaches think we're "almighty". Like I said I feel there were bad/questonable calls on both sides...but if I was in your shoes-gotta admit I see your point on the 17 seconds. I'm only saying there was more to it than that. And as far as a straight up win...a win is a win-but that last minute nearly killed firefulmer!

Either way...what a game!

If it works out like it appears it will...we've all got more to look forward to!

Edited by firefulmer

The game was taken from Liberty by the refs in the final 17 seconds. Willie Kemp ran full speed down the court and ran smooth over Devon Jones who was set up for a perfect charge and made the basket and Jones was called for the block. Willie missed the free throw and Wayne grabbed the rebound fell over which you would think they would call a travel. Of course not it is almighty Bolivar that can do no wrong. Willie picks it up and scores the deuce and gets the foul, makes the free throw, puts Bolivar up 75-74. Brandon Evans took the last shot and came up short. Bolivar played good and so did Liberty but I think it should have turned out a little different. The assistant coaches at Bolivar told the guys that the call was horrible and we deserved this one. I know that I'm going to get a lot of "Bolivar won straight up" talk but anyone that is in their right mind knows the game was not fair in those last seconds.

I was there also and just knew the game was over when Willie ran over Jones because I thought for sure the ref was going to call a charge. I was surprised as anyone, but to also call a continuation and give the basket was a real surprise. But as everyone else has said, there was more than one bad call last night. There will not be a game played without a bad call. Especially one as fast paced as last nights game. We were just lucky enough to catch the break at the right time. I believe Coach Rudesill was correct last night when he said this will just add "fuel to the fire" with Liberty. Great game to both teams! I have a strange feeling that Bolivar will meet Liberty again this year. lol

Great Game! We won! I don't want to hear any noise about referees and officiating. Hey, we went to Giles Co. two years ago for a substate game so we know all about what its like to go into a hostile environment and deal with questionable calls. You play through it. Fact is, Liberty had the ball, plenty of time, and the District MVP (people forget about that). All they had to do was score. They didn't. Game Over. Bolivar Wins.

By the way, there was a incident after the game as the Liberty players were boarding their bus. That shouldn't happen again. ;)

Great Game! We won! I don't want to hear any noise about referees and officiating. Hey, we went to Giles Co. two years ago for a substate game so we know all about what its like to go into a hostile environment and deal with questionable calls. You play through it. Fact is, Liberty had the ball, plenty of time, and the District MVP (people forget about that). All they had to do was score. They didn't. Game Over. Bolivar Wins.

By the way, there was a incident after the game as the Liberty players were boarding their bus. That shouldn't happen again. :thumb:

truhoopsfan, what happened? I mean if you can't tell the full story, can you give a general overview or something?

Man, I don't even know who or what...but I hate when stuff occurs after such a great game! No matter who is playing. When the buzzer sounds it's over no matter who wins and all people need to deal with that type of stuff.

If you can give general details, I'd appreciate it.

And PLEASE don't mention that Giles Co. game again!!! I wasn't there...but a very good friend of mine said when that last second shot was launched-he knew it was in. That was one of my reasons for giving Liberty props. Those type of losses ARE tough.

Firefulmer out.

Edited by firefulmer

what happened after the game was some of the liberty players threw some rocks at willie kemp's car and they were running their mouth to him and his mother. thats uncalled for. liberty are just a bunch of sore losers!!!!

apparently you dont know what your talking about.......it wasnt a player it was a manager and his words were towards willie and not his mom