Referees

MECANER

You may be one of the fair referees out there - but I know for a fact that there are some referees who have a lot to do with the end results of some of those games. The tapes do not lie.

Some times they cheat so bad that we fans do wish they would take a week off or however long they want - because like I stated before - this is a kids' game - not a business (like some like to call it). Any way - some of the coaches are already calling the fouls - and so call refereeing. Ask Raleigh Egypt. One of their coaches calls some of Ridgeway's games. Think Ridgeway's coach can go over and referee Raleigh Egypt's game? I don't think so.

You must be one of those "cheating" referees. Thanks for teaching the kids whom you cheat a lesson - that no weapon formed against them shall prosper - and that includes you.

Fascinating reply, yet immature comment. I'm not a ref... don't want to be.... I encourage you, "since the tapes do not lie", to spend a little 'objective' time watching the missed free throws, the unforced turnovers, missed offensive/defensive assignments, and yes, the coaching errors of your team. But, I don't believe that you have enough understanding or maturity to realize that the 'game' is full of imperfections. Since basketball's inception, it has never been perfect, and I hate to disappoint you, it never will be perfect. And that includes coaches and players, as well as officials. Learn to accept it, or find another hobby such as 'golf', where there are no referees......

Finally, I'm personally offended to be referred to as "... one of those 'cheating' referees". As stated above, I'm not a referee, and more importantly, I'm not a 'cheater'. You can disagree with my opinion(s), but the personal 'slap' at my character is not acceptable. Additionally, I don't 'teach' kids anything about 'cheating' as you have replied. My interaction with kids is to teach them about personal resposibility and facing the decisions that they make in their lives.

You, on the other hand, well...... I won't go there. Reasonable people who read your posts can come to their own conclusion..... But, I will encourage you to realize and accept the mistakes that you make, and don't spend your entire life looking to 'blame' the other guy, when the biggest problem is probably yourself.

Edited by heyitsme

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until you guys see the Smokey Mtn. association, you have no reason to complain. They do the Claiborne, Pigeon Forge, etc. district. These guys are a bunch of showboats that have no clue. I have never seen a group that allows shooters to get mugged going to the basket and call tick tacks on the outside. And they just laugh about it. They worry so much if someone in the stands is heckling them, that they forget about the game on the floor. And they're not just bad for one team, they bad for all of them. I guess the old saying of, "at least they're consistent" goes into play with these guys. But it's really bad if you're consistently horrible. If I see them try to be the center of attention one more time, I may vomit. They are a disgrace to officials that really try and that give a crap about the game and the kids working their tails off to win the games. This association really needes to be looked into by someone. They are an embarrassment.

Fascinating reply, yet immature comment. I'm not a ref... don't want to be.... I encourage you, "since the tapes do not lie", to spend a little 'objective' time watching the missed free throws, the unforced turnovers, missed offensive/defensive assignments, and yes, the coaching errors of your team. But, I don't believe that you have enough understanding or maturity to realize that the 'game' is full of imperfections. Since basketball's inception, it has never been perfect, and I hate to disappoint you, it never will be perfect. And that includes coaches and players, as well as officials. Learn to accept it, or find another hobby such as 'golf', where there are no referees......

Finally, I'm personally offended to be referred to as "... one of those 'cheating' referees". As stated above, I'm not a referee, and more importantly, I'm not a 'cheater'. You can disagree with my opinion(s), but the personal 'slap' at my character is not acceptable. Additionally, I don't 'teach' kids anything about 'cheating' as you have replied. My interaction with kids is to teach them about personal resposibility and facing the decisions that they make in their lives.

You, on the other hand, well...... I won't go there. Reasonable people who read your posts can come to their own conclusion..... But, I will encourage you to realize and accept the mistakes that you make, and don't spend your entire life looking to 'blame' the other guy, when the biggest problem is probably yourself.

Who are you to judge - your reply is also immature - if you're offended, get over it. When it is all said and done with - I am offended when refs cheat. Yes, I did say cheat because they do. If you've never seen a cheating ref - I have seen kids have to play against their opponents as well as the refs - and I'm not changing my opinion because of your whining. I have seen bad calls which were not errors. They were intentionally called in error.

I stated earlier if you are not one of the "cheaters" I'm not talking to you. You responded and you keep responding - and since you are so offended - maybe YOU should find another hobby - i now have a right to freedom of speech. And I will speak. While I'm not looking to blame other people - and we will accept our mistakes - we do not need the refs to control the outcome of games. I know the game very well and understand all that you're saying. There are some bad apples in the bunch - you may not have ran across them, which is good for you. However, I will not change anything that I have said and make no apologies. I just call it like I see it. You've admitted yourself that the game will never be perfect - the entire game - add the fans to your list. I still have a right to my opinion.

I realize that there are still some good/fair refs out there - we had some last night.

Ridgeway,

I simply have one question.......If you know so much about the game and how to teach kids to prosper why aren't YOU OUT THERE BLOWING THE WHISTLE AS A REF! Could it be that you are not willing to put your money where your mouth is and practice what you preach? Or could it be that you are afraid that your ego could not take insults from someone who disagreed with your calls. You people that are constantly complaining about the refs kill me! I don't think anyone that is not willing to walk to a mile in another man's shoes have any right to criticize the people who are willing to take that responsiblity with all the good and bad that comes along with it.

So in summary my question is (i'm willing to bet that you can't come up a legitimate answer ) .....WHY DON'T YOU BECOME A REF?

Ridgeway,

I simply have one question.......If you know so much about the game and how to teach kids to prosper why aren't YOU OUT THERE BLOWING THE WHISTLE AS A REF! Could it be that you are not willing to put your money where your mouth is and practice what you preach? Or could it be that you are afraid that your ego could not take insults from someone who disagreed with your calls. You people that are constantly complaining about the refs kill me! I don't think anyone that is not willing to walk to a mile in another man's shoes have any right to criticize the people who are willing to take that responsiblity with all the good and bad that comes along with it.

So in summary my question is (i'm willing to bet that you can't come up a legitimate answer ) .....WHY DON'T YOU BECOME A REF?

Excellent point Onaroll!

All of us make mistakes. All of us are biased in many ways. Most of us don't get the public scrutiny in our daily lives that referees get.

Could our referees do a better job? Sure they could! Good referees are always trying to get better.

Are there referees out there that aren't ready for Varsity games? Sure there are! BUT, try playing without an officiating team of some description. There would be no games.

Anyone who is interested in making the game better should be willing to participate in some way.

I'm 56, overweight, out of shape, and my eyesight is not as clear as it used to be, so I do play by play for local radio stations. This way I don't make calls on the floor for everyone in the stands to disagree with. Instead, I call the players by the wrong names while straining to see their numerals, and nobody at home knows how badly I'm calling the game. :D<_<

Ridgeway,

When you finish - there are some unfair refs. I have no desire to be a ref; however, that still doesn't give those who do claim to desire to be refs a valid reason to control the outcome of these kids' games.

There are some good refs - and there are some who are unfair. You can't speak for all refs - you can only speak for you.

That's just like you saying all cops are good cops.....Now you figure that one out.

Let's agree to disagree....

Edited by ridgewayfan

If you have ever been to a district 12 AA game then you have seen some horrible games...... These refs seem as if they deliberately call bad because they like the attention they get from the cussing crowd and the raging coaches..... Ithink that they should come to thegame and call what they see.... not what they think will get the crowd to cuss them..... I could go on for days....however I won't because the refs don't spend time to call good in our district so I am not going to spend time dissing on them....

Ridgeway,

I refuse to agree to disagree because you are simply wrong......you have no desire to become a ref but you for some reason have the desire to question the character of the people that are willing to do the job. People that you do not personally know. In my opinion that speaks about your character. Like I said before, if you are not willing to do the job yourself you have no right to criticize those who are. And you still never answered my question......You said you have no desire to become a ref. Why? Because you can't take the criticism of being unfair and biased from someone like yourself?

Ridgeway,

I refuse to agree to disagree because you are simply wrong......you have no desire to become a ref but you for some reason have the desire to question the character of the people that are willing to do the job. People that you do not personally know. In my opinion that speaks about your character. Like I said before, if you are not willing to do the job yourself you have no right to criticize those who are. And you still never answered my question......You said you have no desire to become a ref. Why? Because you can't take the criticism of being unfair and biased from someone like yourself?

Onaroll, you are really "on a roll" - there are cheating referees out there. I don't have to become a cop because there are some terrible cops. In the same breath, I don't have to become a referee because there are "some" terrible referees. Not all - but there are some. I will not change my opinion.

And - No, I don't want your job. You just do what you do (in good faith) - and I'll do what I do.