Weekly Carter Co. --- Top 5

osubrutus

Darth Smith, again you make a pointless point. Sure teams have other players that are needed. The ones you mentioned, Canter for Happy Valley, Oliver for Hampon, Taylor for Unaka (hows that Sportiemom), but without the ones mentioned in the prior post those teams probably wouldn't make it out of the district or region.

Now Smith you know Lunsford is the mvp of the team. Yes, Banner is a good player, but who does the team depend on for the big shot? Not sure Banner is the best defensive player on that team either. She has improved in that area a lot, but the best? Not sure.

I'm even going to disagree with Osu, I thought all games meant something. If not then why play? Must look at all games to see who stands on top.

As far as being a Cyclone alumni, think Cyclonefan might disagree.

And final, what kind of cheese do you have? I'm very fond of cheese. Bet they make some good cheese and even make some of their own "whine" up in the mountains.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no it don't mean nothing in feb but when records are nearly identical then head to head has to factor. without me spilling the beans, i doubt if screenandroll attends five cloudland games in a season. therefore, you don't have a clue who does, what unless you watch.. the same can be said for all the other county teams.

you fellows just throw out names from what you've heard or maybe seen at one time or other.

may the dickie v's of carter county girls baskettball on coach t keep posting. your interest in this matter is absoutely amazing

but i will say that all of the carter county teams could hammer db on any given day. should have been a cyclone

Edited by Sunny Smith

Darth, what do you mean by "it don't mean nothing in Feb"? Are you saying the tournament games aren't important? Just wondering.

I was taking your word on some of the things about Cloudland, is that a mistake? I do watch about 5 or so games a season, as I probably do with each team (haven't done that with Hampton). I do rely on trustworthy information from Krich, Cyclone, Highlander and many of the others. Where do you get yours from about the other teams? Guess you watch all the games.

You can't just look at records, each team doesn't play the same schedule, some are loaded with cupcakes and Highlander doesn't like it when I talk about it so I won't. You must look at common opponents and head to head games.

Now, wish I made the money dickie v does for giving his opionion. I give mine for free, and come to think about it, you post on here so that must make you a dickie v also. Welcome to the club.

Which db team are you talking about? Gray or Kingsport?

Keep posting, ole great Sunny. I await for your interstellar relpy.

Almost forgot, you got beans and cheese, one lucky dud, I mean dude.

Now S&R,

You and I agree that playing Providence and Tri-Cities aren't going to teach our girls much. I don't dislike your comments there, and I believe I have publicly agreed with them. The "a win is a win" attitide is not mine. I agree with the Great Pat Summitt that you play the toughest schedule possible in order to get better. However, I did point out that it wasn't the girls that necessarily scheduled those four games.

I will say that at this point in the season, it is a little nice to have a game to play and be able to give a break to some of the lightly injured and tired players. I don't recall who said that, OSU maybe?

And Sunny, I have to tell you, don't dwell on what happened last month, or for that matter last night. Yes, Cloudland easily handled the Cyclones. I wasn't impressed at all with the touted inside play from Elizabethton, but I was very impressed with Crapps and Bush. That is in the past, maybe Pet had a couple of bad games, I've only seen her play three this year. Who knows what would happen if they played today? Friend, you and I agree on our beloved 'Landers. Just got to live in the future, not the past. Don't tweak peoples noses with a big win. Act like you expected it, have done it in the past, and are going to do it again in the future. They take you more seriously that way.

The Highlander

Highlander,

Thanks for pointing out the worth of Marti Bush. She and Kayla Hill of Unicoi County may neither make anyone's All State team, but their contributions, since Game-One, have been tremendous. Both are giving up a few inches night in and out; but both nearly always make Winning plays: the steal, box-out, rebound. And Marti is tremendous on the free-throw line.

And though I have Cloudland at number one, I wouldn't bet the light bill on any team against the other. And incidentally, the Elizabethton Sweep over the Lady Highlander Sweepers is a pretty resounding statement on behalf of the Lady Cyclones. But I just can't let 17 and Fan have their way; not yet! They might call it a season (like 17 did after EHS's win over Greeneville last season), and declare the Lady Cyclones the Champions. :thumb:

I'm even going to disagree with Osu, I thought all games meant something. If not then why play?

You play games to prepare for the February games. Regardless of your record 30-0 or 0-30, you win in the tournaments, you stay ! Period! And if the 30-0 , team loses in most Districts they go home 30-1 and bellyache about the refs, coaches, etc... So realistically, all games played before the tournaments mean nothing. They are for experience for the players, corrections for the coaches and money for the program.

"Newsflash, Pop!" (OK, so I stole that one from "The Wedding Singer.")

ALL GAMES MEAN A LOT! And only the most egocentric of fans, or coaches could possibly fail to learn that lesson early on.

I refer you, sir, to the early-teen that couldn't wait till the "next game," because "Coach" would let him "listen to his CDs" on the way to the games. "He even let me sit up front" while the "good" players sat in back! Dad, Coach "D" is soooo cool!"

Ain't that right, tough guy. :)

When the "February" games truly do become the only ones that matter, we've reached a new low.

Osu, I,m going to have to agree with Krich (again), These games do matter, If not then why do they keep records, why not just scrimmage 20 games and start the tournaments. Sure the tournaments are a new season and the teams are back to even, but does that mean we forget about what has happened? Let me ask you this, from what I read you used to be a coach, did you ever win the conference or league? If so, did you make a banner that said conference champions, a tee shirt maybe or something that recognized this accomplishment? Well I've seen many conference championship banners so they at least much mean something.

I also believe I would rather be 30 - 0 going into the tournament full of confidence than 0 - 30 without any.

(between you and me osu, I do understand what you are saying, just not to the point that you have drawn it to)

Osu, I,m going to have to agree with Krich (again), These games do matter, If not then why do they keep records, why not just scrimmage 20 games and start the tournaments. Sure the tournaments are a new season and the teams are back to even, but does that mean we forget about what has happened? Let me ask you this, from what I read you used to be a coach, did you ever win the conference or league? If so, did you make a banner that said conference champions, a tee shirt maybe or something that recognized this accomplishment? Well I've seen many conference championship banners so they at least much mean something.

I also believe I would rather be 30 - 0 going into the tournament full of confidence than 0 - 30 without any.

(between you and me osu, I do understand what you are saying, just not to the point that you have drawn it to)

I know you get the point. Check Sports Edit Post for Soap box preaching from Rev. Brutus.

osu I agree that our county has five pretty darn good teams this year. All have real good shots to make regional semifinal games.

As for the schedule, EHS boys play TN High at home on 2/14 while the girls are on the road at Central that night.

I hope you are right about EHS's games this week.

I'm almost sure that 4 teams (the three 1A teams and Elizabethton) WILL make the Region Semis, and 3 (obviosly, 2 of the 1A teams and Elizabethton) will make substate. District 2A is SO weak its not even funny. And I personaly think Elizabethton is on cruse control right now, but when a big game comes, they'll be ready. Don't know about how Happy Valley will do, 'cause I don't know much about District 2AA except GP is good and Cumberland Gap is real good.

Rangerbook, we cyclone fans appreciate your confidence in our team, but let me tell you there are some real good teams in District 2AA, and four teams in District 1AA nobody will want to play in late February (HV,Unicoi, S. Greene, EHS). This year, Pigeon Forge, despite losing SG and CD from their District, and coming off a substate appearance, will have to fight to make the Regional. The big three this year in District 2AA are Claiborne Co.(undefeated) Cumberland Gap, and Gatlinburg Pittman. Ask HV about Claiborne. They played in the Tn High tournament and Claiborne won by 14. This years' Region 1AA tournament will be a dogfight.