Weekly Carter Co. --- Top 5

osubrutus

1. Cloudland (18-4) Beat Unaka; Beat Providence Academy; Still cruising right along, took Single A control with win over Unaka; Hope they haven't peaked too early? Nothing will challenge them this week; Play at UH and Tri-Cities at home.

1.5. Elizabethton (19-3) Beat hapless North; Big win at South Greene; Two easy games and then Tennessee High; seem to be finding different options as the season goes on;Play at Chucky Doak, Play West Greene at home and at Tennessee High.

3. Unaka (11-7) Lost to Cloudland; Beat UH; Seems like the youg pups first Cloudland game scared them a bit, but TB being afraid to shhoot come on; Play at Cosby (a peek into the other District) and at home against Johnson Co..

3. Happy Valley (13-7) Beat Johnson Co.; Beat Chucky Doak; Not as easy as predicted; Play at North and at home for a big game with South Greene.

5. Hampton (9-9) Beat UH; Beat Johnson Co and won big at North Greene; Now they have proved they can beat North Greene, should give enough confidence against Unaka and Cloudland. Play at Chucky Doak and that's it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope nothing will challenge the 'Landers this week. But the UH game in Roan Mountain showed the Jr. Bucs will not just roll over, particularly playing at Brooks Gym. And this will be the first trip to Brooks for our freshman.

I will not even mention the Tri-Cities Christian game in Roan Mountain. Screenandroll and I agree on those games.

However, I think we have seen that no team should be taking any other team for granted!

The Highlander

First of all, osubrutus, I must correct you on a couple items. EHS has a tough game tuesday at CD. The same CD that took HV to OT on Warrior Hill friday. CD on the road is not an "easy" game. And the game friday against West Greene, well Unicoi can tell you how "easy" their game against WG was last friday night. Cyclones better not be looking ahead or they will get beat. And finally, unless Unicoi has changed its name to Tennessee High, the big game you are referring to is when Unicoi comes to Treadway gymnasium tuesday week, 1/31. I wish we did play TN High this year. We blew our only chance when we lost to Collierville in TN Highs tournament. The boys play them at home the last game of the season but that night the girls are on the road at Sullivan Central. Go figure.

My top 5:

1. EHS

1. Cloudland

3. HV

4. Unaka

5. Hampton

Osu, how can you put Unaka and Happy Valley tied for third? Happy Valley did beat them just a few weeks ago. You gave Cloudland the edge over Elizabethton, and why was this? Maybe because Cloudland beat Elizabethton. Should mean something. Just wondering what you are thinking?

1 Elizabethton

1 Cloudland

3 Happy Valley

4 Unaka

5 Hampton

and yes each game gets tougher as the season goes on. Players are having to play through little injuries, physical fatigue and mental fatigue. So even more so now the underdogs have a little better chance of sneaking up on someone.

hey screen and skoll

1. cloudland highlanders 39 elizabethton 30 it was settled on a netural court head to head sorry city slickers, those country girls proved it on the floor, the way it should be determined and have not done anything to lose being #1.

2 elizabethton good team but play in a conference of weak teams. winning by a whisker will come back to haunt you at tournaments.

3. hampton playing at the top of their game most improved team

4. happy valley just pray that williams don't go down

5. unaka starting to play well excellent coach

keep on the sunnyside

Edited by Sunny Smith

sunny against my better judgment Im going to reply to your post.

1. Can you say South Greene. I think that loss was at home just a couple weeks ago.

2. Say South Greene again. Now slowly say Unicoi. If we are in a weak conference then what does that make your team and its conference. Your beloved Landers have lost three games to our weak conference. I do agree that EHS has been cutting it pretty close. However, winning those close games can help you in the post-season.

3. You again defy your own logic. HV beat Hampton head to head, yet the Dogs get the position. Oh I get it, weak conference logic again? Or is it because Hampton is geographically close to Cloudland which makes them obviously a better team?

Your comments in 4 and 5 I dont really disagree with, but position wise I dont see how you can put the Dogs ahead of Unaka. Unaka beat them recently.

68-26.

Edited by CycloneFan

First of all, osubrutus, I must correct you on a couple items. EHS has a tough game tuesday at CD. The same CD that took HV to OT on Warrior Hill friday. CD on the road is not an "easy" game. And the game friday against West Greene, well Unicoi can tell you how "easy" their game against WG was last friday night. Cyclones better not be looking ahead or they will get beat. And finally, unless Unicoi has changed its name to Tennessee High, the big game you are referring to is when Unicoi comes to Treadway gymnasium tuesday week, 1/31. I wish we did play TN High this year. We blew our only chance when we lost to Collierville in TN Highs tournament. The boys play them at home the last game of the season but that night the girls are on the road at Sullivan Central. Go figure.

My top 5:

1. EHS

1. Cloudland

3. HV

4. Unaka

5. Hampton

Going by the Free Take One! 2005-06 Sports Schedule. It has all of the Carter Co. teams schedules on one side and UT, ETSU, Milligan & (who knows why?) UNC schedules on the other.

Do the boys play them, it has them playing again 2/14.

I should have used the CoachT schedules!?

Can C-D stop all of EHS' height? HV has Williams. And the West Greene thing was a "moonrock thing" or something. No way they play close to you guys.

S & R Forgot the .5 for Unaka I was in a hurry as usual.

Still Carter County Basketball looks good with no one under .500!! Not many counties with 5 schools in it can say that I bet!

Sunny, I think the clouds from the dark side have taken over your thoughts. I ranked Cloudland #1 with Elizabethton. Cloudland needs to make a better showing against some quality teams to remain in that position. They can't live on that win alone to remain number 1. Elizabethton has time and time again beaten quality teams (South Greene, Happy Valley, Unicoi), while Cloudland has struggled to beat the teams they should (UH, Unaka, Hampton). Sure Happy Valley is in trouble if Williams goes down. Believe you could say the same thing about Cloudland if Lunsford goes down, same about Elizabethton if Petrowski goes down, same about Hampton if Pitman goes down and same about Unaka if Babb goes down. Each team has a vital player that would really hurt them if they were lost.

Think cyclonefan answered the other parts of your rankings. So Darth Smith, I mean Sunny Smith I know there is still some good thoughts in you. You must let them come out. May the wise be with you.

in games that mean something

conference undefeated

verses your beloved cyclones 39-30

they just didn't beat you, they held you to 30 points. do you and all the other alumui want some cheese to go along with that whine!

in the words of the king, to be the man, you've got to beat the man whooo!

as for key players, yes lunsford and pietrowski are keys but i think both teams would suffer greatly if crapps and banner went down. crapps shoots well and compliments the other guards with her speed and shooting ability. she's a very good defensive player as proven in the unicoi game.

banner is the best rebounder, passer and defensive player on her team. she is a great shooter but more than just a scorer.

both are complete players and keys to their team

Edited by Sunny Smith

in games that mean something

conference undefeated

verses your beloved cyclones 39-30

they just didn't beat you, they held you to 30 points. do you and all the other alumui want some cheese to go along with that whine!

in the words of the king, to be the man, you've got to beat the man whooo!

as for three four and five, who cares

As an alumni, I will type. The only "games that mean something" are the ones in the middle of February!! As far as bragging rights for the county, for one night or maybe this whole year in some people's minds, Cloudland beat Elizabethton. Yipee! It won't matter to either team, if they are beaten in the District, Regional, Sub-State or State! Trust Me on this one.

But you go ahead and enjoy your euphoria while it lasts.