2006 independence team where do they stand

hazzardousman

After getting involved in this thread, I certainly have to get down to Thompson's Station and see Independence play. I wish I would have known that there was a scrimmage last Saturday. I really respect Scott Smith as a coach and as a man. To respond to HitorBeHit, never dated a dude (not my style), but I played some WR for Coach Smith at Antioch right before he went to E-H, and I've always admired the time he puts in to his profession. He's always been on that cutting edge of innovative coaching and hasn't been scared to push the envelope. Tennessee needs more coaches like that. Without ever seeing them play, I would guess that they could compete for the 4th seed this season.

With quotes like that....You are welcome anytime to come support Coach Smith and the Independence Eagles. The Tailgate Party thrown by the IHS TD Club before each game is second to none.

You are right about Coach Smith working hard to be on the cutting edge and not afraid to push the envelope. I see his whole staff doing the same. Things are beginning to look brighter at IHS. Growth is taking place and it is a good time to get involved to be a fan of the Eagles.

According to the IHS football website, Summer scrimmages will be against:

August 4 at Glencliff 5:30 PM

August 11 At Kenwood 6:00 PM

BTW, their website is full of great information about the team.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm glad coach smith is cocky about something b/c when he left ezell he had no hope in that team, only some in a few players and those were the players that didnt peak. he thinks hes great b/c he won 1 state title in 1a. he likes to pass which dont cut it in 5a. i dont see independence making it to far . but they do have ther best line coach in the state. they might stand good b/c their line will be ready. but the head coach's head is the size of a truck. it'll go down after some 5a beatens. but good luck to independence and to coach smith drop by and see that there are 3 division1 football players at ezell that you had no hope in.

Anyone that knows anything knows that coach smith left Ezell-harding because he had to, no one is allowed to remain on staff if they get a divorce, smith was no exception...he loved his time there and all of his players.....Trump, schlappi, gettis and Huff are just a few of the players he hated to leave......he also hopes that all of the division one players are taking care of their grades so college football is more than just a dream.....best of luck to Ezell and continued success...good players are much better than good coaches

Anyone that knows anything knows that coach smith left Ezell-harding because he had to, no one is allowed to remain on staff if they get a divorce, smith was no exception...he loved his time there and all of his players.....Trump, schlappi, gettis and Huff are just a few of the players he hated to leave......he also hopes that all of the division one players are taking care of their grades so college football is more than just a dream.....best of luck to Ezell and continued success...good players are much better than good coaches

yes we know that but the players you just said ,with exception of gettis, will never has a chance of playing college football. he cannot coach a 5a football team. 5a is all about being a power house not playing 5wide. there were more than them players, but he only showed respect to the favorites. i hoped its changed at independence. but i hope he calls to keep up with us b/c he wont believe who are the guyz who will go on to player college fball. but i do hope everything turns out good at independence.

Skinnycat,

Are you serious. Ravenwood just won a 5A state championship and TC didn't take 20 snaps under center last year. Times have changed since the last time you watched a 5A football game, I suppose. Look at a school like Southlake Carroll in Texas, who wins in the highest classification, using the spread offense. Hoover, AL is another national power who throws it around too. Just because you have an axe to grind with Scott leaving Ezell (which he had to), don't go dumb and irrational to do it.

Skinnycat,

Are you serious. Ravenwood just won a 5A state championship and TC didn't take 20 snaps under center last year. Times have changed since the last time you watched a 5A football game, I suppose. Look at a school like Southlake Carroll in Texas, who wins in the highest classification, using the spread offense. Hoover, AL is another national power who throws it around too. Just because you have an axe to grind with Scott leaving Ezell (which he had to), don't go dumb and irrational to do it.

i don't have an axe with scott leaving, i have an axe with the way he left. by telling some individuals they'd maybe start their senior year when they were sophmores, and now d1 colleges are calling them . you dont tell a kid that you tell them to work hard and it will happen. he was a goood coach but the way he left sparked a fire and i hope he calls for 1 last scrimmage before this senior class graduates. and the passing, riverdale has dominated 5a many years by running not by passing. if it wasnt for 1 bad game riverdale would be holding another state title this year.

Can't win in 5A if you pass our of a spread set? Gee, Brentwood and Ravenwood both have rings that prove it wrong. Franklin has been to the championship game using it. Riverdale's talent pool proved the difference- not the offensive scheme. Need to have a running game as well, but any team that can't put the ball in the air 10-15 times or more won't get it done these days.

Germantown was the last one dimensional team that won a championship.

Spreads are effective in high school ball from an offensive standpoint because:

-most HS defensive backs are pitiful and most teams don't have 5 people who can cover receivers;

-completely wears out the defensive line who are pass rushing constantly, which is magnified if the d-line is big

-because of deep drops and worn out line, the running game has great lanes and space to run.

-is a threat to move the ball and score quickly, even if you are behind

-most defensive coaches try all out blitzes to negate this, which open up screens and quick timing routes.

Can't win in 5A if you pass our of a spread set? Gee, Brentwood and Ravenwood both have rings that prove it wrong. Franklin has been to the championship game using it. Riverdale's talent pool proved the difference- not the offensive scheme. Need to have a running game as well, but any team that can't put the ball in the air 10-15 times or more won't get it done these days.

Germantown was the last one dimensional team that won a championship.

Spreads are effective in high school ball from an offensive standpoint because:

-most HS defensive backs are pitiful and most teams don't have 5 people who can cover receivers;

-completely wears out the defensive line who are pass rushing constantly, which is magnified if the d-line is big

-because of deep drops and worn out line, the running game has great lanes and space to run.

-is a threat to move the ball and score quickly, even if you are behind

-most defensive coaches try all out blitzes to negate this, which open up screens and quick timing routes.

if im not mistakin scott smith runs the spread and a running offense and both of them have been effective for independence this spring.

Skinnycat, I guess I just don't understand your beef with Smith.

However, your assertion that it's not possible to win in 5A running his offense is completely wrong.

Look as far back as 1999. Glencliff and Sevier County were two teams that aired it out. Sure, that weren't purely passing, but there were a combined 54 passing attempts between the two teams in one of the better 5A championships in recent memory.

Not to mention everything that Fromthetop covered.

if im not mistakin scott smith runs the spread and a running offense and both of them have been effective for independence this spring.

all im saying is that riverdale has dominated 5a for a long time with a power house offense..........and usually if you control the clock you win , and passing dont control the clock.

and indyrep if its working so good why dont yall scrimmage ezell at the end of the summer, just for old times sake.

Edited by skinnycat67

No one is denying that a solid rushing attack is a very effective offense.

However, it is very ignorant to say that the spread offense cannot work in 5A. As long as the athletes are there, the spread offense will be effective.

I don't want to be redundant, but remind me who won the state championship this past year in 5A?

Don't be mistaken, Ravenwood had over 50 rushing attempts in the Championship game. The spread offense doesn't always have to be passing. Spreading the defense out creates more holes, and the deep threat forces the corners to respect the pass. That's all I'm saying.

It can work. You have to concede that.

No one is denying that a solid rushing attack is a very effective offense.

However, it is very ignorant to say that the spread offense cannot work in 5A. As long as the athletes are there, the spread offense will be effective.

I don't want to be redundant, but remind me who won the state championship this past year in 5A?

Don't be mistaken, Ravenwood had over 50 rushing attempts in the Championship game. The spread offense doesn't always have to be passing. Spreading the defense out creates more holes, and the deep threat forces the corners to respect the pass. That's all I'm saying.

It can work. You have to concede that.

running the spread isnt bad BUT my point is scott doesnt like to run out of it either , its live and die by the pass. i mean at ezell he had the best runnning back in 2a (atwone owens) and he didnt even make it to a thousand yards b/c he didnt wanna run him . scott played cpa in the final 4 ,1 year and it rained rained and rained and he kept passing with a great running back . they lost and owens barely had any yards. but almost no carries. you cant win in 5a like that.