KIL Tournament

GrandGoody76

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Rcpatriot i will talk to coach before i post anything so well im goin to go talk to him right now be back on in a min

I talked to coach pittman and we decided that the only thing that i will release is my record wich is 51-3 thanks to everyone that has helped me with my wrestling

Goddy ill see you at regions good luck talk to you later

Edited by Gibbswrestlin189Prescott

Besola, Reveiz lead Ads’ KIL ‘multi-peat’

4253.jpg

Led by KIL individual champs Nick Reveiz (standing, holding KIL team title plaque), Brandon Besola (kneeling, second from left), head coach Joe Knox (standing far right), and assistant coach Lee Cottrell (standing, far left) FHS wrestlers enjoy winni- Alan Sloan/farragutpress

Brandon Besola is the latest in a long line of Farragut High School wrestlers to hit the jackpot in a major tournament. A senior wrestling in his first full season at the high school level, Besola won the KIL 171-pound class championship Saturday, Jan. 28, at Webb School by pinning Gibbs’ Donald Zachery (22-10 record) just 52 seconds into the match.

First praising his team for winning yet another KIL title, Besola added, “This is a great win for me. I needed something like this. This is my highlight. This is great.”

A standout linebacker with the FHS football team, Besola (16-8 record) credits his quick rise to wrestling success to “great coaching and hard practices,” led by FHS head coach Joe Knox and assistant Lee Cottrell.

“At the beginning of the season I was a little bit timid, I was more offensive, I would shoot in a lot,” Besola said. “Now I’ve gone to head locks and throwing a lot more, trying to use my lower body strength to throw people.”

Knox said about Besola, “He’s coming on, things are starting to click.”

As KIL champs, Besola and Nick Reveiz, the state top-ranked Division I (public school) wrestler at 215 (25-0 record) and defending state champ, led the way as the Admirals continue a long streak of KIL team titles.

Letting two words tell it all about Nick Reveiz, Knox said the senior “did great.”

Holding off second-place Karns 174.50 to 145, Farragut was also led by KIL runner-ups Daniel Turner (19-9 record at 119), A.J. Farinella (34-7 record at 125) and Shane Reveiz (36-6 record at 189). Shane Reveiz’s 3-0 loss to Remington Prescott of Gibbs was named “Best Match.”

Turner lost in a second period pin to Webb’s Thomas Sherbakoff, defending KIL champ and a three-time Division II (private school) state placer.

“I should have done better, I just got [over] the flu,” Turner said. “I was feeling pretty crappy. But considering that, I did really good.”

Knox said Farinella “did a good job” and predicted a Region 2 rematch between his FHS sophomore and Cole Geren of South Doyle, who beat Farinella 12-5 in the KIL finals.

Admiral senior heavyweight Brandon Lazarus finished third, his highest tourney finish this season.

“I’m happy with third,” said Lazarus, an All-Region 2-5A offensive lineman in football. “I believe I’m getting a lot better. My conditioning’s a little bit better than it was.”

Knox said Lazarus “did a great job, he’s really coming on. He had some big pins.”

Farragut’s Lee Travis (152) and Lawton Johnson (145) both earned their way to the consolation finals, then won third-place based on coin tosses.

Both Travis and Johnson’s scheduled consolation final opponent, Colby Hall of Powell, had already wrestled a TSSAA mandated maximum of five times in one day, leaving the consolation match decisions up to a coin toss.

FHS senior Spencer Grieco (140) and freshman Kevin Mann (103) each took fourth.

Edited by MasterBlaster 1