Cumberland County High School

lovethegame12

I am currently a varsity girls basketball coach in Virginia and saw where Cumberland County has two girls basketball openings available. I also see where the program is having an excellent year.

Would anyone be willing to provide insight on the county school system, the school, teacher salaries, coaching supplements, the history of the program, and if the coaching positions are still open?

I have always wanted to coach basketball in Tennessee and would like to gain insight from citizens and fans in Tennessee regarding these openings.

Thank you so much.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently a varsity girls basketball coach in Virginia and saw where Cumberland County has two girls basketball openings available. I also see where the program is having an excellent year.

Would anyone be willing to provide insight on the county school system, the school, teacher salaries, coaching supplements, the history of the program, and if the coaching positions are still open?

I have always wanted to coach basketball in Tennessee and would like to gain insight from citizens and fans in Tennessee regarding these openings.

Thank you so much.

I go to CCHS and I'm a senior and I can't tell you much about salaries and stuff like that but I can tell ya some stuff about the program. They're opening a new school next year and Coach Smith, who is coaching CCHS now, is going there so there is a vacancy at CCHS. The past two years have been great years for our girls. This year they have 3 losses and we're ranked 1st in the state. They're making a lot of changes next year for both schools but I don't know all the details. They're also splitting the schools equally, but the next years seniors are going to have a choice of which school they want to go to. Underclassman are going to forced to go to the school they're zoned for. There's a few things about program and some things like that.

Thank you for the information. Does the program have a rich tradition of basketball? What is the feeling around the community regarding a new school and split of CCHS?

We love sports in Cumberland County. The school split may be difficult, especially for the people that grew up here. I can tell you this, CCHS has an excellent new Principal. Her name is Janet Graham, she will be taking over at CCHS on Monday the 30th. I am sure she would be able to answer your questions on salary, etc. I know sports and academics are very important to her. The new football coach has also been hired. I know he is very excited about the opportunity and was well received by the everyone. I think we as a community are open to NEW coaches. CCHS is a great school and Cumberland County is a excellent place to live. As for the girls team they are doing well this year. Lots of up and coming talent too. As far as I know there have not been any coaches hired yet. Best of Luck!

Thanks for the information. From all the research I have done online, Cumberland County and Crossville seems to be a nice area. You had mentioned the split of schools, how will that effect the feeder basketball programs for both schools?

We recently had a community split into two schools and all the talent goes to the newer school. Would you expect something like this to happen or can both schools be successful in building programs?

Thanks for the information. From all the research I have done online, Cumberland County and Crossville seems to be a nice area. You had mentioned the split of schools, how will that effect the feeder basketball programs for both schools?

We recently had a community split into two schools and all the talent goes to the newer school. Would you expect something like this to happen or can both schools be successful in building programs?

The split it suppose to be equal. I don't know about that. The thing is that we will have strick zoning. The kids that attend the stronger elementary schools are not always zoned from those schools. I can tell you that there are historically 2 really strong elementary girls programs. One school is zoned for each high school. If that helps. I can also tell you that we will still be supporting CCHS and are happy to be doing so. I think success is only limited by the people who run the program and I can tell you everyone at CCHS plans on being successful.

Cumberland County is very serious about athletics. I was very impressed with their fastpitch park. The facilities were much better than what Tennessee used for its State Tournament the last few seasons. A school split is tough because the old schoolers in small towns have such a problem with change and they would die for their old high schools. The split in Bradley County with the addition of Walker Valley has been a very touchy subject. However, the zones are only important if you need to ride the bus in Bradley County. The people at Walker Valley are very thankful for the school while the old school Bears detest even the mention of its name. Bradley has lost some athletes to Walker Valley but they are still great in some sports and still competetive in all the others. However, they have a hard time giving Walker Valley their due on anything. They hold the advantage with the middle school feeders and they still are not satisfied. They get nearly all the students from Lake Forest and probably 2/5 of the Ocoee kids. There are still a lot of Bradley loyalists that teach and coach at Ocoee and their influence is quite obvious. Best of luck with the job search. You would be fortunate to land a job in Cumberland County.

The split sounds very familiar to the one that has taken place in South Roanoke County, VA with the new school, Hidden Valley High. It has torn that community apart and has created a huge rivalry all the way down to the recreational leagues.

From everything I have gathered, Cumberland is an excellent place to live and takes pride with its athletic program. This has to be a position with a tremendous amount of interest especially for those who love girls basketball.

Cumberland must be awful good this season. Are they normally competitive year in and year out?

I go to CCHS and I'm a senior and I can't tell you much about salaries and stuff like that but I can tell ya some stuff about the program. They're opening a new school next year and Coach Smith, who is coaching CCHS now, is going there so there is a vacancy at CCHS. The past two years have been great years for our girls. This year they have 3 losses and we're ranked 1st in the state. They're making a lot of changes next year for both schools but I don't know all the details. They're also splitting the schools equally, but the next years seniors are going to have a choice of which school they want to go to. Underclassman are going to forced to go to the school they're zoned for. There's a few things about program and some things like that.

Is it fact or rumor about Tim Smith leaving CCHS for Stone Memorial?

Cumberland County is very serious about athletics. I was very impressed with their fastpitch park. The facilities were much better than what Tennessee used for its State Tournament the last few seasons. A school split is tough because the old schoolers in small towns have such a problem with change and they would die for their old high schools. The split in Bradley County with the addition of Walker Valley has been a very touchy subject. However, the zones are only important if you need to ride the bus in Bradley County. The people at Walker Valley are very thankful for the school while the old school Bears detest even the mention of its name. Bradley has lost some athletes to Walker Valley but they are still great in some sports and still competetive in all the others. However, they have a hard time giving Walker Valley their due on anything. They hold the advantage with the middle school feeders and they still are not satisfied. They get nearly all the students from Lake Forest and probably 2/5 of the Ocoee kids. There are still a lot of Bradley loyalists that teach and coach at Ocoee and their influence is quite obvious. Best of luck with the job search. You would be fortunate to land a job in Cumberland County.

And you forgot to mention that there are also WV loyalists that teach and coach at Ocoee (which for the record used to be called Bradley Jr. High) and their influence is also quite obvious.