Whatever a Coach is....humiliation of players is not part of it

shagnasty

As a teacher , I have always loathed humiliating a student as a way of getting a point across. It tends to do the very opposite of what the perpetrator is trying to accomplish by totally destroying confidence, as well as self esteem. For some people it may spur a sense of defiant determination. But for most, especially teens, it can have devastating consequences.

I saw a post on here recently about what a coach is. And I was inspired by some of the answers. One in particular said (to paraphrase) that a coach was a person who was a dog when the team loses and a hero when they win. I also realize that a coach has a burden to carry that most teachers would shun from. There are all the parents, arm chair coaches, and players who think they should be playing. There is also the natural jealousy of the actuve players themselves. Ill admit, its not an easy job for the faint hearted.

But there are lines that a coach or teacher must not cross as professionals. And one of those lines is the humiliation of a player or student. I have personally seen this happen on several occassions. On on occassion one of the girls coaches confronted a player about a bad grade on a homework paper (not a major test), in front of the rest of the players, namimg her by name. In another instance, the head coach of the boys team forced seniors and juniors who were previously starting to play in a JV game, without announcement. I could go on and on.

My sense of right and wrong tells me that instances such as this are totally unnecessary and WRONG. As teachers and coaches, we have the obligation to build these student up, not tear them down. We should all expect 100% from them. But this behavior on the part of adults in an authoritave position crosses the line of decency.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a teacher , I have always loathed humiliating a student as a way of getting a point across. It tends to do the very opposite of what the perpetrator is trying to accomplish by totally destroying confidence, as well as self esteem. For some people it may spur a sense of defiant determination. But for most, especially teens, it can have devastating consequences.

I saw a post on here recently about what a coach is. And I was inspired by some of the answers. One in particular said (to paraphrase) that a coach was a person who was a dog when the team loses and a hero when they win. I also realize that a coach has a burden to carry that most teachers would shun from. There are all the parents, arm chair coaches, and players who think they should be playing. There is also the natural jealousy of the actuve players themselves. Ill admit, its not an easy job for the faint hearted.

But there are lines that a coach or teacher must not cross as professionals. And one of those lines is the humiliation of a player or student. I have personally seen this happen on several occassions. On on occassion one of the girls coaches confronted a player about a bad grade on a homework paper (not a major test), in front of the rest of the players, namimg her by name. In another instance, the head coach of the boys team forced seniors and juniors who were previously starting to play in a JV game, without announcement. I could go on and on.

My sense of right and wrong tells me that instances such as this are totally unnecessary and WRONG. As teachers and coaches, we have the obligation to build these student up, not tear them down. We should all expect 100% from them. But this behavior on the part of adults in an authoritave position crosses the line of decency.

You are right. I think if coaches had children of their own and they were being coached by someone else they would realize what parents as well as the player go through. If they would only realize how much impact they can have on a kid. Build them up, don't tear them down. If they make a mistake don't yank them out. If they continue to make mistakes, take them out and explain what they are doing wrong. Don't set them on the bench and keep them out of the entire game. This type of behavior works on their confidence and then when they get in the game they are afraid to do anything, which gets them pulled again.

You are right. I think if coaches had children of their own and they were being coached by someone else they would realize what parents as well as the player go through. If they would only realize how much impact they can have on a kid. Build them up, don't tear them down. If they make a mistake don't yank them out. If they continue to make mistakes, take them out and explain what they are doing wrong. Don't set them on the bench and keep them out of the entire game. This type of behavior works on their confidence and then when they get in the game they are afraid to do anything, which gets them pulled again.

I am a parent, but I always thought that the object of the game is to win. It it is not, then I say play all the players and have a good time losing. Get real! The poor coach must try to win or else he may lose his job. Quit griping and support the program. If your son makes a bunch of turnovers, he deserves to be taken out, period! Support the program, not just your baby!

Tell The Truth (great username), winning is certainly part of the equation but as a parent let me ask you this: Are you more concerned that your child gets a good grade in their classes or that they learn the subject being taught? If your child was jerked out of class or publicly humiliated by the teacher for every wrong answer they gave in class would you simply accept it and say nothing? What if by the middle of the semester your child had given too many unacceptable answers that his teacher decided to give up on him and quit teaching him anymore but did continue teaching some of his classmates? Would you so easily support and accept it for the good of the class (team)?

Actually, at most HS programs, the players do receive a letter grade from the coach/teacher. I have yet to hear of a coach that gave anything but A's (100) to every player--regardless of how they were playing. So it would appear that the school and state recognize it as a teacher/student learning activity.

I am a parent, but I always thought that the object of the game is to win. It it is not, then I say play all the players and have a good time losing. Get real! The poor coach must try to win or else he may lose his job. Quit griping and support the program. If your son makes a bunch of turnovers, he deserves to be taken out, period! Support the program, not just your baby!

You don't have to win at York to keep your job!!! :)

Excellent post, I hope a certain girls coach in district 12A reads this

Tell The Truth (great username), winning is certainly part of the equation but as a parent let me ask you this: Are you more concerned that your child gets a good grade in their classes or that they learn the subject being taught? If your child was jerked out of class or publicly humiliated by the teacher for every wrong answer they gave in class would you simply accept it and say nothing? What if by the middle of the semester your child had given too many unacceptable answers that his teacher decided to give up on him and quit teaching him anymore but did continue teaching some of his classmates? Would you so easily support and accept it for the good of the class (team)?

There is a huge difference in learning in class and learning when to shoot a jump shot or a lay up. Of course you want your child to learn the intangibles that baseketball teaches, but you also want to teach your child what it feels like to succeed. Do you want your child to think that they can continually mess up in life, and still get another chance every time?

Classmates, as far as I know, aren't teammates. They can't win state championships. They don't depend on one another for success.

I definitely see where you are coming from, but I don't think that you can compare an academical class to a basketball team.

There is a huge difference in learning in class and learning when to shoot a jump shot or a lay up. Of course you want your child to learn the intangibles that baseketball teaches, but you also want to teach your child what it feels like to succeed. Do you want your child to think that they can continually mess up in life, and still get another chance every time?

Classmates, as far as I know, aren't teammates. They can't win state championships. They don't depend on one another for success.

I definitely see where you are coming from, but I don't think that you can compare an academical class to a basketball team.

Fair enough. But I don't think you can compare messing up in a basketball game with messing up in life. I played basketball (and other sports) growing up too and my ability to make a lay up or a jump shot has yet to benefit me in the business world (or life in general) and neither has my failures to make a good pass or deny an opponent's shot hurt me. Of course I want my child to learn what it feels like to succeed but go read the books written about the most successful people and you will see that they also failed more times than most. I can assure you, it is those "intangibles" that are going to make the difference in their future success.

You're argument that classmates aren't teammates is valid but only because that is the prevalent model used to teach. As such, I will argue then that these kids will one day get a job with an organization that has a mission and purpose that is comparable to winning a state championship and fellow employees will be the equivalent of teammates. Would you want your organization's leadership to model that of most HS basketball coaches? If they did, how successful do you think those organizations would be? You are not going to find a successful organization that permits or allows this approach because you won't find many people, if any, that will positively respond or even tolerate it.

Guest dare_2_dream

some coaches demand a lot from their players and know what they are capable of. at times, coaches will call out their players if they arent performing up to their abilities, on and off the court. maybe the coach knows the player with the bad grade is capable of much better and is trying to make her mad so she will go out and prove the coach wrong on the next assignment. you never know what might go through their head. its like my former coach once told me, "if im on you, you know i care for you ... when i dont say anything to you is when you should worry"

some coaches demand a lot from their players and know what they are capable of. at times, coaches will call out their players if they arent performing up to their abilities, on and off the court. maybe the coach knows the player with the bad grade is capable of much better and is trying to make her mad so she will go out and prove the coach wrong on the next assignment. you never know what might go through their head. its like my former coach once told me, "if im on you, you know i care for you ... when i dont say anything to you is when you should worry"

I agree whole heartly! Anytime a player or student is trying to do his/her best, and is following a strict set of rules, he deserves 100% support from the coach or teacher.

When he is not performing due to lack of effort, intervention is necessary. How do you go about getting his attention? It depends on the personality of the kid.

I am a self confident person. I was as a child. A teacher or coach could get all over me, and it wouldn't hurt my precious little feelings. It would just make me angry enough to become determined to "show him".

I have seen boys and girls go into despair over comments that seemed perfectly routine to me.

Don't assume that another person is being humiliated because you wouldn't want to be approaced in such a manner. For us thick skinned variety, it's harder to humiliate us than you can imagine, if you are one who carries you feelings next to the surface.

Some kids need a slight nudge, while others require a swift kick in the pants. Coaches and teachers have to try to determine which is needed, and administer as required. Sometimes you will be wrong, so I suppose you should start with a nudge, and progress until desired results are accomplished.

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Tough love is not nearly as devastating as apathy and abandonment.

Edited by The Sports Guy

Nothing is worse than being publicly humiliated. And any coach or fan who doesn't realize this, and that there are other (and as effective) ways to make the point, then Don't Be A Coach!

If you'd like to start a discussion as to the "degree" that one student/athlete can "handle it" better than another; then that coach should also have his or her Master's in Psychology. In other words, it's near-impossible to determine. No coach should humiliate a player. Period! I doubt there's anything in the coach's handbook about how much to, or not to humiliate your kids. Just don't do it.

Now in the event of "technical fouls." :blink:

Edited by krichunaka