hilham vs. allons

wormy1

Congrats to the Hilham boys on their victory over Allons in the county championship game. Coach Kennard did one heck of a job. This is one time when talent did not overcome desire, hustle, and emotion. And Coach Kennard was just as emotionally fired up as the players. It is refreshing to see a coach with that much energy and passion. As for the Hawks, maybe a game they simply took for granted. When you have the X marked on your chest every game, you need to come prepared every night. The Hawks appeared unprepared. I would rate this (at least in games I can remember) as the biggest upset in Overton Co. junior high basketball. This, to me, would rank with Villanova beating G-Town, Douglas over Tyson, or USA over USSR in Olympic hockey. But, I guess that is why the games are played. After a narrow win over Rickman earlier in the year, I had a fellow I consider knowledgable in basketball tell me somebody in the county would beat Allons boys by year's end. I said "no way". I guess he knew what he was talking about unfortunately for the Hawks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have to agree that Hilham played a heck of a game!! I think Coach Kennard is a great guy & I am happy for him & all the boys that are on the team. You can't help but be happy for a team that played with that much Heart!!! Congrats on a well earned title.

I am from Allons & I am very proud of our boys..... even though this was definitely not the same Hawk team I seen play in the Boro this past weekend. No excuses Hilham was the better team last night. Out of everything that happened last night, I would have to say the most dishearting thing (other than the referring/missed calls...on both sides)was to watch all the other schools cheer against Allons & to hear adults(& it wasn't even Hilham fans) in the stands talk about our players . That was the bad part about last night. Kids have a hard enough time dealing with other kids without Adults/Parents adding to the fire. I heard people around me making comments about Kendall Melton...everytime he stole the ball...... when he would miss a shot. Off the court Kendall is a great kid & on the court he is an even better Ball player...(please don't confuse confidence with cockiness)those who are jealous of him...just wish they were him. I remember this same thing happening to Chase Dunn last year. Look how everyone taked about him & how he would ride Richard's coat tail to LA....Chase has proven himself as will Kendall when he gets to LA.

TJ, Adam & Kendall .....you will be missed. Just remember.....Everyone loves to hate you ...when your good!! We will see more from these guys @LA!

Allons will be back next year with Kalen, Hayden, Colby,Josh,Logan & all the other guys. Whether you like Allons or not.....The bottom line is.... our LA team will be strong for the next few years.....alot of talent coming Allons,Hilham,Rickman & LMS. I want to see eveyone cheering for Overton County this weekend in Springfeild!!!!

Edited by Turnadouble

Wormy1, I think you hit the nail on the head. Allons wasn't worried about Hilham and it showed. I don't know what Coach Kennard said in the Hilham locker room at halftime, but it worked. Hilham showed heart and determination can win. Congratulations on the strides made by the Hilham ball teams. Go Overton County in the TNT, we need to bring home the A, 2A, 3A state championships!

I will have to agree that Hilham played a heck of a game!! I think Coach Kennard is a great guy & I am happy for him & all the boys that are on the team. You can't help but be happy for a team that played with that much Heart!!! Congrats on a well earned title.

I am from Allons & I am very proud of our boys..... even though this was definitely not the same Hawk team I seen play in the Boro this past weekend. No excuses Hilham was the better team last night. Out of everything that happened last night, I would have to say the most dishearting thing (other than the referring/missed calls...on both sides)was to watch all the other schools cheer against Allons & to hear adults(& it wasn't even Hilham fans) in the stands talk about our players . That was the bad part about last night. Kids have a hard enough time dealing with other kids without Adults/Parents adding to the fire. I heard people around me making comments about Kendall Melton...everytime he stole the ball...... when he would miss a shot. Off the court Kendall is a great kid & on the court he is an even better Ball player...(please don't confuse confidence with cockiness)those who are jealous of him...just wish they were him. I remember this same thing happening to Chase Dunn last year. Look how everyone taked about him & how he would ride Richard's coat tail to LA....Chase has proven himself as will Kendall when he gets to LA.

TJ, Adam & Kendall .....you will be missed. Just remember.....Everyone loves to hate you ...when your good!! We will see more from these guys @LA!

Allons will be back next year with Kalen, Hayden, Colby,Josh,Logan & all the other guys. Whether you like Allons or not.....The bottom line is.... our LA team will be strong for the next few years.....alot of talent coming Allons,Hilham,Rickman & LMS. I want to see eveyone cheering for Overton County this weekend in Springfeild!!!!

The negative talk about a kid whether it be about Kendall Melton or whoever that comes from adults is definitely not good. But, all the other schools cheering against Allons (in my opinion) was just being for the underdog. I don't know that is was a direct slam on Allons(maybe to a certain extent). I would venture to say that just about everyone has heard the old saying "it is lonely at the top." The crowd was feeding off the energy and effort exerted by Hilham's players as well as their coach. I would have to think if I played for Allons, seeing so many people rooting for the other team would be the ultimate motivator. But, it appeared that the Hawks played the game in kind of a matter of fact state of mind. Secondly, if you are a member of the Hawks watching the crowd, especially those not from Hilham, yell so loudly against you is basically paying you a compliment. When you are the measuring stick for boys grade school basketball in this county, your opponents will bring their A game every night. Everybody wants to knock the best off their pedestal. As I said in my earlier post, no matter how good you are you have to be ready to play every night. Maybe this will be a good life lesson for the boys. No matter how good you are (and the Hawks are good) you can't take anything for granted. It was bitter pill to swallow for the Hawks, but whether in sports or in life in general I'm sure it won't be the last one.

The negative talk about a kid whether it be about Kendall Melton or whoever that comes from adults is definitely not good. But, all the other schools cheering against Allons (in my opinion) was just being for the underdog. I don't know that is was a direct slam on Allons(maybe to a certain extent). I would venture to say that just about everyone has heard the old saying "it is lonely at the top." The crowd was feeding off the energy and effort exerted by Hilham's players as well as their coach. I would have to think if I played for Allons, seeing so many people rooting for the other team would be the ultimate motivator. But, it appeared that the Hawks played the game in kind of a matter of fact state of mind. Secondly, if you are a member of the Hawks watching the crowd, especially those not from Hilham, yell so loudly against you is basically paying you a compliment. When you are the measuring stick for boys grade school basketball in this county, your opponents will bring their A game every night. Everybody wants to knock the best off their pedestal. As I said in my earlier post, no matter how good you are you have to be ready to play every night. Maybe this will be a good life lesson for the boys. No matter how good you are (and the Hawks are good) you can't take anything for granted. It was bitter pill to swallow for the Hawks, but whether in sports or in life in general I'm sure it won't be the last one.

Your right...it should motivate the kids to play harder(everyone yelling against them).That is what the fans are there for. Everyone is there to support their team. To be honest I really don't think the crowd affected our team....I have seen them play harder with a larger crowd. I don't feel like Allons took Hilham for granted...I have heard our boys talk about how good Hilham is this year(Ward can handle the ball & Trevathan is a major factor on the inside). The fact is Allons didn't have their best game & Hilham did. About what I said before about the comments I heard in the stands.....I normally don't pay attention to who yeels & who doesn't but when you hear adults/parents talk about kids that is as bad as it gets in my book.

Hilham had a great game...that is what it looks like to play as a team & have fun. Nate has done well with those boys. Good way to end a grade school career!! It would be even better if Hilham won STATE!!

Allons had a great run this year....... our boys deserve alot of credit. Adam has made some big plays for us..... Rebounds, Blocks & all of those fast breaks. TJ Smith...where do I begin...He has been the most consistent shooter & rebounder on the team. All around great kid!! Kendall...great ball handler & he's a playmaker...he just needs to keep doing what he's doing. All of the other guys will be back next year....look out for the Kalen Melton & Hayden Hill!!! I hope Allons finish good....they need to bring home the gold too!!!!

One more thing I failed to mention as for cockiness to me a kid has to have a certain amount cockiness to be good. Confidence is sometimes misperceived as cockiness.

I could not agree more!

Your right...it should motivate the kids to play harder(everyone yelling against them).That is what the fans are there for. Everyone is there to support their team. To be honest I really don't think the crowd affected our team....I have seen them play harder with a larger crowd. I don't feel like Allons took Hilham for granted...I have heard our boys talk about how good Hilham is this year(Ward can handle the ball & Trevathan is a major factor on the inside). The fact is Allons didn't have their best game & Hilham did. About what I said before about the comments I heard in the stands.....I normally don't pay attention to who yeels & who doesn't but when you hear adults/parents talk about kids that is as bad as it gets in my book.

Hilham had a great game...that is what it looks like to play as a team & have fun. Nate has done well with those boys. Good way to end a grade school career!! It would be even better if Hilham won STATE!!

Allons had a great run this year....... our boys deserve alot of credit. Adam has made some big plays for us..... Rebounds, Blocks & all of those fast breaks. TJ Smith...where do I begin...He has been the most consistent shooter & rebounder on the team. All around great kid!! Kendall...great ball handler & he's a playmaker...he just needs to keep doing what he's doing. All of the other guys will be back next year....look out for the Kalen Melton & Hayden Hill!!! I hope Allons finish good....they need to bring home the gold too!!!!

I could not agree more!

Good post.

I could not agree more!

Hello, It is John Trevathan for the Hilham Tigers I just wanted to say thank you for your congradulations, I appreciate that we have finally earned respect from other people rather then just being told," Aww, It's just Hilham, Nothinbg to worry about." Hearing things from the crowd must be a bad thing Kendall Melton is a good player and I hope Allons does great in 2A TNT State Tournament. I know what you mean by the intensive crowd that was there monday i hearded everyone cheering for us but Allons did make a great effort in a long run I'm just glad that maybe someday all of us from Allons,Hilham,Rickman,LMS,and Wilson can play for Richard Melton next year. I look forward to playing with them on the same team and getting to know them better as players and as how they act off the court. Thank You again i cant even start to say thank you to everyone for all the congradulations, Thank You

I'm with you Bobcat! What about those HILHAM TIGERS!! Most of Overton County is extemely proud for the Boys and Coach K.(with the exception of fans,parents and coaches from Carr/Dial Elementary). The look on their faces after the game was "PRICELESS". They were in "SHOCK". These victories by the Rickman Girls and Hilham Boys is the beginning of the end for the Hold'em back stragedies we have all witnessed over the last few years on the mounain.