Sports Trophies

rebelgirl

I have a question for principals and coaches. Has anyone ever heard of a high school or a junior high school auction off most of its sports trophies (and I am talking about district and conference championship trophies) to the highest bidder? Is this something that is common or a new trend or what? Here in Manchester the administration at our junior high school attempted to do just that. Thankfully they were stopped just in the nick of time. Is that kind of like selling your heritage, or your soul?

Rebelgirl,

I have never heard of such disrespect in my life! :thumb: You've got to be kidding? An administrator wants to get rid of the awards the school has earned? I am speachless. For what reason is he wanting to sell the school's legacy? Who IS this guy or gal? And how did he or she land any type of administrator job?The players and coaches put hours and hours of hard-core effort and determination in to represent the school and earn those trophies. That is the most heartless thing I have ever of in all of my time. More details please.....

lady_dunn, you are quite correct. A local middle school principal in our part of the state threw away the older trophies from his school and what an uproar. They called for his hide and he had to reimburse the school for what it might cost to replace them.

If a school is running out space, old trophies should be properly catalogued and stored. State trophies regardless how old should be on display to demonstrate a schools history and tradition.

Its an individual decision at every school how to properly handle it, but it should be with respect and where people can have access to it. We have been known to break out the old trophies for reunions and WOW you should see the faces of older generations who represented their school well and proudly 40, 50, and 60 years ago.

Educators and young athletes better realize that todays achievements are just old footnotes in a few years. By respecting our past athletic history it helps to insure that our present accomplishments will be preserved in the future.

Edited by noonesfool