Waverly 04-05 Better Than Sycamore 05-06

papatiger

Guest catfish-hunter

For most of the year we had a straight sal at least....still that year we played a lot tougher teams through the year and still got 20+ wins....but we still woulda beat todays shs and whs

I ain't saying you wouldn't. That Sycamore team had two dominating presences inside in Brian Vann and Logan Pierce. Sal (when straight) was a very good manager of the game. Watts, Adam Tinch, Randy True, Rives, and Barksdale were all good ballhandlers who could knock down the outside jumpshot.

The only time I saw that Sycamore team lose to a better team was their loss at Giles Co. in the Regional Final. Giles Co. that year lost only once (Columbia Central) to a team that they later beat. They won the Class AA Championship and were probably as deep and talented as any basketball team that this state has ever seen. They were in a word GREAT!!!!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you know who i am RL, father or RL. Probably because im at every game, supportin Waverly. And you see me every game, and i post on Every game. But yes, Waverly was a great team, and ye is better than Sycamore of last year. Could beat any team out of this district this year. Ricco, Ryan, Curtis, DJ, Jonathon, Reeder, Lee, Forester, Tidwell. All very tremendous players, and great guys on and off court. As far as (RL) getting more playing time, i dont think is an issue, he hustled every time he was on court and might adeserved plenty, but i want to know who your source as about coach k being scared to sub in and out. Even though we will never know who wouldve won this game, and this realy shouldnt be an issue, i would have to take Wavo. Its obviously that they r the better team, compare stats, shot percentage, points allowed, steals turnovers, wat ever u want to do, wavo is better...

Harpeth fan or whoever, i will be at every basbeall game

HP, I appreciate the comments. Well said. I think a lot of you and your family. You all are very respectable and nice people. I think you deserve a thank you from the Waverly teams. Where a lot of people have given up on them and stopped coming to the games, you haven't. You deserve a lot of credit for sticking by them. If no one else says so, I do: Thank you! The only reason I started this thread was because there was so much big mouth talking about how great Sycamore was. By comparing the teams, it showed that Sycamore wasn't going to be hoisting any gold ball up.

AS far as my source. You know I know a lot of people since I'm a born and raised Waverly boy and through me playing, my kids playing, doing radio and newspaper, I have a lot of contacts. This person asked me not to reveal them to anyone. They only told me because I inquired why RL didn't get to play more last year. It's over and done. I just hated that his senior year was marred by this. It really disheartened him. But as you know, he made up for it in baseball. Anyway, wouldn't it be nice if WAVO knocked off the so called giants in the District! Ha! I would die laughing. :thumb:

This thread would hold water if we were talking about professional basketball where it is more likely that the same team would have the same players(or same coaches for that matter) in consecutive years. But sadly this is actually high school basketball people graduate, quit the team, drop out, etc. No matter how great and all powerful last years waverly team was, they are just that last years team. Sycamore this still holds a better chance at winning the title than last years waverly team, (or even this years waverly team). Bolivar could be better than Sycamore but still nothing can be said until they meet. Upsets can happen, and are not a rare occurence. Papatiger you make no sense in your reason for comparison of these two teams. Just because a team from the year before was "better" than a team this year, they can't win???? The 03-04 Giles Co. team was better than the 04-05 Bolivar team yet bolivar still won in their year. It is actually kind of hypocritical as to how you can say waverly can beat either Harpeth or Sycamore, yet neither of these teams even stand a chance against bolivar???

Edited by shs5.0

I do agree that this is somewhat of a pointless thread as comparing teams of the past is only for fun and discussion, and there will never be a clear winner. However, since you mentioned all-time, I just had a vision of the following players walking into the WCHS jymnasium. Austin Bates, Todd Milholland, Rico Ralston, Kevin Rawlings and since Waverly has been around much longer than Sycamore, we will throw in a girl by the name of Sally Smith. If you are not aware of her abilities, ask your parents, grandparents, or consult the T$$AA record book. With a team this loaded, we will need some subs to show good sportmanship as the above 5 should not be on the court for long. Roman Sanders, Tink (does he have a real name?), Jeff Washington, Paul Yarborough (pre-accident),and Kent Milholland could all fill in admirably. My apologies to the many Waverly players who I may have inadvertantly left off of this team. Sycamore does have a very strong team this year and has done remarkably well in their short existence. But it will take several more quality players to be even remotely compared to the former greats who played at Waverly Central.

Didn't think anyone would take me serious on that one. Of course Waverly should win they have only been around about 5 times longer than Sycamore. Sycamore has only graduated four classes. Although there have been good players, its hard to pick 5 players out of a group of a couple hundred against waverly's five out of many thousands of players. And when did the TSSAA turn into a rap label, T$$AA??????

i think waverly from last year could probobly beat sycamore

and megustabasketball I didnt leave the gym with my tail tucked between my legs actually I was probobly the last kid from harpeth to leave and you wouldve been the second sweetheart to get my number cause some other kid did too I think his name was chris or jonathan or brandon but anyways they never would meet up with us even though there was only three of us i didnt even see you after tha game I was in the brown hat and brown cadillac shirt

hahaha so ur the cadillac kid....so ur the kid that chris made appologize for calling him cuz.....ur lucky we calmed him down b/c he would have gave u a hospital visit for sure....hahaha

and to number one fan u can be sure that i will attend the baseball games

Edited by megustabasquetbol

hahaha so ur the cadillac kid....so ur the kid that chris made appologize for calling him cuz.....ur lucky we calmed him down b/c he would have gave u a hospital visit for sure....hahaha

and to number one fan u can be sure that i will attend the baseball games

You know, you guys are always talking about hurting someone. That's so immature! Guys, this is basketball, it's a game. Yeah, it's okay to poke and joke around with one another at the games. Cheer against each other, but to fight over it. You will learn that life is much greater than this and in 20 years, it's not going to matter. :)

Well, first off I'm sorry I have not been posting much on the behalf of Waverly. I have been taking some time off from the message boards. Though this post is very interesting to say the least. From the begining to the end (of what i have read) i have gotten goose bumbs to tears in my eyes to laughing. Remembering the great talent and skill that has came out of Waverly to laughing at the "childish" anger of some of you folks. Anyways all topics have there reasons rather imporant or just for fun, they all have reasons. Also last years Tiger team would hammer this years Sycamore team, for what its worth.

Well, first off I'm sorry I have not been posting much on the behalf of Waverly. I have been taking some time off from the message boards. Though this post is very interesting to say the least. From the begining to the end (of what i have read) i have gotten goose bumbs to tears in my eyes to laughing. Remembering the great talent and skill that has came out of Waverly to laughing at the "childish" anger of some of you folks. Anyways all topics have there reasons rather imporant or just for fun, they all have reasons. Also last years Tiger team would hammer this years Sycamore team, for what its worth.

Just got one question for you what are "goose bumbs"? Maybe the poor mans "goose bumps".

And cant wait for baseball.