Best Short-Stops?

ladybobcat07

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kristen Holloway, junior, from GPS. Her range, speed, arm and ability to think before she throws (double plays and run downs) with runners on are all great. She plays summer ball with the Eagles - Pickett and plays SS for them too. Kristen has already committed to play softball for UTC even though colleges like Univ of Florida, Univ of Virginia, Auburn, Univ of Nebraska, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Univ of Indiana, Miami Ohio and others were looking at her. She runs CC for GPS and had Brown, Princeton and Harvard looking at her for the CC sport. She will run CC at UTC also.

GO Bruisers! Go Whitney Bell and Kristen Holloway!!

Kristen Holloway, junior, from GPS. Her range, speed, arm and ability to think before she throws (double plays and run downs) with runners on are all great. She plays summer ball with the Eagles - Pickett and plays SS for them too. Kristen has already committed to play softball for UTC even though colleges like Univ of Florida, Univ of Virginia, Auburn, Univ of Nebraska, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Univ of Indiana, Miami Ohio and others were looking at her. She runs CC for GPS and had Brown, Princeton and Harvard looking at her for the CC sport. She will run CC at UTC also.

GO Bruisers! Go Whitney Bell and Kristen Holloway!!

She is pretty good, if it is the girl I am thinking about. Short girl, about 5'1" or 5'2"?? By the way do you know if the Eagles are going to play Gold this year or are they going to stay down at 18UA?

She is pretty good, if it is the girl I am thinking about. Short girl, about 5'1" or 5'2"?? By the way do you know if the Eagles are going to play Gold this year or are they going to stay down at 18UA?

She is short, maybe 5'2" and blonde. You hear her talking to the players constantly from her position. Her range is great. I have seen her dive for balls that should not get stopped but she stops them. Doesn't appear to mind eating dirt if that's what it takes. Great speed. Three other players from GPS are on the Eagles team too. They had the other Holloway sister but she went to Gordon Lee after a move to GA. Jessica Phillips, Amy Campbell and Kamy Chester all play for the Eagles as well.

I know the Eagles-Pickett moved up to 18u but not sure if they are going Gold or not. I think there is another 18u Eagles team.(?) With the players that Pickett Eagles have, Holly Thomas from Ooltewah, the Holloway twins Kaitlyn and Kristen, plus the other 3 from GPS Jessica Phillips, Kamy Chester and Amy Campbell, they should be very strong with the additions of Maddie McKinnley from Gordon Lee and Kaity Blevins from Soddy Daisy. Last I heard, Ashley Ellis from Bledsoe County maybe?? joined the Eagles. I think the Flores girl from LFO is returning. Breann Kilgore is also a standout from Whitfield County. Amanda Johnson from Soddy played 3rd for him lst year. They are loaded with speed and power. Should be interesting to see how they do in the 18u division, gold or not. Should do well though.

Edited by softballcrazee

She is short, maybe 5'2" and blonde. You hear her talking to the players constantly from her position. Her range is great. I have seen her dive for balls that should not get stopped but she stops them. Doesn't appear to mind eating dirt if that's what it takes. Great speed. Three other players from GPS are on the Eagles team too. They had the other Holloway sister but she went to Gordon Lee after a move to GA. Jessica Phillips, Amy Campbell and Kamy Chester all play for the Eagles as well.

I know the Eagles-Pickett moved up to 18u but not sure if they are going Gold or not. I think there is another 18u Eagles team.(?) With the players that Pickett Eagles have, Holly Thomas from Ooltewah, the Holloway twins Kaitlyn and Kristen, plus the other 3 from GPS Jessica Phillips, Kamy Chester and Amy Campbell, they should be very strong with the additions of Maddie McKinnley from Gordon Lee and Kaity Blevins from Soddy Daisy. Last I heard, Ashley Ellis from Bledsoe County maybe?? joined the Eagles. I think the Flores girl from LFO is returning. Breann Kilgore is also a standout from Whitfield County. Amanda Johnson from Soddy played 3rd for him lst year. They are loaded with speed and power. Should be interesting to see how they do in the 18u division, gold or not. Should do well though.

If they are that good they should play GOLD. All the best 2007's and even the best 2008's are. Of course it depends what your goals are. If you want to play for a top ten, or even top 20, division I school, and you are a junior this year , the only way to go is gold. Those coaches want to see how you hit off of GOLD pitchers and see how the pitchers fare against GOLD batters. 18UA involves hitting off 18U A pitchers and pitching from 40' , not 43'. Getting attention from these coaches and getting them to commit to giving you a really good scholarship offer are two entirely different things.

Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

If they are that good they should play GOLD. All the best 2007's and even the best 2008's are. Of course it depends what your goals are. If you want to play for a top ten, or even top 20, division I school, and you are a junior this year , the only way to go is gold. Those coaches want to see how you hit off of GOLD pitchers and see how the pitchers fare against GOLD batters. 18UA involves hitting off 18U A pitchers and pitching from 40' , not 43'. Getting attention from these coaches and getting them to commit to giving you a really good scholarship offer are two entirely different things.

Just a thought.

I disagree....most Gold rosters contain at least 25 % college freshman and typically another 50%+ graduating seniors who have already signed . The 07 and 08 players for typical gold teams will make up the minority. For Picketts Eagle's team, 90% of his team is comprised of 07 and 08 players. It would be unfair to place a team that young into the mix with girls 2 to 3 older....realisticly the best travel ball players in the country. That being said, my travel team played in a friendly in the fall with Picketts Eagles and a very good Ga Mavericks GOLD team. The Eagles went toe to toe with the Mavericks, many of which just finished the Ga state tournament, and finished in a tie....I believe 2 to 2....with both coaches agreeing to play ITB the last few innings for the experience! The Eagles proved they CAN play with the GOLD teams.....and will do so in many exposure tournaments....but with team so young....a smart coach would play 18A another year and give the girls a chance to mature. I am sure individually, the majority of the girls on the team could be key players on a more experienced GOLD team....but with the entire team being this good and young....why bust it up to do so. These girls still have 2 years after this to play in the GOLD division.

I disagree....most Gold rosters contain at least 25 % college freshman and typically another 50%+ graduating seniors who have already signed . The 07 and 08 players for typical gold teams will make up the minority. For Picketts Eagle's team, 90% of his team is comprised of 07 and 08 players. It would be unfair to place a team that young into the mix with girls 2 to 3 older....realisticly the best travel ball players in the country. That being said, my travel team played in a friendly in the fall with Picketts Eagles and a very good Ga Mavericks GOLD team. The Eagles went toe to toe with the Mavericks, many of which just finished the Ga state tournament, and finished in a tie....I believe 2 to 2....with both coaches agreeing to play ITB the last few innings for the experience! The Eagles proved they CAN play with the GOLD teams.....and will do so in many exposure tournaments....but with team so young....a smart coach would play 18A another year and give the girls a chance to mature. I am sure individually, the majority of the girls on the team could be key players on a more experienced GOLD team....but with the entire team being this good and young....why bust it up to do so. These girls still have 2 years after this to play in the GOLD division.

I agree with coach23...while the best chances of being recruited for top 10-20 teams are playing gold, if you have a young team, its better to do well in an 18A tourney, than to go 2 and out in a gold tourney. Most girls from around here aren't going to play in a top 10 program anyway, with very few exceptions. Alabama/florida/Georgia dont recruit in tennessee unless they are highly exceeptional athletes, and Tennessee will only recruit maybe one or 2...the remaining teams are west coast teams that never recruit around the south

Edited by Bleacherbum

Unicoi County's shortstop, Emily Bennett, is by far the best in her conference. She is a smart agressive player on the field and in the batter's box. She is their only senior this year but she is carrying the team very well this year. don't be surprised if you see her at state with her team. She is doing very well this year, she has hit a number of homeruns and I don't think she has had an error this season. She really helps her team on and off the field she always gets thm pumped up before and during the game, she also offers great advice when her team gets down. She is very good under pressure as well.

Edited by sftballfever

I would say if you are a rising junior or senior and you WANT to play for a top ten or even twenty division I softball program , you better be playing "GOLD". Pickets team is good, very good, but I do not know of any kids on his team being actively recruited by teams like UT Knoxville, UCLA, Texas, Arizona, Stanford, Alabama, Cal,Oregon, LSU, Michigan, Oklahoma ect........ heck, I dont even think they want to go to these top ten schools. I guess the key here is to know your potential and goals. If you want to play for any division I program then by all means play 18UA , if you are after the top, I would have to agree with what was said earlier. I know you have to play gold to be recruited by the top because these programs arent interested in 18UA, they target recruits from the 16UA ASA Nationals and them track their progress the following year or two in Gold. They want the best players and they figure the best play gold.

As for the comment most girls around here arent going to play in a top ten program anyway, I agree , but I do know a few underclassmen that are , and they are being actively recruited by some of the above schools and they ARE playing gold. If they dont the schools that are interested in them will no longer be interested.

Actually, I doubt many of the underclassmen have been actively recruited by top 10 teams. The only thing that is being done with them is to get the recruiting letters that hundreds of girls get. Just because they get a letter, doesnt mean the team is going to offer a scholarship. UT knoxville is the only team in the top 10 right now that will be offering girls from tennessee any scholarships..and that will be only one or two at most each year.