State Tournament Stats

BayouBear

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take no responsibility for typos. :thumb: I was kind of bug-eyed after 3 days of wrestling.

NE = Northeast = Region 1 and 2 = Knoxville and Upper East

SE = Southeast = Region 3 and 4 = Chattanooga and Cleveland

MS = Mid South = Region 5 and 6 = Alabama line to South Nashville

MN = Mid North = Region 7 and 8 = Most of Nashville area to KY line

W = West = Region 9 and 10 = Clarksville and Memphis

I take no responsibility for typos. :thumb: I was kind of bug-eyed after 3 days of wrestling.

NE = Northeast = Region 1 and 2 = Knoxville and Upper East

SE = Southeast = Region 3 and 4 = Chattanooga and Cleveland

MS = Mid South = Region 5 and 6 = Alabama line to South Nashville

MN = Mid North = Region 7 and 8 = Most of Nashville area to KY line

W = West = Region 9 and 10 = Clarksville and Memphis

No smart--- remarks BB but did you come up with all those stats on your own?

Bear, you are the man. Thanks for the info. I was not looking forward to putting that together. I wonder if there is any logic to support the strong Junior wrestling class. I think that spills over into D2 as well...at least in Chattanooga. Baylor and McCallie seem to have significant Junior strength. May just be coincidental. I am already looking forward to the 2008 season.

I'm glad you asked. As I recall the winter of 1987 was unusually cold and bitter with record low temperatures throughout Chattanooga and surrounding areas (like Dalton). Too cold to brave the elements outside. Nothing to do but stay inside and well, uh, so anyway... a bunch of tough little kids were born in 1988. That's what I'm thinkin'.

Too cold to brave the elements outside. Nothing to do but stay inside and well, uh, so anyway... a bunch of tough little kids were born in 1988. That's what I'm thinking'.

THAT'S IT!!!! Black Monday occured as well and encouraged cheaper entertainment at home. We personally found this to be true anyway.:thumb:

Edited by Sommers

Based on these medal counts, it appears that these new regions are not fairly drawn. In the NCAA's a conference is awarded qualifiers based on past years performance which is why in some conferences you must win the conf tourney to qualify for the nationals while in others the top 4 to 6 from each weight class qualify for nationals. These numbers are adjusted every few years based on recent performances. Why shouldn't regions 3 and 4 qualify top 6 to attend the state while some of the less successful regions might qualify only the top 1 or 2? Shouldn't regions be based more on power rankings then participation numbers?Wouldn't this allow the better wrestlers to attend the state tourney?

Based on these medal counts, it appears that these new regions are not fairly drawn. In the NCAA's a conference is awarded qualifiers based on past years performance which is why in some conferences you must win the conf tourney to qualify for the nationals while in others the top 4 to 6 from each weight class qualify for nationals. These numbers are adjusted every few years based on recent performances. Why shouldn't regions 3 and 4 qualify top 6 to attend the state while some of the less successful regions might qualify only the top 1 or 2? Shouldn't regions be based more on power rankings then participation numbers?Wouldn't this allow the better wrestlers to attend the state tourney?

The extra 4th place spots should be awarded to the stronger weight classes around the state, similar to how the NCAA does it. That would be easy. Seedings should involve some head to head to avoid early match ups between top performers that season. This creates more suspense, but also proper balance if done correctly.