DII Regions

gvitallugot

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B) Perhaps Father Ryan would have performed better if they did not possess players that have dual agenda during tournament time and their coach could give a little positive vs mostly negative, even to the point getting personal. You can coach that way, but most of the time the players end up just going through the motions instead of playing competitive basketball.

I do not believe I have ever actually witnessed a situation, whereby the overall highest scorer on a team, and biggest impact player, bails out on her teammates, to go and play in a 'nothing' volleyball tournament instead of playing the first game of the Regional Tournament.

If that does not upset the entire team enough, that this player and the player's parents have done this to the team, the girls shows up at half-time, and the coach puts her in!!

All of the players and parents could not believe what they saw! Father Ryan had the lead until this event upset everyone so much, they could not play as a team any longer.

One player absolutely tore that team apart at the end. When she came out of the locker room, she was laughing it up and giggling with her friends! No tears, no disappointment that the season was now over. LAUGHING!

Edited by CPGB06

I do not believe I have ever actually witnessed a situation, whereby the overall highest scorer on a team, and biggest impact player, bails out on her teammates, to go and play in a 'nothing' volleyball tournament instead of playing the first game of the Regional Tournament.

If that does not upset the entire team enough, that this player and the player's parents have done this to the team, the girls shows up at half-time, and the coach puts her in!!

All of the players and parents could not believe what they saw! Father Ryan had the lead until this event upset everyone so much, they could not play as a team any longer.

One player absolutely tore that team apart at the end. When she came out of the locker room, she was laughing it up and giggling with her friends! No tears, no disappointment that the season was now over. LAUGHING!

The bottom line is - FRHS was out-coached. The negativity, the morale-busting actions, and the inconcsistency was a reminder that Father Ryan was led by a FIRST-YEAR head coach. The deal with the player mentioned above is just a symptom - one player does not a team make.

Here's hoping she will learn from the mistakes before next season. If she's smart, she will remember that the best lessons learned usually come from listening to those players that are willing to be honest with her, not just those who are sucking up for play time.

Edited by Born2Believe

This may need to start up another topic but.....

It is VERY hard for athletes that play multiple sports and extracurricular sports to prioritize. Hopefully the coach knew well in advance that this player would not be there. If not, I'll bet he/she will know next year.

Do you think that with each high school sport an athlete plays that the school sport should come first or the sport the player wants to focus on (play in college) should have priority?

If you insist that school sports come before club or AAU you will have very good athletes only playing one sport. It seems as though a good coach will have great communication with each player and coach according.

In my opinion each athlete and their actions is a direct reflection on the coach. What a coach will allow determines the attitude of the entire team.

Father Ryan - better luck next year!

I wonder what Coach Cockerham - the former basketball coach who only coaches volleyball now - thinks of this action. I bet it never would have happened on her watch. Now that she just does volleyball, did she stay out of the way ?

The travel coach should have never put this player in this position. He/she should have said "go to your school's game". That way the kid would have been taken out of the equation. Psycho AAU and travel coaches ruin it for the good coaches. They brainwash their kids in making a choice. No one travel game was going to impede a player getting a scholarship down the road. (An out of season game at that !).

This is really sad. It follows the same old thing you see all the time. Players looking forward to the next sport and the next season during their own season. The sad thing is Ryan was the #2 seed and was having a very good year. Unreal really.

It is VERY hard for athletes that play multiple sports and extracurricular sports to prioritize. Hopefully the coach knew well in advance that this player would not be there. If not, I'll bet he/she will know next year.

Do you think that with each high school sport an athlete plays that the school sport should come first or the sport the player wants to focus on (play in college) should have priority?

If you insist that school sports come before club or AAU you will have very good athletes only playing one sport. It seems as though a good coach will have great communication with each player and coach according.

In my opinion each athlete and their actions is a direct reflection on the coach. What a coach will allow determines the attitude of the entire team.

The fact is the travel coach probably leaves it up to the player. The fact is the player or her parents or both chose to do this. I won't name her, but everyone in Irishland know who it is. We should all know that no one tournament will make or break your chances of playing the sport you hope to play in college. But a committment to a team is a committment period. ;)

Giv it

I read your post earlier and wanted to think about what you are saying before I replied.

You are correct that it is very hard to prioritize, but only when you do not place importance on a promise. The “ME” attitude has become more and more prevalent in today’s society. So the quandary that the player faces is; “What is more important?”, what “I” want to do, or what have I promised when I tried out and accepted a position on the team. To me, if you make a promise to one team and then make a promise to another team, it is the same thing as accepting two dates so that you can pick which one you like the most at the time the date is suppose to happen. General practice of character would not allow the quandary to happen in the first place.

As to your other point about the action of the player being a direct reflection on the coach. The action of the player, as in cases of high school sports, is a direct reflection of the parents, and not the coach. There is no doubt in my mind that the player, a kid, wanted both shinny ribbons. It is up to us as parents to teach our kids what is right and wrong, and I do not think you could convince a panel of 12 that walking out on a promise, on a commitment, or on your team, is the right thing to do.

And lastly, if your name has any relevance at all, I am surprised that you would not take the position that the kid should “Giv it all u got” when she got to the last game.

I wonder if Jinx at Father Ryan, coaching the volleyball team, thinks that the kid might walk out on her volleyball team during a critical match to go play IMPACT somewhere?

Makes very good sense CPG! I was asking questions to get other thoughts or views. My remark on the player being a direct reflection of the coach was meant to say that the player would not have done any of this if the coach didn't allow it. Sure parents are 100% responsible for their children but this player would not have been able to miss half the game, show up at half time, play the rest of the game and disrupt the team had the coach not allowed this to happen.

My point is when an athlete makes two commitments, one to a school team and one to a AAU or club team, which commitment do they honor first and how do they decide who they should let down. I DO think a player should give all they got to the TEAM, but which team gets priority?

This was an unfortunate situation indeed. If a young lady or young man commits to a high school program, as well as a AAU / travel team, and the two programs schedules conflict, then a commitment to the school program should be the highest of priorities.

The questions are:

1) What conditions did this individual work out prior to the seasons beginning with her basketball coach and travel volleyball coach?

2) ere the special conditions (if any) allowed this individual by the high school coach shared with the other team members?

Makes very good sense CPG! I was asking questions to get other thoughts or views. My remark on the player being a direct reflection of the coach was meant to say that the player would not have done any of this if the coach didn't allow it. Sure parents are 100% responsible for their children but this player would not have been able to miss half the game, show up at half time, play the rest of the game and disrupt the team had the coach not allowed this to happen.

My point is when an athlete makes two commitments, one to a school team and one to a AAU or club team, which commitment do they honor first and how do they decide who they should let down. I DO think a player should give all they got to the TEAM, but which team gets priority?

Let's see - school team with girls I have grown up with, gone to team camp with, will be friends with forever with , and practiced every day with OR a travel team where everyone is out for themselves, from different schools, etc...

hmmmmm...hard choice