DII Regions

gvitallugot

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add to the understanding of the impact this player had by bailing out on her teammates, I just learned tonight that this "I-Don't-Care-About-My-Teammates" player made the All Region Team. If that does not twist the knife while it is in the back, I don't know what does. She should have never played this season at all.

Kinsley, I read your post and I am sorry... she did you and the rest of the team wrong. I am so sorry it had to end this way for you and your teammates. The type of person you are will carry you a long way in life.

I wish the best to all of you as you sort thru this. Hopefully all of the adults can totally get the maturity and clarity of Kinsley's outlook. Way to go Kinsley!

Watching skating now and remembering that the Olympic motto is "Swifter, Higher, Stronger" ...not "Let's kick their butt so dad feels like a winner!"

Some parents may want to rethink/remember why youth athletics exists; it seems that some of you think it exists so that YOU can feel like a winner in the sport that YOU think other kids should pick as their priority.

There SEEMS??? to be no defending some of the player's or coach's decisions BUT the lessons here are probably not about pressuring kids to devote their time so that someone else's dad gets to "win". Although we both would probably arrive at the same conclusions about what is "right", the reasons we pass thru to get there determine if we really learn what is to be learned here. The why's are important.

Please consider that youth athletics doesn't exist so that adults can win, and from that point workable paths and decisions will be more clear to point to for the kids to follow.

Good luck to all of you involved. Tomorrow's a new day and another op to try again! :thumb:

I wish the best to all of you as you sort thru this. Hopefully all of the adults can totally get the maturity and clarity of Kinsley's outlook. Way to go Kinsley!

Watching skating now and remembering that the Olympic motto is "Swifter, Higher, Stronger" ...not "Let's kick their butt so dad feels like a winner!"

Some parents may want to rethink/remember why youth athletics exists; it seems that some of you think it exists so that YOU can feel like a winner in the sport that YOU think other kids should pick as their priority.

There SEEMS??? to be no defending some of the player's or coach's decisions BUT the lessons here are probably not about pressuring kids to devote their time so that someone else's dad gets to "win". Although we both would probably arrive at the same conclusions about what is "right", the reasons we pass thru to get there determine if we really learn what is to be learned here. The why's are important.

Please consider that youth athletics doesn't exist so that adults can win, and from that point workable paths and decisions will be more clear to point to for the kids to follow.

Good luck to all of you involved. Tomorrow's a new day and another op to try again! :thumb:

Compassion: based on the fact that you have a volleyball picture at the end of your post I offer the following:

Suppose your travel volleyball team is playing in the national tournament qtrfinal and one of your best players leaves or comes late to it because she goes with her basketball team to a team camp game in Shelbyville. How would you react ? Just curious.

I "think" I get the point of your post but not really. What does this incident say about committment to your school,your team members, and your coaches (or lack thereof ?)

Good luck to all of you involved. Tomorrow's a new day and another op to try again! :lol:

I will agree that these posts have run their course. But I have to respond to Instructor's post. This person must not have attended any Irish games, or if they did simply can't see good. Instructor needs to stop and smell the coffee. The best players are gonna play period. Some of the statements that you made on that post were plain silly or you simply did not tell the truth or you never played the game and don't have a clue about how it should be played. We are gonna have a tough and good basketball team next season. We will win over twenty games and play in the state tournament. The girls on the team are all winners and have proven that throughout their careers. I will defend the coach on one of Instructor's points. The coach made every effort to try different players in the early seaon looking for combinations that worked. It kept coming back to the same core group of girls that worked best. As to bench players, I personally seen good leads lost while bench players were on the floor. This cannot go on the entire season, that would not be fair to the entire team. There are parents that have totally unrealistic expectations out of their children and simply can't accept the present situation. Some former star players may not be the so-called stars of varisty basketball. The goal of the Father Ryan Basketball Team next season should be that every player's main goal is to help every teammate become a better player. If this happens and is supported by everyone, then they will win the state championship. A lofty goal, but not one that hasn't been accomplished in the past by other teams at other places. A final statement as to Instructor, there is not a kid on the team that doesn't understand the Irish tradition and if you give your money to the Irish as long as everything goes your way, then go ahead and stop giving. I for one will contribute to the Irish as long as I draw a breath. My child goes there for the spiritual, educational, athletic and general personality building that this fine school offers. That will never change. Go Irish. :thumb:

Compassion: based on the fact that you have a volleyball picture at the end of your post I offer the following:

Suppose your travel volleyball team is playing in the national tournament qtrfinal and one of your best players leaves or comes late to it because she goes with her basketball team to a team camp game in Shelbyville. How would you react ? Just curious.

I "think" I get the point of your post but not really. What does this incident say about committment to your school,your team members, and your coaches (or lack thereof ?)

Skip, I sent you an email, I think, to answer directly. I will try to be more clear, sorry.

In your scenerio if a player came late because she was at a school athletic function then I would say, "Hey, glad you made it", and if she played or not could depend on alot of things. In most situations Club should yield to HS athletics. That way a kid makes all of her HS obligations and therefore is not punished for missing club for HS stuff. If all of the adults are mature and kid-focused then it is easier to help the player figure out her priorities and desires before the two seasons start. That way they know what to do when there is a conflict and have already decided to live with whatever compromises are agreed upon.

The problems arise when someone else's dad wants to win more than a kid wants to give. Or, when either the HS coach or club coach have the "I need her to win" attitude which puts their precious win/loss record above what a kid wants in her life.

I believe kids should participate in what THEY want to participate in. I believe that youth athletics exist to serve the kids, not that kids should be pressured into serving the interests of adults who want good win/loss records.

Edited by ComPassion

I believe that youth athletics exist to serve the kids,

not that kids should be pressured into serving the interests of adults who want good win/loss records.

Pressured into serving the interest of adults? Obviously there was no pressure in this case because the kid, under the parent’s consent, did exactly what she, and they, wanted to do. And at the end of the game, she did not care about the outcome or impact of her actions because she was laughing it up with her friends as she left the locker room.

The pressure should come from within, or from the kid’s parents, to do the right thing. Bailing on your high school teammates during the regional tournament could never be interpreted as the right thing to do.

You can justify anything you want when you write your own set of rules. And when those rules get in the way, just re-write them again. It is unfortunate that we do live in a world that everyone seems to out for themselves. I for one, still believe in the team concept.

Pressured into serving the interest of adults? Obviously there was no pressure in this case because the kid, under the parent’s consent, did exactly what she, and they, wanted to do. And at the end of the game, she did not care about the outcome or impact of her actions because she was laughing it up with her friends as she left the locker room.

The pressure should come from within, or from the kid’s parents, to do the right thing. Bailing on your high school teammates during the regional tournament could never be interpreted as the right thing to do.

You can justify anything you want when you write your own set of rules. And when those rules get in the way, just re-write them again. It is unfortunate that we do live in a world that everyone seems to out for themselves. I for one, still believe in the team concept.

CPG,

LET IT GO!! You are blaming this loss on ONE player... if you "believe in the team concept", then you should accept the fact that the TEAM lost. Maybe this player made a mistake, have you never made a mistake? When you did make that mistake, did someone preach about it for days and refuse to let it go? I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if they did. I doubt that this player was thinking, "Today, I am going to completely neglect my teammates and enjoy doing so." She was probably faced with a very difficult situation with pressure from both sides. The fact is, we don't know what her position was or the circumstances surrounding her decision. Regardless of our opinions, nothing good can come of continuously attacking her for her decision.

The coaches, players, parents, and fans should be PROUD of the Irish this year! They exceeded expectations and had a GREAT year! Fans and parents should be proud of the players and proud of the coaches. Can't wait for next year!! :lol:

CPG,

LET IT GO!! You are blaming this loss on ONE player... if you "believe in the team concept", then you should accept the fact that the TEAM lost. Maybe this player made a mistake, have you never made a mistake? When you did make that mistake, did someone preach about it for days and refuse to let it go? I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if they did. I doubt that this player was thinking, "Today, I am going to completely neglect my teammates and enjoy doing so." She was probably faced with a very difficult situation with pressure from both sides. The fact is, we don't know what her position was or the circumstances surrounding her decision. Regardless of our opinions, nothing good can come of continuously attacking her for her decision.

The coaches, players, parents, and fans should be PROUD of the Irish this year! They exceeded expectations and had a GREAT year! Fans and parents should be proud of the players and proud of the coaches. Can't wait for next year!! :(

You are correct, it is hard to let go and we are trying our best to do so in this household. However, unless you have a complete understanding of the set of circumstances we are dealing with, which you do not, please try to restrain yourself in preaching to me what I should or should not do. You have no idea of the impact of this decison, not mistake, had. If you know who I am and would like to call me to learn more, I would welcome your call.

As far as the team is concerned, I am very proud of this entire team, including Coach Jackson. However, we did not exceed expectation, I would say that they came about three games short of my expectations.

This is Kinsley Longhurst

I would like to ask everyone that is talking bad about my team, and my coaches to please stop. This will not bring back the win, it will not bring back playing time, it will not do anything but make people mad.

PLEASE STOP and DELETE your messages.

I loved this team. I love each and every girl on the team. I love my coaches and I love Father Ryan. For whatever it is worth, I gave everything I had for this team. Maybe it wasn’t enough.

Coach Jackson is a great coach and you will see this next year. There will be a great team next year, so let’s not poison it now by putting all this hate on Coacht.

If you have a problem with anything that happened this year, blame it on me. I was suppose to be the senior leader and I will be happy to talk to anyone face to face.

I hope you can put this year behind you and look positively towards next year.

Kinsley

Kinsley you have the true heart of a winner your spirit and will to succeed will always keep you on top.Good luck with the rest of your senior year and always remember to GIV BAK :lol:

You are correct, it is hard to let go and we are trying our best to do so in this household. However, unless you have a complete understanding of the set of circumstances we are dealing with, which you do not, please try to restrain yourself in preaching to me what I should or should not do. You have no idea of the impact of this decison, not mistake, had. If you know who I am and would like to call me to learn more, I would welcome your call.

As far as the team is concerned, I am very proud of this entire team, including Coach Jackson. However, we did not exceed expectation, I would say that they came about three games short of my expectations.

You are right, I do not know the circumstances you and your family are dealing with. BUT, that is the EXACT concept that should prevent you from attacking any players. The same that you have said to me can be said to you. You DO NOT know the circumstances behind that player's decision, which is why you should LET IT GO!!! Please, practice what you preach. I truly wish that someone would have said to you what you have just said to me. Maybe that would have prevented all of these attacks against one of the Irish players.

I understand that you and your family may be upset over this loss. Trust me, I have been there before with my family as well; however, one thing I do know, attacking and blaming other players does not make anyone feel better or make the situation any easier.