Question on a rule change

MCHS_Dad

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve heard that all batting helmets must have a face mask on them this year. Is this true?

That is what our HS coach said, I also think they have to have a chin strap also. My daughter has always wore a face mask but I know alot of girls that don't like them, I don't think it should be a rule. Baseball dosen't have to have a face mask

In June of 1999, Board of Control Meeting Minutes, the following was requested about face masks and other protection.......

19. Took no action on a request from the Tennessee Dental Association to require the use of mouth pieces in basketball, baseball, softball, wrestling, and soccer and to require face masks on all softball batting helmets. The board further requested that all data information and requests be forwarded to the Sports Medicine Committee of the National Federation of High School Associations, since it is not a requirement of NFHS playing rules and member schools abide by NFHS playing rules in all sports.

The TDA decided that the girls are either not smart enough to get out of the way of the ball or they feel more sorry for feminine faces getting whacked by a ball than a males face. Which do you think it is? I know what it is <_<

ERA, I think they thought it more likely that they would be sued by a girl's parents than by a boy's parents if a player was hit in the face.

That doesn't make sense or hold water in a court of law. Gender inequity is an issue but baseless claims of lawsuit percentages is suable in of itself. You cannot base it on that, or at least not officially. In fact, someone is bound to sue over the inequality of the rule. I'll bet you it will be filed within the next year. <_< That would make headlines more so than the present harbored percentage rules proclomation.

If the issue is really about safety, then baseball and softball should have to use helmets with faceguards. But (TSSAA) don't single out the girls' game as being more dangerous than the boys game. Either both should have faceguards, or neither of them should have them. ERA, you are so right in your assessment.

Edited by KenHawk

This is where it starts... NHFSHA Weblink to Mask Rule

Below is the official statement from TSSAA about where it gets its' rules....

2005-06 TSSAA Handbook

Rules of the Game

Section 7. The official rules books as published by the National Federation of State High School Associations shall be used in football, basketball, baseball, girls softball, wrestling, girls soccer, soccer, track and field and girls volleyball.

Below is the NFSHSA Rules Change..... :P

Summary of 2005 NFHS Softball Rules and Editorial Changes

Rules Changes

1-6-6: Effective January 1, 2006, NOCSAE approved face mask/guards are required on all fast pitch batting helmets.

2-25-1g; 2-25-2: Deleted the reference of the ball not being higher than the batter’s head from the definition of both a foul ball and foul tip.

2-36: Deleted from the obstruction rule that fielders may be about to receive the ball. Obstruction may be called unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or fielding a batted ball.

8-6 PEN 3; Appeal Procedures: Changed to add that the coach or any defensive player may make a defensive dead-ball appeal.

Based on the current rules change that the NFSHSA organization made, it gives the TSSAA a real easy wall to hide behind to say " We're just following the rules made by our nationally recognized organization for all prep sports!" except for one small caveat, the 1999 statement by the Board of Control attempting to address the face mask for softball let the cat out of the bag or actually, shows they are in the same sleeping bag together... <_<