Question on a rule change

MCHS_Dad

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball hits as many or more foul balls than softball. I don't have those facts handy but I'll find them. Baseball has a more UPSWING since the ball is coming down. They are taught to take the bat into the same plane as the ball travels..... ;)

Baseball is going to have to wear helmets next year, required. I also think if they are going to make us wear masks from 'getting hurt' then we should also have a double-first base which was suggested at the last meeting.

Baseball hits as many or more foul balls than softball. I don't have those facts handy but I'll find them. Baseball has a more UPSWING since the ball is coming down. They are taught to take the bat into the same plane as the ball travels..... ;)

Baseball is going to have to wear helmets next year, required. I also think if they are going to make us wear masks from 'getting hurt' then we should also have a double-first base which was suggested at the last meeting.

i think maybe we are over thinking things. instead of trying to change so many rules lets have clinics for coaches and players inorder to show the proper way to take a wild pitch. turn inside, tuck head and drop the bat head down. yes its going to hurt be if done properly it works. as coaches we must emphasize safety and technique both of which are not done enough by coaches today.

i think maybe we are over thinking things. instead of trying to change so many rules lets have clinics for coaches and players inorder to show the proper way to take a wild pitch. turn inside, tuck head and drop the bat head down. yes its going to hurt be if done properly it works. as coaches we must emphasize safety and technique both of which are not done enough by coaches today.

I agree, I have seen so many girls turn the wrong way at a pitch.

We use a double first base @ Polk County. It is not required but is allowed (last year it was illegal, at least that is whate we were told). I agree, if they are so concerend about safety, the double first base should be required.

In 1999 my daughter was hit in the left eye by a high and inside fastball, she is very fortunate to be able to breathe today much less see. Dr. David Sain a very competent orthodontist required his daughter to wear a face mask when she played for me in the summers. He once told me that having to reconstruct just one mouth from this type of injury was enough to convince him of the safety benefits. I do not care if you consider this a sexist issue. Now I may get bombed for saying this but I bet you that the protective reactions of the average (I said average) male playing high school baseball are overall better than the average (again average) female playing high school softball. The girls also have less reaction time at 40 ft. on a 60 mph pitch verses a 60 ft. 80 mph pitch. ERA do the math. Another thing I don't really care what the guys do as long as they stay away from my players.

I have been reading this post since its inception and both sides put up a very good argument. I have an older daughter who has been playing 100+ games a year since she was age 10 and is now into her Sophomore year in College and has never worn a face mask on her helmet.

My youngest daughter, who is now a Freshman in High School is wearing a face mask on her helmet for the first time this year and HATES IT!

Now maybe if the absence of a face mask had resulted in in a bad experience for my oldest I would have a different opinion about my youngest wearing one but... I just think she ought to have the option. I know, I know--- It only takes one time and hopefully that time will never come but SHE should be able to decide.

Now if and when she plays in College the security blanket will be removed. I honestly have not payed much attention to Face Masks at the College level but I do not believe that many of the team helmets have them. Frankly, I can only attest to one school. Does a player that is accustomed to wearing a Face Mask loose her "EDGE" when it is removed? I don't know?

Where does it stop! I have heard from two reliable sources that in the near future ASA is going to require that all infielders wear masks???????. In fact, in preparation for this change I have seen some travel teams beginning to wear the masks. Now, I can see a Pitcher who has had an unfortunate experience having the CHOICE to don a mask, but an entire infield?????? It looked ridiculous! Next thing I guess is that every player will have to suit up in full Catchers Gear?

As a result of the Batting Helmet Mask requirement, the platform has been established by the respective governing bodies to continue to CRAM rules and regulations such as this down our throats. Always being a skeptic of our leadership anyway, it really reinforces to me that it is not as much about safety as it is about money???

I knew that I should have pushed my girls toward Golf!

I am a sofball player and I wear a face mask, due to this rule. Well unfortunately when I was sliding into home the cage broke the top of the helmet causing one of the bars to hit me in the mouth. This is unusual, I know, it cut me pretty bad not far from having to get stitches but also almost causing my teeth to break through my lip. Honestly, without the face mask this probably would not have happened. I can understand the safety they are trying to assure by the face masks, but I grew up playing softball without one and I have never had an injury before. I saw some posts about how people said that if girls knew how to take certain pitches, that is true but also if girls knew how to cover bases correctly, and other things, injuries could be prevented. I think that is why they do not have to wear the cages in college is because the girls actually know what they are doing.

I have been reading this post since its inception and both sides put up a very good argument. I have an older daughter who has been playing 100+ games a year since she was age 10 and is now into her Sophomore year in College and has never worn a face mask on her helmet.

My youngest daughter, who is now a Freshman in High School is wearing a face mask on her helmet for the first time this year and HATES IT!

Now maybe if the absence of a face mask had resulted in in a bad experience for my oldest I would have a different opinion about my youngest wearing one but... I just think she ought to have the option. I know, I know--- It only takes one time and hopefully that time will never come but SHE should be able to decide.

Now if and when she plays in College the security blanket will be removed. I honestly have not payed much attention to Face Masks at the College level but I do not believe that many of the team helmets have them. Frankly, I can only attest to one school. Does a player that is accustomed to wearing a Face Mask loose her "EDGE" when it is removed? I don't know?

Where does it stop! I have heard from two reliable sources that in the near future ASA is going to require that all infielders wear masks???????. In fact, in preparation for this change I have seen some travel teams beginning to wear the masks. Now, I can see a Pitcher who has had an unfortunate experience having the CHOICE to don a mask, but an entire infield?????? It looked ridiculous! Next thing I guess is that every player will have to suit up in full Catchers Gear?

As a result of the Batting Helmet Mask requirement, the platform has been established by the respective governing bodies to continue to CRAM rules and regulations such as this down our throats. Always being a skeptic of our leadership anyway, it really reinforces to me that it is not as much about safety as it is about money???

I knew that I should have pushed my girls toward Golf!

I too have a older daughter that played ball and never wore a face mask, my younger daughter hated when she first had to wear it but now she won't bat without it. I would think that anything that protects them within reason every parent should agree with. Look at it as insurance, you wouldn't let your kid in a car without seat belts and they could go there whole life with out a wreck, but all it takes is one good blow and then your wishing they wore it, unconfortable or not. I wouldn't think that a childs safety would even be a issue. There are certain rules that can be good once you get use to them, softball last a few years but my daughters self esteem last a lifetime.

Great point 3STRIKES!

Rules and Regulations are made for a reason and my guess is that the parties involved in adopting the mask change did so as a result of a history of incidents coupled with pressure from a certain majority that wanted to effect the change.

Furthermore, there are probably many more valid points that can be used for the use of the mask vs. not using the mask. I won't beat the horse any longer

My point remains that ATHLETES (key word) should be allowed to make the CHOICE.