consolation?

hhs2state

Very good point Kazam37!!! Another reason for allowing 4 teams to go to the Regions is any team can have off nights. Perfect example, Kingston Boys lost to CAK by 26 points just a couple weeks ago, in the district tournament, Kingston boys beat CAK. Now last night, they lost to Anderson County by just a couple, who's to say that they wont beat AC in the Region if they play each other.

I agree with the off night. Anyone can can have them. But two loses in a row in the district tourney, I don't consider off nights.

It is true that the 4th place team from one district may be better than the number 1 team in another district, but why should the teams from their own districts keep having to beat them. If you lose 2 of 3 to teams in your own district you don't deserve to go further. The other 3 teams remaining can represent the district just fine.

Dark man- I agree with you. Why should you have to keep beating teams from your own district??? Well said my man!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few years ago a team from a district went undefeated through the course of their district schedule. There was an internal problem that arose before the start of the district tournament. This had a direct effect on the team during that time, and they proceeded to lose their two district games even though they had already qualified for the region. The internal problems were solved over the week end, but very few people gave them much of a chance in the region. Long story short: Won Region, won substate, lost by 8 to state runner-up in opening game of state tournament. The system is OK, don't fix what ain't broke!

:thumb: Kaz :thumb:

Lets do away with the whole district tournament, and at the end of the year look at the district standings and let the top 4 teams go to region, and lets do away with substate, and only take the region winners to state. or you can take the winner and the loser of each region and take them to the 'boro

Lets do away with the whole district tournament, and at the end of the year look at the district standings and let the top 4 teams go to region, and lets do away with substate, and only take the region winners to state. or you can take the winner and the loser of each region and take them to the 'boro

I agree for the most part. I think the top 2 (from regular season) district teams should go to Regions (a much smaller tournament) and then on to Substate and State. The way it is set up now, the regular season means nothing but district tourny seeding. Why should 1 lousy game ruin a great season?

Amen brother. If you need an example, look at the Cheatham/Waverly game this year. One fluke game trumps a whole season. Waverly went 3-11 in the district, including 0-2 against Cheatham, and they are headed to the region at an impressive 7-22. Cheatham finished 11-3 in district play and 22-6 over all, and they will have to buy a ticket to see McNairy beat Waverly by 50. Who thinks that makes sense?

Amen brother. If you need an example, look at the Cheatham/Waverly game this year. One fluke game trumps a whole season. Waverly went 3-11 in the district, including 0-2 against Cheatham, and they are headed to the region at an impressive 7-22. Cheatham finished 11-3 in district play and 22-6 over all, and they will have to buy a ticket to see McNairy beat Waverly by 50. Who thinks that makes sense?

I am not ready to throw out the whole tournament system because it does give everybody a reason to keep working all the way through the season because no matter how badly you may have been you still have at least a glimmer of hope. However, once the tournament begins I don't think you should be able to continue lose and still advance. A team can now go 3-3 in the district and regional tournaments and still get to the sub-state/sectional(whatever they call it these days). I don't like to see teams have to keep playing each other over and over from the same district. Teams from the same district could end up playing each other 5 times in route to the state championship(2 regular season games, 1 district tournament game, regional tournament final, and state final). One team could go 4-1 against the other and still not win the state. It's like trying to kill Jason in the Friday the 13th movies. Some how it doesn't seem right to have to keep beating the same team over and over again. LaVergne's boys team last year defeated Wilson Central 3 out 4,(twice in the regular season and in the district tournament) but still stayed at home while Central ended up going to the state because they lost to Central in the regional semi-finals on Central's home court.

I am not ready to throw out the whole tournament system because it does give everybody a reason to keep working all the way through the season because no matter how badly you may have been you still have at least a glimmer of hope. However, once the tournament begins I don't think you should be able to continue lose and still advance. A team can now go 3-3 in the district and regional tournaments and still get to the sub-state/sectional(whatever they call it these days). I don't like to see teams have to keep playing each other over and over from the same district. Teams from the same district could end up playing each other 5 times in route to the state championship(2 regular season games, 1 district tournament game, regional tournament final, and state final). One team could go 4-1 against the other and still not win the state. It's like trying to kill Jason in the Friday the 13th movies. Some how it doesn't seem right to have to keep beating the same team over and over again. LaVergne's boys team last year defeated Wilson Central 3 out 4,(twice in the regular season and in the district tournament) but still stayed at home while Central ended up going to the state because they lost to Central in the regional semi-finals on Central's home court.

How about this. Do away with the district tourny. Go immediately to a super region where every team plays but the top two regular season teams from each

district get a bye to the quarters. The crowds would be bigger and the first round games would be great. If you finished in the top two in your district you would only need two wins to make it to the sectional. All games but the final would put somebody out. That would be an intense atmosphere.