Weight Lifting In 4-5A

Bacillum

Leg press is way easier than squat and it takes all the pressure off the rest of the body. There is no time on a football field when you use just your legs. You use your whole body, legs, back, arms, shoulders, neck. Just like in squats,it takes total body strength to control it and lift it correctly. I worked out for 15 years and coached weights in college and high school and your leg press max is usually more than double your squat max. Oftentimes even more. If you have an injury it is a good substitute. It goes well as a lift used in a program with squats, but by it's self leg press comes far short of the tried and true squat.

For sake of argument though let's say the leg press max is double a squat max............if someone's squat max is 400 and their leg press max is 800; is the benefit not the same for the legs. I understand working the core and balance and all of that; BUT, if the leg press max is double and let's say a guy squatting 400 is leg pressing a 1,000..... is the amount of work being done by the legs GREATER since you don't have to worry about the balance, lower back pain, etc??

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of different types of leg press machines. There are the pnes on an incline that give you a machanical advantage and there are the ones that are straight over your body that lessen the advantage the machine gives. I believe that Oakland has the second of the two.

As far as weight lifting in the region talk goes the Bench, Squat, and Power Clean numbers are the most relavent.

Edited by mynameis

For sake of argument though let's say the leg press max is double a squat max............if someone's squat max is 400 and their leg press max is 800; is the benefit not the same for the legs. I understand working the core and balance and all of that; BUT, if the leg press max is double and let's say a guy squatting 400 is leg pressing a 1,000..... is the amount of work being done by the legs GREATER since you don't have to worry about the balance, lower back pain, etc??

I see what your saying, but you need to use your core and the small guiding muscles that are not firing when you use leg press to be the best football player you can be. My point is why would a football player not work on his balance and core? Two big keys to being a better football player. And if someone is hurt then by all means yes use it. And use it along woth a squat. But if you hurt your back squating, then you aren't doing it correctly. A football player will never reach his maxium potential with out using exercises that shock the system and work coresponding muscles, while still working the small guiding muscles and your core. :huh:

Bottom line is that we do BOTH the squat and the leg press. I trust our coaches to do the right thing to get our players ready to play. Congrats to kaelin Griffith for his dedication to the program.

Sounds like your coaches are doing a nice job. I really like coach Goolesby, that came over from WCHS last year. He is a fine man and good coach.

Bottom line is that we do BOTH the squat and the leg press. I trust our coaches to do the right thing to get our players ready to play. Congrats to kaelin Griffith for his dedication to the program.

Sounds like your coaches are doing a nice job. I really like coach Goolesby, that came over from WCHS last year. He is a fine man and good coach.

Is there one vacant coaching spot at LHS??

What's up with that?

I don't think so.....? I think it stands out as

Coach Thomas- Head Coach/ Defensive Coor./ LB's

Coach Hester- Offensive Coor./QB-RB-FB

Coach Campbell- Wide Receivers

Coach Grooms- Defensive Line

Coach Moos- Offensive Line

Coach McAnally- Defensive Ends

Coach Williams- Defensive Backs

I don't know about other schools, but Oakland is stronger than it has ever been. We now have seven lineman with 300 on bench. Big Murph has 345 and Elrod, Barrett, and Bragdon have 300. Kaelin and LaVagues have 315 while Meadows have 325. We also have five cleaning 275. This will be the most competetive year yet. By the way, where did the Rumor Mill go.

I don't know about other schools, but Oakland is stronger than it has ever been. We now have seven lineman with 300 on bench. Big Murph has 345 and Elrod, Barrett, and Bragdon have 300. Kaelin and LaVagues have 315 while Meadows have 325. We also have five cleaning 275. This will be the most competetive year yet. By the way, where did the Rumor Mill go.

Yea, where did the rumor mill go?

Keep working hard. Go Pats!

OH YEAH.......Big Bragdon, I KNEW you could get that 300 lbs. I am sooooo proud of you, kid!

Had no clue Murph was benching 345. When is the Liftathon? I can;'t wait!!

WOW.......7 over 300....... ,,never has OHS been stronger ....not even in 98!