Region 1AA Tournament

CycloneFan

The Regionals always seem to bring out the very Worst the trade has to offer. Like someone said on another thread, you see them smiling, talking with the other coach, with his or her players; well, that's usually a tell-tale sign. Of course, I wasn't there, but I know the "Fan" who was. I also know John English, who was run over last night; and to some extent, Coach Weems. God forbid a coach might say something so terrible as "that's unbelievable," in a win-or-go-home game. Ref, could you have possibly forcee yourself to consider the situation; to consider the pressure these kids and Coaches are under? Maybe you could've said something like, "this is a warning, Coach?" Or, better yet, how'bout just "knock it off, Coach." He's a smart guy. He'd get your message.

The official's job is to keep the players, and coaches, from getting totally out of hand. But how about the coach? His job is to let his players know that he's there for them with all his heart and might. Anyone who's seen Coach Weems coach, will attest that he is very active, but also very respectful. "That's unbelievable." Yep, that should really get a Coach teed up.

Sounds to me, Fan, like you're being too diplomatic. I've seen a few too many thefts take place in Regional games. It's become a little sickening.

Oh well, it's just another ball game.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamond2 you are correct. BUT when you tell a very hands on coach after a bogus first half T that he cannot under any circumstance get up off the bench for the rest of the game, you are unfairly handcuffing the coach. The "mad cow ref" gave us a warning for slapping hands after a made FT! And they gave a warning for our cheerleaders for coming on the court to cheer during a TO. Im not kidding here folks. That really happened. Yes the lady cyclones turned the ball over way yonder too much especially in the second half, but, if you saw the game, you know there were several, no numerous, GP steals that left the EHS player on the floor, with no foul called. I give Rader credit for coaching his girls to play to the limit of what the refs were allowing. But it was not evenly called for such aggressive play. The only offensive foul calls were against EHS. AT least 3. But yet GP was the team taking the ball hard to the hole more often than EHS. GP was anything but tentative and again I give them credit. GP did what they had to do to win the game and hats off to them. You must play with what you are given. And "that" official was scheduled to call the boys game between Rutledge and PF tonight but withdrew because of "cramps" and a replacement official took his place. Honestly, that's a fact.

Anyway, great season for the orange and black. To the seniors Cameron and Eden, good luck and thanks for the memories. Two great kids to give their all for Betsy. To the rest, remember the Titans!!!

We still don't know much about Unicoi County's overtime loss, but even in overtime, who'd've-spected the score between Elizabethton and Cumberland Gap to reach the seventies?

Before Wednesday, the Lady Cyclones had allowed over Fifty points in only three games this season: 59 in a three-point loss to Mitchell County, North Carolina and 51 in a twenty-point blowout over David Crockett, both way back in late November. South Greene managed 58 in the one-point, overtime loss to the Lady Cyclones in January.

Gatlinburg had allowed over fifty in an incredible Sixteen Games. Go figure.

bball35, that "tidbit" of information is in my post at 8:59 pm last night. I did notice Rader standing outside the box at least one time but it was when one of his players fouled out late in the game, maybe OT, so I guess there's an exception for that. And for the record I dont think Rader deserved his T either from what I know. Neither he nor Weems were animated, or foot stomping or out on the court. And Im sure they didnt say anything profane or about the refs mamma. In a regional semifinal game a ref should try and avoid calling Ts instead of looking to call them as this guy was. Anyway, the T's didnt decide the game. GP's players did as Ive said before. But the T's did change the flow, from a coaching standpoint, and a ref shouldnt do that unless forced to. Here, he wasnt.

As for the Unicoi game, had Mainer not fouled out with six minutes to go in the game, Unicoi likely wins in regulation. She had 20 points Im told. Barnett had an off night, and I dont think scored until OT. I guess this is just district two's year in AA. Good luck against Austin East and Seymour. From the looks of their scores in Region 2, you will need a little!

From a spectator standpoint it was a whale of a game tonight as Gatlinburg Pittman beat Elizabethton 74-71 in overtime. So much ebb and flow in this game, its hard to know where to start. First off, hats off to Coach Rader and his team. They played outstanding. But so did the cyclones. We got the same officials that did the Unicoi boys game last night, and the official who made the off ball call for a jump, also figured bigtime in this one. Weems gets his first T in three years in the first half after a offensive foul is called on a sideline play. He said "that's unbelievable" and got T'ed. The significance of the play was that Weems was subject to the seat-belt rule the rest of the game. Once he got up to call a timeout and was told by the same official that the next time he got up, it was another T and ejection.

EHS spurted at the end of the half to lead by 9. Rader turned up the D and went on a 10-0 to start the second half. EHS regained the lead and then Rader gets a T by the same official for I dont know what. EHS leads 50-45 at that point. So both coaches are now seatbelted! EHS leads by 1 heading into the 4th. The GP pressure takes it toll and they spurt ahead, and with under a minute to go they lead by 6. But here come the cyclones. The press, which they went to late in the game, starts to work and they come back to tie the game. A GP miss results in, yes, you guessed it, a jump ball and its GP's possession with about five sec to go. GP misses and we go to OT. EHS gets the tip and Hopson is going to the basket when she and the GP player make contact in what looked like an obvious block, but no, the same offical calls a charge. GP drives and scores, presses and gets a TO and easy basket. Up by 4. They eventually get it back to six and seemingly have the game in control. But Betsy comes back and cuts it to two; then they get a stop and with about 15 seconds left Victoria shoots a three that looks good all the way, softly hits the rim, then again, tries to go down but the ejector button pops it out.....we foul and with 8 sec to go GP hits the first, misses the second and EHS has one last chance to tie with a three. Ball gets knocked out of bounds with three seconds to go frontcourt in front of the EHS bench. EHS has no TO's. Ball is inbounded and the desperation 3 misses. Game over 74-71. GP has a very deep, quick, aggressive team and made the plays to win the game. They take the ball to the basket very well and have some shooters. EHS did not deserve to lose but somebody had to. Great season, great heart on this cyclone team. 30-4 isnt too bad. We are proud of you ladies and coaches. Now Im gonna watch TN kick the Wildcats back to Rupp Arena.

Postscript: Unicoi lost to Pigeon Forge in overtime as well. 51-45 PF.

Man, I had to miss that one and I hate it to the core. Tough luck......but what a great season for the Cyclones. We will all miss Crapps and E. Treadway quite a bit. They have been a class act throughout their careers. Congradulations to them and you have to really, really look forward to what's coming back next year!

Congradulations to GP and Coach Radar.

Hey Fan, my WILDCATS will have to knock off Fl also to get to the NCAA, but I had to enjoy that game last night. :lol:

Edited by GLee

Sorry, but the "T" didnt cost Betsy the game, it was the numerous turnovers throughout the game because of GP's pressure. Congrats on a GREAT season!

I didn't see the game, unfortunately, but there are 'those' refs who want to be 'seen'. Apparently, this guy is one of them. And I agree, I'm sure that GP earned the win.

GLee, Agreed, and this should Not be taken as disrespect for the other team; a job well-done. But it would appear that true neutrality could be found for elimination games.

Part of it this is heartbreak for the kids; part of it, anger, but the biggest part is simple frustration.

It's just so interesting that in most cases, the elimination games are very low-scoring: Coalfield - Greenback; Oneida - Oliver Springs; not one of that final four scored over forty points. Unaka had 43, Hampton, 46. And then we have a Great Defensive Team like Elizabethton suddenly, an in a game against another team that prides itself in its defense, the scores hit the sixties, in regulation. Just makes me wonder if the Lady Cyclones became a little hesitant to play the game like thay'd done thrughout the season; especially since their coach was sat in a corner.

As for Cameron and Eden, they've both done their homework, and both can play on if they choose, but bottom line is, they're prepared to move on. Congratulations to two Very Classy and Beautiful young Ladies.

And yes, Congratulations to Gatlinburg Pittman. Contunued Success! :lol:

Cyclones definitely scored enough points to win; just didnt get enough stops. I believe we defended them mainly with man, although we did play some of the "match".

PF will zone them, which is what they did when they beat them in the district championship.

Pigeon Forge played man the entire game last time. With the exception of out of bounds under the goal.

Fan, did happen to catch the game last night and just wanted to give my viewpoint from someone not associated with either team. First the officiating, to me it was called pretty close in the first half and then let them play a little more in the second which favored the Highlanders (but could have favored the Cyclones). The technicals seemed to affect each team about the same, both where on little runs when they happened and seemed to slow each down. Can't say the officiating went towards any side. Both teams entered the bonus around the same time. Both teams seemed to shoot about the same number of free throws, reminded that the Cyclones had to foul some at the end, so I wouldn't say the officiating had much effect on the game (not saying that is what you said).

Now for what I saw in the game, each time (at the beginning and the end of the 1st half) the Cyclones got a lead and seemed to get comfortable with it, seemed to go on cruse control with the lead. Didn't attack the GP press. Many times I thought they had a 2 on 1 advantage and pulled the ball back out. Seem satisfied just to break the press. Also thought MP got really tentative, kicked the ball out when being guarded by a smaller player. Thought when the game got a little more physical she should have taken over the post play. Also thought CC got off to a great start and then faded towards the end. Sure she got tired but the majority of her points came in the first 3 quarters. GP's #10 is quite a player, very quick, all over the court. Their unusual style of play is designed to make you tenative and I think that is what happened to the Cyclones. Not saying they didn't play hard or give good effort, just as the ole saying goes. "Playing not to lose instead of win". CC and MP looked really tired at the end of the regulation. Again defensively, didn't see the same intensity that I had seen them play with before. A lot of uncontested 3 pointers and too many second chance points for GP. How many 3 pointer's did GP have? Good season but hard to lose a game I'm sure you felt you should have won. Your comments.

As for the Unicoi Game, Unicoi even came back to tie the game, down 6 or 20 without Manior. Of course she picked up her fourth foul by running down the court and throwing an elbow into the post kid from PF. Not a good foul. Barnett had one of the worst shooing nights I have seen her have. Can only remember her making 2 shots and one of those banked in from the top of the key. Where not able to get the ball to the right people at the end of regulation or overtime, this is where Manior could have really helped. Tough loss but PF is pretty good. 2 good guards, a really good forward and a really good post.