TNT's "Robo-ref"

Lovethisgame

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any thoughts on the official that had his mechanics very well practiced? How many hours in front of the mirror do you think he has spent? I have never witnessed any official that dramatic. Too bad he was more concerned with his appearance than making the right calls.

We had ole Robo Ref a couple of times in the tourney and you are exactly right. When he did make a call (which was rarely) he had those mechanics down pat. I wouldn't say he cheated anybody, he was just BAD for both teams. Let the inside players just kill each other but the guards better not breathe or it was a touch foul. A little consistency would have been nice.

We had ole Robo Ref a couple of times in the tourney and you are exactly right. When he did make a call (which was rarely) he had those mechanics down pat. I wouldn't say he cheated anybody, he was just BAD for both teams. Let the inside players just kill each other but the guards better not breathe or it was a touch foul. A little consistency would have been nice.

You hit the nail on the head!!! That was exactly how our game was called by him. He did have great mechanics. It's my understanding that's what the TSSAA Supervisors are looking for to advance them to a higher level of officiating. Maybe that was his goal for the tournament...trying to get in to high school games. He did not seem to show any favoritism...just a BUNCH of missed calls. I have seen a lot of "Palming the Ball" calls in our conference this year. (Not at TNT). Are other regions/areas seeing a lot more of these calls? (By the way, I am glad to see it called)

After watching some games at the TnT tourn. i think the "Robo-ref" did a pretty good job. considering he was in the 5a final game, he had to have done something right wouldn't you think? grant it he probably did miss a few calls but who doesn't miss calls i mean if referees were 100% perfect they would become spectators, but i give the men and women credit for atleast getting off their butts and trying to better the game with the knowledge they have to referee these young kids. yes he was one of the youngest but he is in the next generation of referees and it doesn't look like anyone else is stepping to the plate because it's easier to call out what the referee did right or wrong but being on the floor and having to listen to parents and coaches wine the whole time takes a lot. and it's good to see that a young person took the challenge of refereeing those games in the tournament. players and coaches are always trying to get better at playing the game, so are officials at refereeing the games, it just takes practice. so atleast "robo-refs" mechanics are down so now he can really focus on officiating on the next level.

"what happend to the game having good sportsmanship and everyone just playing for the love of the game"

After watching some games at the TnT tourn. i think the "Robo-ref" did a pretty good job. considering he was in the 5a final game, he had to have done something right wouldn't you think? grant it he probably did miss a few calls but who doesn't miss calls i mean if referees were 100% perfect they would become spectators, but i give the men and women credit for atleast getting off their butts and trying to better the game with the knowledge they have to referee these young kids. yes he was one of the youngest but he is in the next generation of referees and it doesn't look like anyone else is stepping to the plate because it's easier to call out what the referee did right or wrong but being on the floor and having to listen to parents and coaches wine the whole time takes a lot. and it's good to see that a young person took the challenge of refereeing those games in the tournament. players and coaches are always trying to get better at playing the game, so are officials at refereeing the games, it just takes practice. so atleast "robo-refs" mechanics are down so now he can really focus on officiating on the next level.

"what happend to the game having good sportsmanship and everyone just playing for the love of the game"

I do not think we are talking about the same person. The one I am referring to did not ref the 5A Girls Championship. I thought that both refs did a good job Saturday night. I am talking about a guy who ref'd Tuesday night at The Center. I completely understand that they have to learn somewhere, but I think most people expect a little higher level at Tournament time (especially when it's advertised as a State Tourney). Guess it was hard to evenfind refs after all the re-scheduling and it being District Tournament time as well. I do admire their efforts and I would not want to be in their position.

After watching some games at the TnT tourn. i think the "Robo-ref" did a pretty good job. considering he was in the 5a final game, he had to have done something right wouldn't you think?

No, I don't agree. But, you are entitled to your opinion (however warped it may be). We're not talking about missed calls, we,re talking about the obvious ones. When a player is hammered to the floor and no whistle is blown, there is a problem.

I will agree with MIKE LINEBACKER that the ref must have said "no blood no foul" on the hard fouls. Then, out of no where, they would call a touch foul....go figure!

I understand that officiating is not an easy job, and that all calls will not be made. But, as I said before, make the obvious calls. Thus, most (but not all) spectators will be content.

i'm not trying to stir anything up, but sometimes when players go to the floor doesn't mean it's a foul. i'm not saying that they didn't get hammered or that it wasn't a foul but there is more going on in the paint than what most fans see. the touch fouls that you may think are easy, may have been obvious to that official. i'm not trying to say he's right and your wrong or visa-versa. i'm just saying stuff out high is more obvious then stuff in the paint. also, hardly referees say "no blood no foul" when they go into refereeing a game. but contact happens, they must adjust and overcome. ya know.

i'm not trying to stir anything up, but sometimes when players go to the floor doesn't mean it's a foul. i'm not saying that they didn't get hammered or that it wasn't a foul but there is more going on in the paint than what most fans see. the touch fouls that you may think are easy, may have been obvious to that official. i'm not trying to say he's right and your wrong or visa-versa. i'm just saying stuff out high is more obvious then stuff in the paint. also, hardly referees say "no blood no foul" when they go into refereeing a game. but contact happens, they must adjust and overcome. ya know.

PLEASE.....most of us fans know a blocked shot from a "mugging." Ole Robo was letting "ALL" teams get away with muggings, and that's fine, but don't call the touch fouls if you're not gonna call the muggings. When bodies are flying and hitting the floor, seems to me that that is "obvious." Robo just needs to quit trying to look like an NBA ref and "just" call the game.

I'm not sure which ref you all are referring to but....I watched the 5-A championship and the young ref that called was the best official of the entire tournament.

And yes...his mechanics were what they were suppose to be. This is not Jr. Pro.

Whatever!None of the officiating in our three games was good and yes I feel that way even in our two wins.

And I still say his mechanics were overkill.

well game, there is no way we are going to change your mind about the refereeing. however, what you see in the stands is totally different than what the referee sees. i'm not saying it shouldn't have been called. but be in the referees shoes. i love watching basketball but i am not going to get online after watching a middle school game and complain about officiating, thats nonsense because a lot of those guys are trying to get better and become varsity officials. just enjoy watching your kids play and quit harping on the negative aspects of the games.