SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE OFFICIATING

m-townflyinghigh

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the good ones are at the college level then the game is in real trouble. I've watched 30 college games in person this season and about 5 of them had decent crews. The rest were anywhere from awful to barely tolerable. I'm not sure the problem is money, it might help, but the real problem is accountability. Until officials are held accountable for the job they do on the floor it's only going to get worse. Coaches have their kids watching film after every game. Maybe officials should be required to watch the film after every game they call with someone who is scoring them for that performance and then pay is determined from the score. It might make things much more interesting.

Good Thinking :(

It looks like it is a problem all across the state. Our team played a regional game and the calls went something like 19 to 5 through the 3rd quarter. Five fouls on one team for three whole quarters? It did not start to balance out untill we got control of the score and they needed to foul us to get the ball back.

I don't know what can be done but I think girls are hurt that should not be. We had a girl (post) get hit in the mouth during action under the basket, no foul called and she is going to need dental work because of it. Girls being clawed with intent ( 4 nails leaving scratches at one time) and nothing being done. Officals need to get things under control regardless of one players dominance over another or team over another. Sometimes if one team or player seems to be better they get the short end of the stick. And before you say I am imagining this I had an offical tell me to my face that he had to give the other team every chance he could. This was not me getting on them. We were just talking about the score at the end of a quarter and he really did not even need to know what the score was. Did he?

A few years ago, when they went to the three man/woman crews, the fees were lowered because it was being split 3-ways. Yes, they all want to move above high school ball for the money and the prestige of being beyond HS basketball, baseball and football. I called for several years, but it was because I loved the game. You sure arn't going to make a living at it. It is inconsistancy that drives me nuts. There has to be a lot of 'give and take' or a game would take all night. You have to 'let them play' to an extent, but please be consistant for the sake of the kids.

Raising game fees will only entice more "unqualified" people to do it "for the money".

The problem is anyone who can pass a open book test and attend a few "rules meetings/clinics" can get a patch to call games.

Granted, most start at lower level (youth league/JR Hi) and are evaluated before moving up, but there is such a demand for officials on a given night, most are forced to move up before they are ready.

The opposite side of this argument says that alot of good officials have quit calling because the fans have become so unruly that it's not worth $65 to take all the crap. Raising fees may keep some of the good ones.

Raising game fees will only entice more "unqualified" people to do it "for the money".

The problem is anyone who can pass a open book test and attend a few "rules meetings/clinics" can get a patch to call games.

Granted, most start at lower level (youth league/JR Hi) and are evaluated before moving up, but there is such a demand for officials on a given night, most are forced to move up before they are ready.

The opposite side of this argument says that alot of good officials have quit calling because the fans have become so unruly that it's not worth $65 to take all the crap. Raising fees may keep some of the good ones.

YEAH FANS HAVE BECOME RULY. THE REASON WHY IS POOR OFFICIATING. YOU TELL ME IF A FOUL IS COMMITTED UNDER THE GOAL AND THERE IS A REF UNDER THE GOAL. HOW CAN THE REF STAND ON THE FAR LEFT SIDE CALL A FOUL WHEN THE REF UNDER THE GOAL DIDN'T.

UNTIL THE TSSAA STARTS TO MONITOR TAPES OF GAMES LISTEN NOT ONLY TO COACHES, BUT SCHOOL OFFICIALS, AND FANS. BECAUSE YOU NEED THE FANS MONEY. OUR CHILDREN ARE THE ONES WHO SUFFERS. IT LIKE NO MATTER HOW HARD I PLAY OR TRY TO PLAY FAIR THE CALL IS ALWAYS GOING TO GO AGAINST ME.

PLUS THIS IS CHAMPIONISHIP TIME YOU SHOULD LET THEM PLAY BALL. BUT DON'T LET THE GAME GET OUT OF HAND WHERE THEY OUT TO HURT EACH OTHER.

When the officiating is bad, both teams remember the blown calls against them and both think they got hosed. The problem is bad officiating, but rarely impartial officiating.

IT IS IMPARTIAL WHEN YOU SEE THE REF HUGGING ON THE COACH AFTER A WIN. REFS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HOLD CONVERSATION WITH THE PLAYERS. THIS WAS HAPPENING AT OUR GAME THE REF SPENT THE WHOLE NIGHT TALKING TO THIS ONE PLAYER. PEOPLE CAN TELL BAD OFFICIATING, AND THEY CAN REALLY TELL IMPARTIAL OFFICIATING. I KNEW WE WERE IN FOR SOMETHIND AFTER WHAT I SAW.

YEAH FANS HAVE BECOME RULY. THE REASON WHY IS POOR OFFICIATING. YOU TELL ME IF A FOUL IS COMMITTED UNDER THE GOAL AND THERE IS A REF UNDER THE GOAL. HOW CAN THE REF STAND ON THE FAR LEFT SIDE CALL A FOUL WHEN THE REF UNDER THE GOAL DIDN'T.

UNTIL THE TSSAA STARTS TO MONITOR TAPES OF GAMES LISTEN NOT ONLY TO COACHES, BUT SCHOOL OFFICIALS, AND FANS. BECAUSE YOU NEED THE FANS MONEY. OUR CHILDREN ARE THE ONES WHO SUFFERS. IT LIKE NO MATTER HOW HARD I PLAY OR TRY TO PLAY FAIR THE CALL IS ALWAYS GOING TO GO AGAINST ME.

PLUS THIS IS CHAMPIONISHIP TIME YOU SHOULD LET THEM PLAY BALL. BUT DON'T LET THE GAME GET OUT OF HAND WHERE THEY OUT TO HURT EACH OTHER.

lower caps please!

m-town...

My response was mainly to an earlier post about raising the game fees. But in response to your comment about a ref and his "relationship" with members of the contest... officials are strongly discouraged from having casual conversations with participants. It's poor game management, and most of all IT LOOKS BAD.

Usually at post-season games, and many other mid-season games, there are members of the TSSAA evaluating the game. Hopefully what you reported here did not go unnoticed by the TSSAA.

Don't take my "unruly fans" comment personal, but you know as well as I do, most crowds have their share of them. The ones that scream and yell and berate an official because he paid $5 to get a courtside seat.

Edited by midtnblu

Guest dare_2_dream

THIS IS PROBABLY THE WORST GAME I SEEN CALLED LAST NAME (2/27/06), BESIDES SEEING BOLIVAR BOYS PLAYED LIBERTY LAST WEEK. SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE OFFICIATING. THE FANS OF THE LADY TIGERS NEW THAT MADISON WAS GOING TO WIN THE GAME AND HAVE THE UPPERHAND. THE REF THAT CALLED THE MOST FOULS OF THE GAME WAS NOT ONLY FROM JACKSON, BUT HE WAS HUGGING ON THE COACH'S DAUGHTER AND TALKING TO HER THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE GAME. I DON'T MIND IF WE LOST AND WE PLAYED A BAD GAME, BUT MIDDLETON DIDN'T GET A CHANCE TO PLAY. MADISON SPENT THEIR WHOLE NIGHT ON THE FREETHROW LINE, THEY WENT 30 TIMES TO THE LINE. FOULS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED WASN'T CALLED. ONE OF OUR BEST PLAYER GABRIELLE JONES WHO JUST CAME BACK AFTER HAVING KNEE SURGERY WAS BEING TRIPPED AND KNOCKED OVER AND NO FOULS WERE CALLED. OUR LEADING SCORER VALNESSA MILLER WAS CHARGED WITH CHARGING AND THE GIRLS WERE DEEP UNDER THE GOAL AND WASN'T EVEN SET. MOVING PICKS BEING SET THE FOULS BEING CALLED AGAINST US. ONE GIRL OFF OF MADISON EVEN STEPPED OUT OF BOUND IN FRONT OF THE REF AND THE GAME CONTINUED. THE OTHER REF CALLED FIVE SECONDS, BUT WHEN IT WAS TIME TO TURN THE BALL OVER TO MIDDLETON NEXT THING YOU KNOW THEY ARE SAYING COACH PATTERSON CALLED FOR A TIME OUT. AFTER MADISON WON THE REF WENT AND HUGGED COACH PATTERSON. EVERYTIME MIDDLETON GOT WITH IN REACHING DISTANT THE WHISTLE WAS BLOWING. IF YOU LOOK AT THE STATS FOR EACH QUARTER OF THE GAME MADISON MADE MOST OF THEM ON THE FREETHROW LINE. MADISON DISTANT BEAT US WITH THEIR SHOOTING CAUSE NEVER HARDLY GOT A CHANCE TO SHOOT.

TSSAA SAY PLAY WITH GOOD SPORTMANSHIP, BUT HOW CAN YOU PLAY WHEN THE OFFICIAL ARE CHEATING AND NOT CALLING GAME RIGHT. BOLIVAR AND LIBERTY GAME WOULD HAVE NEVER HAVE GOTTEN OUT OF HAND IF THE REFEREES WOULD HAVE TOOK CHARGE OF THE GAME. THE BOY FROM LIBERTY WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED FROM REGIONAL AND MAYBE SUBSTATE GAMES.

SOME KIND OF PUNISHMENT SHOULD BE GIVEN TO REFEREES THAT CHEAT AND I DO MEAN BLATANTLY CHEAT FOR OTHER TEAMS.

i believe you starting this thread will be the answer to all the problems by refs. i think the tssaa will listen to you and see this thread and say wow we must do something. nice start of a thread. :P

Make that the 2nd thread that mr. CAPS has started about this game in particular. The other held accusations of the ref being the players Grandfather but it was quickly locked.

With the reffing it always seems bad, and that every year it's complained about. Someone said earlier that you only remember the calls that went against you (and nice use of the term "hosed"). And as it's been mentioned all of the quality refs will naturally get called on to the higher levels to get paid more.