WC vs Smyrna

doedoe1961

Campbell Brandon won the state at LHS in 1971, took several other teams to the state and wrapped up his career with over 700 wins. I know he was in the finals at least two other time -- in 1975 losing to Bradley Central. His Devilettes lost to Harry Gill coached Smyrna when Kim Webb was a senior at SHS. He's in the TSSAA Hall of Fame. In fact, he took a team to the state in the last year of 6 on 6 and was the only coach to bring a team back the next year in 5 on 5.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Campbell Brandon won the state at LHS in 1971, took several other teams to the state and wrapped up his career with over 700 wins. I know he was in the finals at least two other time -- in 1975 losing to Bradley Central. His Devilettes lost to Harry Gill coached Smyrna when Kim Webb was a senior at SHS. He's in the TSSAA Hall of Fame. In fact, he took a team to the state in the last year of 6 on 6 and was the only coach to bring a team back the next year in 5 on 5.

So you are saying that he coached at LHS in the early 70's and until the early 90's? Seems like then I am beginning to understand the animosity that the Brandon brothers have for Smyrna then if Harry Gill took a gold ball from them during that time. I suppose that the mailman is possibly a former asst of his...thus his lack of enthusiasm for Smyrna?

Thanks Eddie for the clarification......getting 700 wins is quite impressive. Wonder why he didn't have more gold balls tho?

Clarifying - who was on the all-region (5aaa) squad, and mvp?

I think that Jessica Pollock, Taylor Oliver, Jasmine White and Devin Thompson were all on it from Smyrna High.

Edited by 2priceless

So you are saying that he coached at LHS in the early 70's and until the early 90's? Seems like then I am beginning to understand the animosity that the Brandon brothers have for Smyrna then if Harry Gill took a gold ball from them during that time. I suppose that the mailman is possibly a former asst of his...thus his lack of enthusiasm for Smyrna?

A little insight here on Campbell Brandon. Yes, Harry Gill did beat Campbell for the gold ball, but Harry would have likely never have been in that situation had it not been for Campbell Brandon. Harry Gill's coaching mentor was none other than Campbell Brandon. When Harry started coaching he spent a lot of time visiting with Campbell to learn his trade. They are very good friends to this day. :D

Edited by Dark Man

Sorry couldnt respond to you right then priceless been doing some packing.....no im not a former assistant just a friend of the program....I have no dislike for smyrna and have congratulated them countless times on here. I dont know where you see that the Brandons have animosity for smyra?

Campbell also tutored Larry Joe Inman who won a state title at Mt. Juliet in 1977, then went on to coach at MTSU and is now the coach at Eastern Kentucky University. CB was always willing to help young coaches. Larry Joe and Harry Gill were two who brought their teams in to practice and went to team camps with "The Godfather". His two sons (Bud and Tom) both played basketball at LHS. Bud was a very unselfish point guard, Tom was a long range shooter before the days of the 3-point line.

I am a former assistant to both Brandons and they have a great deal of respect for Smyrna as we are all good friends with Coach Willey. Harry and Campbell had many late night sessions even after games in which they played each other so nothing but respect there. Unless someone has a school name in their handle,and even that may be incorrect, just how do you know which posters are affiliated with which school. If all of your impressions of fans or schools are based on this website then you are very likely wrong about what you perceive to be true.

Priceless you are really too much. Campbell Brandon is one of the most respected coached in the state. Next time the Oakland boys are playing in Campbell Brandon's gym, take a look around at all the banners that were put their by teams that Campbell coached. He won the state championship in 1971 prior to division of school classifications, which is impressive by any standard. Lebanon was always competitive until he retired in the early '90's. The only coach with more wins is the guy from Bradely Central, whose name has left me for the moment. They are currently looking to hire a head coach now..guess what they are looking for...somone to bring the program back to where it was when Campbell was there.

You also commented that there was hatred among the WC coaching staff and Smyrna and you couldn't be more wrong. Bud, Campbell, and Wiley are all really good freinds and I would imagine they have talked several times today and I would be willing to bet big money that Wiley has a copy of the WC/Hillsboro tape from our game earlier this year and probably a sack full of suggestion from Campbell on how to beat them.

Also, you mentioned the Brandon brothers...they are father and son.

As for the comments that you made about the WC fans, we are a proud bunch as we should be. We have had one of the best starts ever for a new school. Made 2 state tournament apperances in the schools 5 year history, hopefully adding a third tonight. Disrespectful? Probably not intentionally. Do we like to have fun? yes. Isn't that part of the fun of a message board to poke a little fun, make bold comments and outrageous predictions?

I am not familar with the water incident that you referred to involving Lavergne. I have probably missed less than 10 WC games, home and away, since the school has been open. I could do some checking and find out if it is true, and it could be, I just don't remember it...BUT, I will say this Smyrna has some of the rudest students that I have ever encountered. Multiple years in a row, WC security has made students leave, although I don't think they had to this year. At the Region Championship game, their students came over and sat right in front of the Wilson Central parents and administration even though there were signs that indicated where they should sit, when the officer asked them to move, they were argumentative and disrepectful, one student in particluar. I really thought they were going to toss a few of the kids out. Eventually, after repeated requests from the WC crowd and our principal, they were made to move to their side. They were also yelling things that I can't post here at the refs. I am not saying that WC kids are perfect because they aren't, but Smyrna kids certainly wouldn't win an award for behavior either.

Neither student body, however, should reflect on the amount of class the girls programs have. It is not fair to compare them in that manner. Riverdale football has a classy program, but I would imagine you would have something negative to say about their fans as well.

The bottom line is this...Wilson Central girls are District Champs, Smyrna girls are Region Champs and we both have teams to beat tonight before we go any further. Both teams have a lot to be proud of and there is nothing anyone can do or say to change the success of either team.

Go Lady Wildcats!!!

I never commented on any of the Smyrna fans at the game....it was my understanding from several WC posts from awhile back that Smyrna has NO fans at the games. Sort of odd how now you are saying otherwise now? I can't comment on any of thst b/c I simply do not know. I do know that the info about the throwing water incident from last yr from WC fans was at regions I believe or maybe District tourney. That info came straight form Lavergne administration....so good luck disputing it.

Sort of humorous that you would bring up Riverdale football on here.....go read some of the locked threads on the football forum about what was said to your WC fans on there. I believe you might have to change your mind on that one. ;) Also if you checked out the actions of several of their Mr Football winners you would also say otherise about some of their character. But that is another board for sure...

All schools have good fans and bad fans. I have said it b/f....WC should be proud of all they have accomplished, but I have talked to enuff folk on this forum that leads me to believe that the same thing is happening there to Lebanon High School that has happened to Oakland High School ( with Siegel).....the town has decided they want a PUBLIC "private" school....and both WC and Siegel are the result.

Glad to hear the Brandon family supports other schools. That is the way it should be. Still say I want my daughter or granddaughter to play for Grandstaff tho.

That is the beauty of the boards....we all have our favorites, don't we? It is challenging to get to try to win others over to our way of thinking isn't it?

Good luck to WC but also to SMYRNA girls.

Edited by 2priceless

As I said before, I try to support the local schools round here. Some have NOT earned my respect, while others have. It makes me VERY angry that Smyrna got a shoddy lil article in the DNJ. A state -ranked team that continues to win DESERVES a PICTURE at least. Guess someone forgot that Riverdale lost last night. You would never know it fromt he press that they got. ( not hating on Riverdale, just angry about the lack of coverage for Smyrna!)

Here is something to chew on.....Smyrna will keep on playing their game with or without any fans. However, it SURE would be nice to see that they PACK their house with LOUD and PROUD fans tmorrow night. Once you see this group of girls play, you will get hooked.

Something that I heard that impressed me...the SHS girls made a tunnel at the regions for the LAVERGNE boys as they made their quest for the Region champ too, this being AFTER the SHS girls won their own title. Please NOTE.....Lavergne is Smyrna's MOST bitter rival. How many WC players would do that for MJ??

LAST I CHECKED, SMYRNA GETS AN ARTICLE IT SEEMS EVERYDAY IN THE TENNESSEAN. THEY PROBABLY GET MORE PRESS THAN ANYBODY AROUND HERE BESIDES HARPETH HALL! ;)

Edited by inthaknow