Region 3-4A

chsOL68

Maryville concensus #1. To much experience coming back. These guys are winners and they have a coach that gets them motivated week in and week out.

Central #2 ? I now think these guys could be in jeopardy. I gauge this from the Halls freshman playing toe to toe with the Central Freshman last year. They are not head and shoulders above the competition any more. I do agree they have the most experience returning after Maryville. Could the loss of Gaston & Helton be to much? I really think so.

West #3 ? I have a gut feeling these guys will put together a dynamic season and surprise most people. Their question mark is defense. Their offense may rate up there with Maryville next year. Speed is outstanding in the wideout and running back positions. I have a feeling Jake Ryan may even lead this team to the #2 spot. I just don't think Halls or Powell can stop this kind of pass happy offense. They even pass to the waterboy for fun.

Powell #4. My heart says Halls but when I really thought about were Powell is and what they have returning it edges Halls out. The main key will be how the new coach settles in and gets the team ready to play. Huffaker is a accomplished runner and still has a good line in front of him. Huffaker over Pevy by a whisker.

Halls #5. Young, talented but untested. Roll the dice on them. No experience on defense and the loss of Lucas at QB could spell trouble for Sophomore head coach Julian. The burden will ultimately fall on the offensive side of the ball. The offensive line experience and the running game will have to carry this team and take pressure off a very young defense. The biggest question is who will Don Ward select at QB to run the offense and throw to their wideouts? Still they will be in contention and any upsets above them could earn them a playoff spot. They will be ready in 2007. :rolleyes:

#6 Lenoir City #7 South Doyle #8 Clinton

Region3-4A as before will continue to be one of the toughest regions in the state. I would put your first five against any other regions five. It will be interesting to see how these teams do offensively with new QB's. Each team returns with solid players to build around.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central #2 ? I now think these guys could be in jeopardy. I gauge this from the Halls freshman playing toe to toe with the Central Freshman last year. They are not head and shoulders above the competition any more. quote

How is a three Td loss standing toe to toe, man Jamie Wilson made the RedDevils look inept in this game. Central returns a strong Senior class but the rising Junior class may be the WEAKEST Fountain City has seen in years. Look for several rising Sophomores to contribute as the Cats chase Maryville for the region title. Maryville will be the favorite until Quarles and Company decide to move on.

Knox Central replaces a lot of key players this year. Not sure if they can recover from that many loses. Might find themselves in a spot they have'nt been in a while ; trying to make the playoffs.

Who do they return at the skill positions? Those positions have always been a strength and tough to defend.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Maryville-same ole, same ole

2. Central-same as Maryville

3. Powell-moves up with Lowe

4. West-Cummings year to get above us

5. Halls-goes from many starters returning to very, very, few

6. South Doyle-shows some life

7. Clinton-a little life

8. Lenoir City-check for pulse, needs to get back to 3a

Lacking in tallent, ability, skill etc. There will be VERY few major contributors in the class, I certainly am not picking on anyone, just my observations from following the Cats for many years. I think the 06 team will see most of the contributions coming from the seniors and a very tallented rising sophomore class.

well hopefully that class will prove u wrong there is alot of great tallent in that class 2 returning starters in that class and 1 guy that started sometimes

West #3 ? I have a gut feeling these guys will put together a dynamic season and surprise most people. Their question mark is defense. Their offense may rate up there with Maryville next year. Speed is outstanding in the wideout and running back positions. I have a feeling Jake Ryan may even lead this team to the #2 spot. I just don't think Halls or Powell can stop this kind of pass happy offense. They even pass to the waterboy for fun.

I have to agree with you on this one. West is a very good and underated team. If you guys remeber in the West Maryville game, before half time it was very close. I think 14-12 or something. They also gave a really good game to the jv of maryville. They have a really good offensive coach that really but together a nice veir offense wich gave us fits. I really think they will cut out Centrl for the #2 pot. The only thing that is their big down fall is thier deffense. It really is not very confetional.

Their Quater Back is very versitle, The coaches have set wide splits so the offensive line only has to block for about a second to were the defense just picks a side and the running back cuts in the whole created by the deffensive line running to far up field. I tis a quick strick offense designed to run strait at good deffenses, such as Maryville, Central, and Halls. I doubt they will get beat by Halls, Powell, or maybe even Central, but you never know. Just dont be suprised to see them win of fiew game this next up comming season.

Edited by rebelman16

Well playing in this region last year i feel like i have a pretty good grip on how things should play out.

1. Maryville. No need for an explanation here i would imagine. They have been dominant for a while and if GQ can win the region last year he souldn't have much of a problem winning it this year. Losing Tucker among others hurts but the rebs still sit atop my preseason rankings.

2. West. These guys are better then the name makes you think. They bring back unbelieveable talent on the offensive side of the ball and will fly around on defense. They run a split back offense similar to Maryville's and run it very well. Two very very good backs returning from last year and at least one reciever who was a stud. They lose Sanders, their QB from last year that could hurt but still should have enough talent for coach Cummings to get them home field in the first round of the playoffs.

3. Central. Still a lot of talent left on that roster. They lose Helton and Gaston which hurts pretty bad, but they have a tailback who i believe is going to be a sophomore who is going to be a nightmare for DC's over the next three years. Kenny Cruz is going to have to step up and be a big time playmaker for them as he moves into the starting QB role for the bobcats.

4. Powell. Bring back some talent with huffaker in the backfield and bruhin and mcgaha along the line. Daniel Evans a DE/OT, and Jared "Tex" Clemmons look to be other bright spots on this team with Tex pushing Huffy for the starting RB job. Jonathan Price, a JR WR/DB starting since his freshman year, returns from foot surgery after breaking it in the South Doyle game last year. He needs to have a big year as the anchor of the defensive backfield for the panthers to make the playoffs. The defense carried this team last year and this year looks like more of the same. Jordan Lakin returns as a four year starter and anchor of the linebacking corps. flanked by JR Jordan Allen and SR Randy Loope both hardnosed scrappy football players. Need to find some DB's to step up (Ben Butler and Matt Beam are names to watch for) and Matt Abba has to grow up in a hurry to fill the shoes of Cody Watts at QB. Coach Lowe may go through some growing pains but is the smartest football mind i have ever personally been around.

5. Halls. If coach Julian thought it was a tough job last year he's in for a whole new kind of challenge. Halls is losing everything from a team that barely snuck in to the playoffs last year. I have a lot of respect for what Coach Julian was able to do last year, but i don't think his wand has enough magic in it to will this overmatched team into the playoffs. A lot of young guys look to get some playing time so watch out for the Devils to get a lot better as the year goes on and be a force over the next couple of years in the region.

6. South- Doyle. I don't claim to know much about these bottom three in the region. South-Doyle appears to have the most athletes on the football field of the three so i give them the edge over the dragons and LC panthers. Could possibly out athlete halls and steal a win but its doubtful.

7. Clinton. Needs to get some of the athletes off the hardwood and onto the football field. Lots of talent in the halls not much in the trenches. Pretty good coaching with not much to work with.

8. Lenior City. These panthers are still struggling to catch up to the speed of the region. Played well at times but losing Hightower makes it impossible to pick them anywhere but last. Rommel was their best offensive and defensive player last year. I don't see them climbing out of the cellar anytime soon.

Please post if u feel im horribly off base but i feel i have a pretty good understanding of how things should shake down.

Edited by Panthers08

I think your assements on the teams is pretty good, Panthers08. However, I still feel that Central will lock down the 2nd spot again this coming season. Most of Central's D line returns as well as Josh Owens at linebacker. Central always has a lot of skill/ speed type guys to play in the secondary, so they should be OK there. Cruze and Wilson will be very good in the backfield. To me, the biggest concern is on the O line. 2 guys return and some other players will have to step up. West and Central don't play until late in the year so there are a lot of things that could happen between now and then to change things.

Yea i played some little league ball with Josh. He's been a gamer since i've known him. He should have a big year. Losing longworth and Nance is a big shot to the cats though. And Byrd and the group of srs along the oline that are leaving really worked well together. You raise a good point about west and central meeting late in the season. Those young cats will have a lot of Friday night experience by then. I heard there may have been an issue with cruz at school. Not trying to start anything, i want to emphasize that. I JUST HEARD that something happened. I am trusting that if something truely did happen that medman or chsol will have the info so please dont go shooting ur mouth off about a situation u know nothing about. Sorry i have strong feelings about that sort of thing. oh yea and does owens take over at FB now that Dyer is gone?

• 2 weeks later...