Hampton's Year in Sports

Lord Vader

Talk was two years ago that LT or NS should be coaching Hampton. I know Ned would do anything to coach the Bulldogs. He was passed over at Elizabethton and Boone, and guess what, he's the only team in NET other than Greeneville going down this week. Smith does it White style and wins without any superstar players. In five years at Cloudland - okay y'all remember how bad Cloudland basketball was before Ned - he gave them their first District Title since 1968 in 2003 - won co-conference titles in 2002-2003-2004 - won District and Regional this season with perhaps his second-least talented squad. From what I hear, if no changes are made two of Hampton's top returning players will be on the Mountain playing for Smith next season. LT, imo, is the best boys coach in the county at any level. That's just my opinion.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk was two years ago that LT or NS should be coaching Hampton. I know Ned would do anything to coach the Bulldogs. He was passed over at Elizabethton and Boone, and guess what, he's the only team in NET other than Greeneville going down this week. Smith does it White style and wins without any superstar players. In five years at Cloudland - okay y'all remember how bad Cloudland basketball was before Ned - he gave them their first District Title since 1968 in 2003 - won co-conference titles in 2002-2003-2004 - won District and Regional this season with perhaps his second-least talented squad. From what I hear, if no changes are made two of Hampton's top returning players will be on the Mountain playing for Smith next season. LT, imo, is the best boys coach in the county at any level. That's just my opinion.

Thanks acdcfan for that insight. You are correct in all your assessments. I too have heard the rumors that if nothing is done that people will be leaving or just not playing. This is the class that was supposed to bring Hampton basketball back into the limelight, but all the talent in the world doesn't matter if you don't know what to do with it. We'll just have to wait and see what happens if anything.

Football team had a great year. Girls bball did well. Boys bball were pitiful considering they were in 1A this year they really suprised me with how bad they were. Baseball...well they will be same ole crappy Hampton. They will finish 3rd but just because the conference is horrible!!!! I wouldnt say it was a SPECTACULAR year for Hampton sports it was just a spectacular football year thats it

Football team had a great year. Girls bball did well. Boys bball were pitiful considering they were in 1A this year they really suprised me with how bad they were. Baseball...well they will be same ole crappy Hampton. They will finish 3rd but just because the conference is horrible!!!! I wouldnt say it was a SPECTACULAR year for Hampton sports it was just a spectacular football year thats it

They still did better than anybody in sports in east tennessee, there is no question.

Hampton Has had a Spectacular year in sports!! You cant take that from the kids.Football-Final 4, Basketball -Final 16, Girls basketball Final 8, Im sure the baseball and softball teams will also do well regaurdless of how weak the conferance is. I dont know of any teams in the area that have done this well As a hole. Sure theres some changes that could be made, but dont take away from the kids.

I had heard LT's name mentioned before as someone who may show up at Cloudland. I don't see that happening now unless a nice situation comes open for Ned and/or Carpenter. I will say this though, Cloudland has a better run of athletic talent from the seventh grade down to the third grade than it has ever had. These young kids have potential and three of the classes could be better than Mark Byrd's class. They are deep, especially in football. I will go on record as saying within the next ten years, Cloudland will win a state championship in football. The basketball talent is there too. IF they keep this "team ball" mentality - they could be back in the state tournament as soon as next year, especially if one of Hampton's "big players" makes the move up to the mountain. As of now, if LT comes up to the mountain it would be a good situation and I know the people on the mountain would love to have him. He is an excellent coach and has his players ready. I could just imagine the things he would have done with the talent on the high school team as their head coach. I'll say this, they would've probably fared better that's for sure.

I had heard LT's name mentioned before as someone who may show up at Cloudland. I don't see that happening now unless a nice situation comes open for Ned and/or Carpenter. I will say this though, Cloudland has a better run of athletic talent from the seventh grade down to the third grade than it has ever had. These young kids have potential and three of the classes could be better than Mark Byrd's class. They are deep, especially in football. I will go on record as saying within the next ten years, Cloudland will win a state championship in football. The basketball talent is there too. IF they keep this "team ball" mentality - they could be back in the state tournament as soon as next year, especially if one of Hampton's "big players" makes the move up to the mountain. As of now, if LT comes up to the mountain it would be a good situation and I know the people on the mountain would love to have him. He is an excellent coach and has his players ready. I could just imagine the things he would have done with the talent on the high school team as their head coach. I'll say this, they would've probably fared better that's for sure.

who is the "big player" that you are referring to if you dont mind saying? i havent heard anyone talking about going to cloudland nxt yr.. do you think there is a chance in LT going to cloudland?

I can't say. I've heard the same rumors you have. I've heard as an assistant to Ned and as the new junior high coach. Then I've heard of Ned going elsewhere and LT taking the top job. These are probably untrue rumors, but still.

The player I am referring to is an inside productive scorer who would compliment Cloudland well. I'm not going to mention any names b/c I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Highlander uniform. lol.

I can't say. I've heard the same rumors you have. I've heard as an assistant to Ned and as the new junior high coach. Then I've heard of Ned going elsewhere and LT taking the top job. These are probably untrue rumors, but still.

The player I am referring to is an inside productive scorer who would compliment Cloudland well. I'm not going to mention any names b/c I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Highlander uniform. lol.

will the player you are referring to benifit cloudlands football team too? and about the rumor that leon may be coaching the landers, i really dont see him coaching cloudland if he passed on the hampton job. i think he wants to coach his kids so i would guess that he will stick around at the elementary for a while, but who knows?