USJ Athletics in trouble!

OC_ALUM_94

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:) It was just reported on a sports talk show in West Tennessee that USJ will have to return their state championship in baseball from last year. Sources say that officials at the school have turned themselves in to the TSSAA for paying tuition to athletes. :)

If that is what was reported, then the facts are wrong!!!

USJ self reported that 2 athletes who were on last year's team were more than 60 days late in paying their tuition at some point in the season. The school did not pay anyone's tuition!!! This was discovered in January of this year by USJ and was immediately self reported.

Before other rumors get started, all 2006 Spring sports athletes are current in paying their tuition.

USJ took the high road and I am proud of how the situation was handled.

If that is what was reported, then the facts are wrong!!!

USJ self reported that 2 athletes who were on last year's team were more than 60 days late in paying their tuition at some point in the season. The school did not pay anyone's tuition!!! This was discovered in January of this year by USJ and was immediately self reported.

Before other rumors get started, all 2006 Spring sports athletes are current in paying their tuition.

USJ took the high road and I am proud of how the situation was handled.

Are the players who were involved on this years team?

Actually, from what I have heard, USJ is going to be in a heap of trouble for this. Is is not the damage controlled thing you folks are talking about. USJ has lost their Championship ball from last year according to reports, and will have to forfeit all of their football games from this past season. If that is because two kids were late on tuition, I might eat my hat. I think USJ should be banned from all TSSAA STate Tournament for at least 5-10 years for even attempting to pay a child's tuition.

Edited by dudeutm2002

Actually, from what I have heard, USJ is going to be in a heap of trouble for this. Is is not the damage controlled thing you folks are talking about. USJ has lost their Championship ball from last year according to reports, and will have to forfeit all of their football games from this past season. If that is because two kids were late on tuition, I might eat my hat. I think USJ should be banned from all TSSAA STate Tournament for at least 5-10 years for even attempting to pay a child's tuition.

HMMMMMMMM, for so odd reason their Headmaster Steve Maloan resigned last week and in today's Jackson Sun for headmaster Don Coffey was rehired!!!!!!!!!!!!!The timing looks very suscipious! <_<

Then you better start chewing on that hat because that is the truth. Again, USJ did not pay anybody's tuition. Two families that were struggling with finances were 60+ days late in paying their tuition. The kids knew nothing about it and the Coaches knew nothing about it. The easy thing for USJ to have done would have been to pay the tuition and sweep it under the rug but they didn't.

My guess is every Private school in the State has similiar situations. Contrary to popular belief all families that send their kids to USJ are not rich. Believe it or not, people lose their jobs and divorces happen even with Private school families.

It says a lot about USJ that they self-reported. I doubt many (if any) others would have done so. Before any other Private schools start throwing stones you might want to check your books.

Edited by necvol

I don't think this is a good topic to be discussing until the facts are all there. Rumors won't help the players who are just wanting to play ball.

Nor will it help the parents that are legitimately paying their kids tuition in order to attend and play sports there.

Edited by Old Timer

It says a lot about USJ that they self-reported. I doubt many (if any) others would have done so. Before any other Private schools start throwing stones you might want to check your books.

With all due respect, I think many supporters of other private schools in the state, myself included, will take offense to the comment in bold.

With all due respect, I think many supporters of other private schools in the state, myself included, will take offense to the comment in bold.

Maybe, but have your school's 2005 books been fully reviewed for similiar occurrances? If so, and no similiar finings were discovered then please accept my apology for such a broad statement. If not, you might want to check it out!!!

Is Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA coming to USJ to take the trophy back from the baseball program? If so then maybe the TSSAA needs to start checking out what the other schools are doing.

Looks like it is time for USJ to go D-II. If they are going to let parents slide then why not go ahead and do the complete private thing and get teams in all sports to kick everyone's butt that keeps getting on here and putting the school down.

The kids won the State and Congrads to them but the parents that couldn't pay the money knew what was happening and now the bad thing caught up with then.

With all of the heat that USJ was in last year looks like there is somebody on the inside that is mad for whatever reason and it keeps the HEAT on the school.

If USJ gets banned from sports for 4 to 10 years then USJ will be in big trouble to keep the doors open. The kids will start leaving to go to JCS or Trinity Christian or back to their County and playing f.or their local schools. Gibson Co. Milan, Haywood Co.,Lexington or even Parsons.

Edited by Blue and Gold