? Don't get it ?

luvthagame

I just don't understand, if you can help me, please do. Why is it some coaches think just because a girl is a Senior, they should be the 'leader' of the team. Am I crazy or is there more to being a leader than the fact you are a Senior. Knowing the game, being a team player, supporting the underclassmen, taking control - to me those should be some of the qualities. Whether you are a Junior, Sophomore, or even a Freshmen, if you have the 'whole' deal, you are just as important. Alot of coaches want the girls to 'jell'. But some have the mindset the older girls are just better, and that is not always the case. If the JV team plays, shouldn't the older girls not be on the fence in the dugout cheering for them just as hard and not be in the dugout with cell phones and playing around. Isn't that what being a true 'team' is all about? Not favoring the players differently just because they are older. Don't misunderstand, some of you may say I am just mad parent, that's not the case. My daugther is starting. It's just an observation. What do you guys think?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, good topic. There was a situation this year where a girl (clearly THE leader) wasn't 'team elected' as a captain, but was made captain by the coach every game of the season due to injuries, etc. of the ones who were 'elected' by the team. Same school, different sport, the same girl was 'named' a captain by the coach and no vote of the team was taken.

I read about a girl at White House-Heritage in Robertson Co. that was named a captain by the coach during the season because, in crunch time, she was the go-to girl on the team and everybody looked to her. She was a Freshman during the season that just concluded.

I agree with you. The grade of the player shouldn't make a difference, but some coaches are weak and fall under the 'popular' spell. Some players are just mature leaders, whether they're Freshmen or Seniors. These situations usually play out during the season and the real leaders emerge. The fake ones (who politic and run a campaign based on a platform of Most Popular)? Well, they usually quit and do something else...like modeling :ph34r: or whatever.

This is a hot topic for me. I would like to change it a bit to Seniority.

Can we not allow are children to wait their turn. Understand you don't always get things quickly, and you have to work hard, maybe even serve some time. This is high school, winning is always important, but a child's self esteem is more important. If they are good enough to play college ball (a small %) let them then beat out upper classman for position or leadership roles.

What I mean is this.

My nephew's son played football for 3 years. That means money to the program, fund raisers, and parents taking the kid to and from practice. When he got to be a junior, a freshman got his position. I am talking equal talent.

What message does that send to your child about committment? Coaches need to respect their players. Do not keep allowing players to make your team each year if you don't plan on playing them. Cut them quick!. There is a small percentage of high school students who just want to be on the team and ,hang out in the dugout, including watching underclassman playing in front of them.

Back to the Captain...

Yes there are underclassmen that have leadership. But I guarantee there is a senior on a high school team that has some leadership. It may be a silent leader or a loud one. I agree coaches should make that decision, right or wrong. Ladies sports and their parents can be very brutal. My advice is to reward the senior with the captain position. It's only high school, and remember the coach is making all the major decisions and should be providing a majority of the positive motivation if he/she is truely a "good coach" and don't forget, and good educator.

One more thing, imagine how it would feel it you worked at your job for 10 years,and new person joins the company with the same credentials. Suppose there is an new position that would be a promotion for you, and you apply for it. What if that new person, new to to company with the same credentials gets the position. How do you feel?

Just like my nephew, or just like that senior was hoping to be captain. :thumb:

Can we not allow are children to wait their turn. Understand you don't always get things quickly, and you have to work hard, maybe even serve some time. This is high school, winning is always important, but a child's self esteem is more important. If they are good enough to play college ball (a small %) let them then beat out upper classman for position or leadership roles.

What I mean is this.

My nephew's son played football for 3 years. That means money to the program, fund raisers, and parents taking the kid to and from practice. When he got to be a junior, a freshman got his position. I am talking equal talent.

What message does that send to your child about committment? Coaches need to respect their players. Do not keep allowing players to make your team each year if you don't plan on playing them. Cut them quick!. There is a small percentage of high school students who just want to be on the team and ,hang out in the dugout, including watching underclassman playing in front of them.

Back to the Captain...

Yes there are underclassmen that have leadership. But I guarantee there is a senior on a high school team that has some leadership. It may be a silent leader or a loud one. I agree coaches should make that decision, right or wrong. Ladies sports and their parents can be very brutal. My advice is to reward the senior with the captain position. It's only high school, and remember the coach is making all the major decisions and should be providing a majority of the positive motivation if he/she is truely a "good coach" and don't forget, and good educator.

One more thing, imagine how it would feel it you worked at your job for 10 years,and new person joins the company with the same credentials. Suppose there is an new position that would be a promotion for you, and you apply for it. What if that new person, new to to company with the same credentials gets the position. How do you feel?

A lot of schools call it " Senior Captain". This way it goes to a Senior. Then you have co-capitains.

What I mean is this.

Back to the Captain...

Did you mean "Same credentials" or same capabilities ..... it makes a big difference.

Did you mean "Same credentials" or same capabilities ..... it makes a big difference.

Sumnercounty:

I agree with you totally. Maybe even a year ago I would have said that I didn't, but here I am with a daughter that is an underclassman. She has a lot of talent and ability. She works hard and is a silent leader by her work ethic. She is competing for 3 positions, all of which are held by upperclassmen. I asked her how she felt about the whole thing and her reply was, "we are close in ability so they should get the start and majority of the playing time." i said what if you are better? she said "even if i am a little bit better they should get the start". so how can i argue that? these older girls are good mentors and are showing my daughter the ropes. she won't get to play as much this year as she would like to. (all competetive people want to play). but she is soaking it all in and is grateful for the opportunity to come in to the game in whatever the situation may be. she is already being rewarded for her attitude by coming in the game when it's tight and she can make a difference. and the seniors were her loudest cheerleaders. there is such a thing as seniority and paying your dues and the upper classman should have the opportunity. if they don't choose to take that opportunity, then that is their fault. i have told my daughter that if she plays for 1 inning make sure she hustles more, goes after everything and does her absolute best for that 1 inning so later when the coach thinks about her he will say that she is really giving it her all. it's that way in life. if you are lucky enough to get an opportunity, give it all you can. but, don't begrudge a girl that has worked for 4 years to get the start at a position. hard work does pay off and get rewarded. it's not always immediate, and may not be this season but it will be rewarded.

My personal opinion - -

To be a great leader you must FIRST be a great "follower" and a student of the game, occupation, etc.

Taking the time to observe (other good and bad leaders), learn from their good deeds and mistakes . . . these are the tools and skills that make good and great leaders with time invested.

That's way seniors (90% of the time) make the best leaders; especially the ones who have been great followers. Great followers are as important as great leaders!

I like the idea of having Senior captians... however, if there isn't a Senior who is willing to step up into that leadership role, then I see no problem in naming an underclassmen as the captain or co-captains. To borrow a phrase from my favorite movie "Attitude reflects leadership" and I think that the reverse is true as well. To be a leader you must have the right attitude, not necessarily have the best athleticism. Naming a Senior as captain is not saying that he/she is the best player athletically. The coach is saying that this player exhibits the good character, good work ethic and positive attitude that is wanted on the team. You would hope that Seniors (who are less than a year away from entering the "real" world) would be more willing to step up and take the leadership role. The biggest obstacle to overcome when playing team sports is understanding your role on the team. Not eveyone can be the leading scorer or the stand out player. Some of the best "Team Leaders" that I have seen have sat the bench for most of their careers because they lacked the athletic ability to beat out other players for playing time. Yet the attitude that they exhibited during practice, the academic and social successes that they had off the court/playing field and the unselfish way they accepted their role on the team made them more of a leader than most of the players that were leading in scoring or batting average or whatever category it might be. Each coach or team chooses a captain according to a certain criteria. Parents/players should ask the coach what the criteria is and respect the coaches decision as long as they remain consistent with the established criteria.

I agree just because you are a Senior or Junior doesn't mean anything. I have seen alot of leadership from freshmen this year. So class stature doesn't matter.

Good thread. :thumb:

I just don't understand, if you can help me, please do. Why is it some coaches think just because a girl is a Senior, they should be the 'leader' of the team. Am I crazy or is there more to being a leader than the fact you are a Senior. Knowing the game, being a team player, supporting the underclassmen, taking control - to me those should be some of the qualities. Whether you are a Junior, Sophomore, or even a Freshmen, if you have the 'whole' deal, you are just as important. Alot of coaches want the girls to 'jell'. But some have the mindset the older girls are just better, and that is not always the case. If the JV team plays, shouldn't the older girls not be on the fence in the dugout cheering for them just as hard and not be in the dugout with cell phones and playing around. Isn't that what being a true 'team' is all about? Not favoring the players differently just because they are older. Don't misunderstand, some of you may say I am just mad parent, that's not the case. My daugther is starting. It's just an observation. What do you guys think?

Parents should stay out of high school athletics period! That's initially where all problems start.l