Proposed Sport Calandar 2007-08

cobracoach

would of loved to see them change softball to the fall like GA, then you could actually take off during the spring, and girls on travel could practice with their teams in the spring instead of going in cold right after state. It is also usually warmer during the fall.

I strongly agree, Swap the volleyball and softball seasons. Volleyball is played indoors in some of the best weather of the year.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By looking at the schedule of one of our top midstate teams it is easy to tell how much cutting the number of games from 36 to 34 would probably ruin the program. Especially since, as of today, they have already played 34 games since opening day and by Saturday night that number will be at 38 and climbing. All within the rules, mind you:

Riverdale

2006 Softball Schedule

Division 1, Class AAA

District 7, Region 4

Murfreesboro, TN

Mon Mar. 13 at Oakland D W 13-0

Thu Mar. 16 Goodpasture Commando Classic L 1-2

Thu Mar. 16 Bolton Commando Classic W 2-1

Fri Mar. 17 Hendersonville Commando Classic W 4-1

Fri Mar. 17 Dickson Co. Commando Classic W 5-2

Sat Mar. 18 Greenbrier Commando Classic W 7-0

Sat Mar. 18 Creek Wood Commando Classic W 13-0

Sat Mar. 18 St. Benedict Commando Classic L 1-3

Sat Mar. 18 St. Benedict Commando Classic W 2-0

Sat Mar. 18 Hixson Commando Classic W 2-0

Sat Mar. 18 Franklin Co. Commando Classic W 8-0

Mon Mar. 20 Blackman D W 2-0

Tue Mar. 21 at Cookeville D W 13-0

Thu Mar. 23 Westview MTSCA W 13-1

Thu Mar. 23 Cullman, AL MTSCA W 3-0

Fri Mar. 24 Lexington MTSCA W 5-0

Fri Mar. 24 Tullahoma MTSCA W 7-0

Fri Mar. 24 Lincoln Co. MTSCA W 2-1

Fri Mar. 24 Blackman MTSCA W 4-1

Sat Mar. 25 Giles Co. MTSCA L 1-14

Sat Mar. 25 Warren Co. MTSCA W 3-1

Sat Mar. 25 Chester Co. MTSCA W 2-1

Sat Mar. 25 Marshall Co. MTSCA W 8-0

Mon Mar. 27 at Warren Co. D W 13-0

Tue Mar. 28 at Siegel D W 4-0

Thu Mar. 30 N. Augusta, SC Worth Tourney W 7-0

Thu Mar. 30 Walhalla, SC The Worth W 2-0

Sat Apr. 1 Hoover, AL The Worth W 1-0

Sat Apr. 1 Owensboro Catholic Worth Tourney T 2-2

Sat Apr. 1 Vilonia,AR Worth Tourney L 0-7

Mon Apr. 3 Lebanon D W 2-0

Wed Apr. 5 at Dickson Co. W 11-0

Mon Apr. 10 Warren Co. D W 11-1

Wed Apr. 12 Oakland D W 10-0

Fri Apr. 14 Summertown Border Battle

Fri Apr. 14 Shelbyville Border Battle

Sat Apr. 15 Brentwood Border Battle

Sat Apr. 15 Millington Border Battle

Mon Apr. 17 at Lebanon D

Tue Apr. 18 Siegel D

Thu Apr. 20 Cookeville D

Fri Apr. 21 Christian Co, KY Lady Colonel

Fri Apr. 21 Lafayette, KY Lady Colonel

Tue Apr. 25 at Blackman D

Thu Apr. 27 Wilson Central

Mon May. 1 at Coffee Co.

Tue May. 2 at Goodpasture

Overall Record: 29-4-1

District Record: 8-0

Region Record: 8-0

would of loved to see them change softball to the fall like GA, then you could actually take off during the spring, and girls on travel could practice with their teams in the spring instead of going in cold right after state. It is also usually warmer during the fall.

Weather sure has cut back on their games. And just think- if you played in the fall the state finals could be played in the snow. That would be fun.

Edited by larry

tournys only count as four games toward your schedule even if you play 8 games in the tournament. Plus you did not count the pre-season and scrimmages they have played. SBA played close to 30 games preseason. Last year our team ended up playing close to 70 games with all the tournys,districts, state. I should be left up to the individual high schools to determine how many they want to play. The schools that are not interested in getting any better are only required to play their district games.

Last year our team ended up playing close to 70 games with all the tournys,districts, state. I should be left up to the individual high schools to determine how many they want to play.

Looks like it already is. Don't worry. No matter what the changes, you'll find a way around them.

I have met some really great kids over the years, through softball. What a difference they could make in the important things if only they had time.

Edited by larry

Looks like it already is. Don't worry. No matter what the changes, you'll find a way around them.

I have met some really great kids over the years, through softball. What a difference they could make in the important things if only they had time.

Yea if only they had more free time to be out unsupervised in their formative years at the mall or at Raves you know just hanging out. My kids grew up at the ball park or in a gym around their teammates, caring coaches and with their family there watching and cheering them on. If only they had the opportunity to be free from all of that discipline that helped shape them into responsible adults.

Yea if only they had more free time to be out unsupervised in their formative years at the mall or at Raves you know just hanging out. My kids grew up at the ball park or in a gym around their teammates, caring coaches and with their family there watching and cheering them on. If only they had the opportunity to be free from all of that discipline that helped shape them into responsible adults.

Great response....I agree completely.

So if your kids had not played sports, or had more free time, you would have turned them loose at the mall? Could church, or school activities, or volunteer work, or a part-time job have helped fill that void? It is either sports or the mall or Raves?

Why is it necessary for players to always play with the same players? What would be wrong with playing fall ball (I personally don't like fall ball but figure it is none of my business) with players from other teams? Wouldn't you meet and get to know other players, other families, other coaches, and see different skills? Is part of the problem that if you combine players from different areas/schools on one team that some of them would not get to play every inning, every game?

So if your kids had not played sports, or had more free time, you would have turned them loose at the mall? Could church, or school activities, or volunteer work, or a part-time job have helped fill that void? It is either sports or the mall or Raves?

In church every Sunday or had worship service on the road at tournaments. Worked every summer with the flexability of their employer to have time out for athletics. Stayed real busy. Played college softball and was NFCA Academic All American. We didn't have many voids to fill. I'm not saying sports are the only involvement that have a positive influence on kids. Yes there are other activities centering around church, band, chorus etc. I'm sure my kids would not have been allowed too much latitude however there is a lot of peer pressure out there if kids are allowed too much idol time.

Edited by std

Why is it necessary for players to always play with the same players? What would be wrong with playing fall ball (I personally don't like fall ball but figure it is none of my business) with players from other teams? Wouldn't you meet and get to know other players, other families, other coaches, and see different skills? Is part of the problem that if you combine players from different areas/schools on one team that some of them would not get to play every inning, every game?

I think the best challenge my daughter ever had was her 15 y/o summer going to play on a team where she knew absolutely no one on the team. It made her take her play up a notch.

I think the best challenge my daughter ever had was her 15 y/o summer going to play on a team where she knew absolutely no one on the team. It made her take her play up a notch.

I'm thinking that my daughter would have gotten more out of playing with different players instead of the same ones time and again. Are we not making too big a deal out of the fact that only 5 players from a certain hs team can play together in the fall on a non-school team? Is it just that parents don't want to be told who their kids can or can't play with?

I would like to see Lawrence Co, Loretto, and Summertown players who are not involved in volleyball or basketball play together on a fall team, if you have to have fall teams. I think that would be helpful to all three schools.

I'm thinking that my daughter would have gotten more out of playing with different players instead of the same ones time and again. Are we not making too big a deal out of the fact that only 5 players from a certain hs team can together in the fall on a non-school team? Is it just that parents don't want to be told who their kids can or can't play with?

It's coaches wanting control.