should teams run the score up just becauser they can?

The Knights are based out of Pope John Paul II. As far as I know they are mostly a school team with a few exceptions.

One "problem" that can happen when a team pulls into a half court press, there are no defenders back when the steals take place. At least there are players back when a team presses full court.

CPGB06, you're probably right about them needing to play Division II. Going on what I know, they would be able to compete much better in D2.

The Knights did participate in D2 last year as 13u, finishing 2nd in the state behind Memphis Elite. They then went to D2 Nationals.

The big difference for them this year is that they are almost 100% a different team.

If I am not mistaken only two players are from last years team. This is not a fault of the coaching or the program ( I know how people on this board like to make assumptions). Many of the players elected to do Spring ball with groups from their High Schools. A couple players played up last year and I believe they went to there own age groups and a few were traveling considerable miles to play.

The biggest difference is that Pride is at a different level than just about any team in the state. There are only a few teams in the state that can match up to them. Looking at the brackets it seems the Knights won a game to advance to play Pride. So it appears they can compete with other teams.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest difference is that Pride is at a different level than just about any team in the state. There are only a few teams in the state that can match up to them. Looking at the brackets it seems the Knights won a game to advance to play Pride. So it appears they can compete with other teams.

Good observation. :thumb:

The reason that Tiffany’s 14U Team Pride ran a press during the first half with her girls that do not get as much court time as other girls is so that they could gain a better understanding of court position in a game environment. It is one thing to play with intensity, it is completely another to play with an understanding of where you are suppose to be during a set. For game such as this one, you can only hope that the girls playing gain this understanding regardless of the competition. These girls might not get this real game experience with a team more in line with our so-called first team. Furthermore, you cannot play against yourself all the time.

I have no knowledge of the Knights or how that got to this game. It would be my hope that during this game, they gained a better understanding of how this level of basketball is played, and take back something to improve their game. I wish them all the best!

Regardless, the game is over, and Tiffany is still working on making each one of the girls on her team a better player. Isn’t that what AAU is suppose to be about?

The reason that Tiffany’s 14U Team Pride ran a press during the first half with her girls that do not get as much court time as other girls is so that they could gain a better understanding of court position in a game environment. It is one thing to play with intensity, it is completely another to play with an understanding of where you are suppose to be during a set. For game such as this one, you can only hope that the girls playing gain this understanding regardless of the competition. These girls might not get this real game experience with a team more in line with our so-called first team. Furthermore, you cannot play against yourself all the time.

I have no knowledge of the Knights or how that got to this game. It would be my hope that during this game, they gained a better understanding of how this level of basketball is played, and take back something to improve their game. I wish them all the best!

Regardless, the game is over, and Tiffany is still working on making each one of the girls on her team a better player. Isn’t that what AAU is suppose to be about?

I think we will have to agree to disagree. You should not press a team you are beating by more than 30. For me, it is just a matter of decency. I do not care whether it is REC, AAU or the NBA.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. You should not press a team you are beating by more than 30. For me, it is just a matter of decency. I do not care whether it is REC, AAU or the NBA.

I have no ambition to gain your agreement with me. You accused Tiffany of being an indecent person because of the outcome of the game. I merely took the opportunity to offer an explaination of what occurred from a Team Pride prespective, in as much as you offer your thoughts from a Knight's prespective.

Team Pride has the right to take something away from the game. It wasn't the Knight's game and Team Pride just showed up. Pride paid the same amount for the game as the Knights and this is the competition that Pride got... not worth the money spent. So, as a coach, you try to take something of worth away fom the game.

What you do not understand is that Tiffany did hold her team back an enormous amount due to her sympathy in what was occuring, or as you say, in a manner of decency. If she played her first team the entire way without a full court press, the score might have been much, much worse. You should actually be thankful that the score was not worse than it was.

Now, I suppose you would like for me to give *you* the ball for an easy lay-up, because you will see this post as being much too harsh.

Amen to that. :thumb:

I don't have this years roster yet. I have last years roster in my hand and I understand that there are a few changes. The names I see are of kids that play 100% all the time. :lol:

The Pride kids are just doing what they practice. :lol:

Who is on the Pride roster?

I have no ambition to gain your agreement with me. You accused Tiffany of being an indecent person because of the outcome of the game.

Now, I suppose you would like for me to give *you* the ball for an easy lay-up, because you will see this post as being much too harsh.

I never called Tiffany "indecent" so stop putting words in my mouth. I have no clue what Tiffany did since I did not see the game. What I said was that it was indecent to press when you are up by 30 points. For you to be arguing this point is silly. Besides you, I doubt if you will find anyone else on this board that believes there is any justification for pressing when you up by over 30. I'm done with this thread.

As a coach, you want all players to get a chance to get better. You cannot tell players to "hold back" simply because the other team is not as good. AAU was originally for the best players. It has been too watered down over the years. In past years only the best of the best played AAU, therefore every game was very competitive. Now, anybody can find a team to play on. So what do you do? Punish your good players, by only allowing them to play a few minutes in a game, simply because you have a superior team? Teams like Pride and Flight have very few games that are close in this area. They can't travel every time they want a game. So, do you punish your better players all weekend by benching them so you won't embarrass the other team? If my team is bad enough to get beat by an embarrassing number of points, then I will not blame the other coach, rather "my own team." Players and teams should get better, not start pointing fingers. Instead of "blaming" Tiffany and her team, "praise" her for the outstanding effort she gets from her players. Most of the ones who cast the stones, if truth be told, would love to have a team capable of scoring at will. If I were on the losing end of that game, I would do two things--- start recruiting some more players and work their tales off on the things we got beat on. One of the problems in athletics is that too many coaches and parents start pointing fingers and making excuses. That is why so many of our young adults take no responsibilty for their actions. It's always someone else's fault. Well, as a former coach and as a parent, if I get beat by a huge margin, my hats are off to the opposition and I go back to square one and begin getting better. I respect Tiffany and admire her for what she has done for the Pride. It's a shame that all "above average" teams, whether it be high school or AAU, get accused of running up the scores. You people should quit placing blame and just worry about making your own players and teams better.

As a coach, you want all players to get a chance to get better. You cannot tell players to "hold back" simply because the other team is not as good. AAU was originally for the best players. It has been too watered down over the years. In past years only the best of the best played AAU, therefore every game was very competitive. Now, anybody can find a team to play on. So what do you do? Punish your good players, by only allowing them to play a few minutes in a game, simply because you have a superior team? Teams like Pride and Flight have very few games that are close in this area. They can't travel every time they want a game. So, do you punish your better players all weekend by benching them so you won't embarrass the other team? If my team is bad enough to get beat by an embarrassing number of points, then I will not blame the other coach, rather "my own team." Players and teams should get better, not start pointing fingers. Instead of "blaming" Tiffany and her team, "praise" her for the outstanding effort she gets from her players. Most of the ones who cast the stones, if truth be told, would love to have a team capable of scoring at will. If I were on the losing end of that game, I would do two things--- start recruiting some more players and work their tales off on the things we got beat on. One of the problems in athletics is that too many coaches and parents start pointing fingers and making excuses. That is why so many of our young adults take no responsibilty for their actions. It's always someone else's fault. Well, as a former coach and as a parent, if I get beat by a huge margin, my hats are off to the opposition and I go back to square one and begin getting better. I respect Tiffany and admire her for what she has done for the Pride. It's a shame that all "above average" teams, whether it be high school or AAU, get accused of running up the scores. You people should quit placing blame and just worry about making your own players and teams better.

AMEN!!!!! :(

I think your right with almost everything you said But if the Pride is having a hard time finding competition, have they tried Memphis. :thumb: