Terrible Tennessee Refs

Total90

Time ended is time ended according to FIFA Rules. There is no courtesy rule saying if you are on a break away or you are about to score that a referee can add time. When the clock strikes 0, the half or game should end. However, you will see most refs let the game or h alf continue a little longer during an attack, why I am not sure. It happened to Tennessee's ODP Game against Maryland. Three minutes were added, and Maryland scored in the 84th minute to win 1-0. Although it's rare to end the game during a corner, it's definitely the correct call.

You are right.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with some previous statements. Having reffed even small players, it is still difficult. My hats off to these guys who have actual jobs and ref in their spare time. It is harder than it looks, and I agree that no one knows them if they did well, but a few bad calls and everyone is hating. Everyone makes mistakes, and believe me I have ridden my fair share of referees.

Edited by lcsoccer

I agree with some previous statements. Having reffed even small players, it is still difficult. My hats off to these guys who have actual jobs and ref in their spare time. It is harder than it looks, and I agree that no one knows them if they did well, but a few bad calls and everyone is hating. Everyone makes mistakes, and believe me I have ridden my fair share of referees.

I saw a match where a young teen was working the line and called offsides when the defense was switching the field. The boy was confused and obviously new. The parents went ballistic on him as usual and several of us told them to shut up and leave the kid alone. The center overruled him and talked with him later. Parents were still grumbling to the parking lot.

Yes, a little more field training for new refs would help so much, and a little more patience from parents would help the turnover problems with refs quitting.

Experience takes time on the job, and you just can't teach it in a book.

I saw a match where a young teen was working the line and called offsides when the defense was switching the field. The boy was confused and obviously new. The parents went ballistic on him as usual and several of us told them to shut up and leave the kid alone. The center overruled him and talked with him later. Parents were still grumbling to the parking lot.

Yes, a little more field training for new refs would help so much, and a little more patience from parents would help the turnover problems with refs quitting.

Experience takes time on the job, and you just can't teach it in a book.

I agree. No practice or training can simulate reffing a game. And parents seem to be a large part of the problem. Are you a former player wmsmphs? If so, where in Memphis did you play?

it's also "adefeatisattitude" to automatically assume that the ref is wrong and you are not wrong. In order to be a great soccer player you must also be a student of the game. you constantly need to reassess your game and debrief yourself on what all went down. Could it possible be that you were offsides somewhere in that play? What did you do wrong that the ref saw? there are a lot of calls that I wonder what in world the ref was thinking-but in the end I know that all three of the refs we normally have are good, reasonable men who have some justification for whatever they call or dont call. i think all three would be happy to discuss with you what they called (after the game) if you approached them in a respectful manner. You have to consistently try to determine what you might have failed to do or what the ref saw that he called you on.

Bolton's defense was pushed up almost to the half-field and ya'll got nailed with their off -side trap a couple of times until you got your rythem down. If you were in the offside position and went forward "back" into the play that is why he got you. find out what you might need to work on--you wont grow as a soccer player if you always say "man! the ref's are ignorant and stupid."

id like to know about this place where you have good TN refs haha

Maybe we shouldn't argue with the refs, because they won't call the call back, no matter how bad it is.

um actually they do sometimes, some of the refs find themselves pointing the wrong way and arguing makes them notice what they have done wrong, arguing is a part of soccer and will always be there, and i know as a player i could do better than most if not all highschool refs in TN

um actually they do sometimes, some of the refs find themselves pointing the wrong way and arguing makes them notice what they have done wrong, arguing is a part of soccer and will always be there, and i know as a player i could do better than most if not all highschool refs in TN

lol-actually i said they were good, reasonable MEN...(not always good refs)

:lol: If these people can't ref, then who will? Play soccer the smart way and you will not have to worry as much about a ref making a bad call. Yes, they do make some bad calls at times but is there not a player who seem to always want to be right and not proven wrong and will let the ref know? Also there a lot of screamming parents in the sideline who will not stop their criticism. That would make any person make bad calls. :lol:

Get a game film of your next game, add up the ref's mistakes reffing and your mistakes playing, and see who made the most. Then maybe you will start paying attention to your game instead of his calls.

I agree. No practice or training can simulate reffing a game. And parents seem to be a large part of the problem. Are you a former player wmsmphs? If so, where in Memphis did you play?

No, I'm an old soccer dad who enters scores of any teams I learn about on Eurosportscoreboard.com with my free time to help any high school report their scores along with CoachT when I can. My oldest son played at CBHS from 2000 to 2003. He started out on CoachT until he went off to college to play at Lincoln Memorial.

My younger son is a senior player at White Station but is recovering from a hamstring injury against Rossview just before the season started and has only played a few minutes this season. He is really cranky right now. Tried to play in ECS game on Thursday and hobbled off the field after a couple of minutes completely frustrated.

Tried to come back too soon. He wanted to be back for Houston next week, but doesn't look good right now. Hope to see him play before the year ends, but at least he will play for Alabama Huntsville in college. He wants to help his high school team, but just can't. Never take your health for granted! Appreciate running against the wind in the days of your youth, because you never know when the last day you put your boots on will come!

I was asked to ref many years ago due to no available refs for young teams. I had no license and no idea what I was doing. The parents had no sympathy for me, they screamed and protested constantly. It is not an easy job and it takes training and experience. Believe me, I found out. I still wonder how I kept from punching out some parents that day. Thank goodness for communion!

Time ended is time ended according to FIFA Rules. There is no courtesy rule saying if you are on a break away or you are about to score that a referee can add time. When the clock strikes 0, the half or game should end. However, you will see most refs let the game or h alf continue a little longer during an attack, why I am not sure. It happened to Tennessee's ODP Game against Maryland. Three minutes were added, and Maryland scored in the 84th minute to win 1-0. Although it's rare to end the game during a corner, it's definitely the correct call.

Yeah, techniquely you are right. No time should be added for anything other than a PK. HOWEVER, I think anyone who has ever played soccer knows that a half shouldn't end on a scoring opportunity. Thats why soccer doesn't end on a buzzer, it ends when the ref determins that the game is over. It's one of those unwritten rules like never call a foul on a Hail Mary football pass or on the last shot of a basketball game. Its the spirit of the game we're talking about here, and no ref should violate that.

Jon Williams? He's a great player. I watched him play for the unvbelievable CBHS team in 2003, and also played against hime 2 years ago (I play for King now) You just seem to know your stuff and you are very unbiased. To your younger son I say good luck on a speedy recovery and I hope he goes on to live his college dream.