Congrats to Liberty on win over USJ!

necvol

I hope Wes Nicks is ok. Please give us an update on his status.

If the Bruins don't play a whole lot better, they won't make it to State much less win it. The team seems to have lost their focus. There is time to turn it around but it is going to take all the boys working together instead as individuals.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bruins don't play a whole lot better, they won't make it to State much less win it. The team seems to have lost their focus. There is time to turn it around but it is going to take all the boys working together instead as individuals.

Saw Wes briefly after the game. Except for the big mark on his neck, he appears to be OK.

Congrats to Liberty on the big win! Can someone give me a brief overview of the game and what happened to Wes?

Wes started pitching for Liberty, Spencer Nelson for USJ. Liberty had a leadoff double by Xan Stewart in first followed by an RBI single by Cody Fuqua. USJ tied it in the 3rd or 4th when Preston Overby hit a line drive back up the middle that struck Wes in the throat and scored Zack Smith (who had doubled). Ethan Pipkin broke the tie with a HR in the 4thish inning and Freshman Josh Lindsey pitched the rest of the game and Liberty held on for the win. USJ lost a few guys on the bases that hurt scoring opportunities, Catcher Eric McLemore threw out a couple of guys trying to steal third and Pipkin threw out a man at home on an infield ground ball. Good defense by both teams. That's about it.

You people are unbelievable. Liberty is a solid team. You are not going to win every game. Keep putting that kind of pressure on young kids and you will really see a lack of focus. Give Liberty some credit for holding on against a good team. Every time you lose is not because of a lack of focus. Sometimes you just get, flat, outplayed

You people are unbelievable. Liberty is a solid team. You are not going to win every game. Keep putting that kind of pressure on young kids and you will really see a lack of focus. Give Liberty some credit for holding on against a good team. Every time you lose is not because of a lack of focus. Sometimes you just get, flat, outplayed

I started this thread out by giving full credit to Liberty for a fine effort. I know a lot of the Liberty players and I am not taking anything away from their outstanding effort. Both Wes Nicks (glad he is ok) and the Freshman pitcher did a great job.

Anyone who has followed USJ's baseball team this year knows that the effort put forth by the Bruins was far below what their capable of doing. I stand by my statement. I don't think stating the obvious is putting too much pressure on a team that is going to have to deal with a lot more pressure in order to achieve any of their TEAM goals. The TEAM established their goals and it is up to them to decide if they really want to accomplish what they are truly capable of accomplishing. At USJ we expect our young men and young women to do their best (not just in athletics) and it is quite apparent that at this time this baseball team is not living up to these expectations or capabilities.

Once again, great game by Liberty and congratulations on a big win for their program.

I started this thread out by giving full credit to Liberty for a fine effort. I know a lot of the Liberty players and I am not taking anything away from their outstanding effort. Both Wes Nicks (glad he is ok) and the Freshman pitcher did a great job.

Anyone who has followed USJ's baseball team this year knows that the effort put forth by the Bruins was far below what their capable of doing. I stand by my statement. I don't think stating the obvious is putting too much pressure on a team that is going to have to deal with a lot more pressure in order to achieve any of their TEAM goals. The TEAM established their goals and it is up to them to decide if they really want to accomplish what they are truly capable of accomplishing. At USJ we expect our young men and young women to do their best (not just in athletics) and it is quite apparent that at this time this baseball team is not living up to these expectations or capabilities.

Once again, great game by Liberty and congratulations on a big win for their program.

While I'm sure they appreciate your congrats, I don't think Liberty would consider it a "big win for their program". It's always good to be an in town team for bragging right purposes, but since it's not a district game and Liberty hasn't been around long enough or played USJ enough for it to be a rivalry game, it's just another good win over a good oponent. A big win IMO would be more like a district game, rivalry game, tournament championship game, postseason game, etc. Liberty Played 2 bigger games Monday and Tuesday--district games against South Side. I know USJ expected to win the game, but so did Liberty, as both teams should have. Now that Liberty has beaten USJ, if they meet again in a regular season game, it will probably be a bigger game for USJ than Liberty because of the revenge factor, and if they play regularly could develop into a rivalry game (friendly rivalry, hopefully), which would be good for both schools and the city.